Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

what HIDextra kit matches these ultras? (pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 09:42 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what HIDextra kit matches these ultras? (pics!)

Last edited by robertoyou; 06-08-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-06-10, 09:43 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

if you have pics of pics of the 6000k HIDExtra kit please post!!!!!! i need to try and match these silverstar ultras with some hidextra for my fogs!
Old 06-07-10, 08:28 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by robertoyou
if you have pics of pics of the 6000k HIDExtra kit please post!!!!!! i need to try and match these silverstar ultras with some hidextra for my fogs!
I would say from head on it looks like the 6000k. However the light output doesnt look like my 5000k at all. The light output looks dim/yellowish on your pictures. My light output is crisp white with a small bit of blue at the edge of the cutoff. Head on the 5000k looks pure whereas your silverstar ultras look a little blue. Maybe your headlight housing is plastic and tinted with a color though? Thats the case in my LS430 headlight housing which is tinted a light green.

If i was in your postion i would just get the HIDextra kit for the lows and skip the fogs.

Also if you didnt know the housing on the foglights is supposed to be different than the low beam housing which will alter the color. After installing the hidextra kit on my low beams when i turn the fog lights on they do nothing to help. High beams are pointless as well.

From what i read the silverstar ultras dont last very long. For many people they blow out every 3-4 months.

Also by getting the HIDextra kit on your lows you will be putting a lesser load on your alternator. The hidextra kit is 35 watts for each HID vs 55 watts for each silverstar ultra bulb. When i used to have the stock philips 55w halogen for my lows in the LX470 the glass on the headlight housing would be hot to the touch after the philips 55w halogens would be on for even 10 secs or longer. Now my headlight housing is cool to the touch with the HIDextra kit.

Unless you are always using your foglights or have fog everyday in your area, i would recommend to just keep those silverstar ultras as a backup just in case if something fails on your hidextra kit and get the hidextra low beam kit. Nothing failed on my Hidextra kit but i still keep my stock philips halogen bulbs as a backup just in case so i wont be without lights. There would be a more noticable difference if you get hid's on your low beam rather than your fogs. You should see a slight difference with hid's in your fogs but it wont be as big of a difference as if you just put HID's in your lows. If you have projectors in your GS then definitely get the hid's in your lows as there would be a tremendous difference.

If you have the extra cash and really need your fogs pickup a kit for your low beams and fogs in the same color. Get 5000k if you want a white appearance headon and 6000k if you want a blue/light blue appearance headon. 5000k outputs more lumens/light than 6000k that is usable on the road. As you start going to higher colors such as 8000k and 10000k they give you a more colorful appearance headon but provide less usable light.

Last edited by elite7; 06-07-10 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-07-10, 10:42 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by elite7
I would say from head on it looks like the 6000k. However the light output doesnt look like my 5000k at all. The light output looks dim/yellowish on your pictures. My light output is crisp white with a small bit of blue at the edge of the cutoff. Head on the 5000k looks pure whereas your silverstar ultras look a little blue. Maybe your headlight housing is plastic and tinted with a color though? Thats the case in my LS430 headlight housing which is tinted a light green.

If i was in your postion i would just get the HIDextra kit for the lows and skip the fogs.

Also if you didnt know the housing on the foglights is supposed to be different than the low beam housing which will alter the color. After installing the hidextra kit on my low beams when i turn the fog lights on they do nothing to help. High beams are pointless as well.

From what i read the silverstar ultras dont last very long. For many people they blow out every 3-4 months.

Also by getting the HIDextra kit on your lows you will be putting a lesser load on your alternator. The hidextra kit is 35 watts for each HID vs 55 watts for each silverstar ultra bulb. When i used to have the stock philips 55w halogen for my lows in the LX470 the glass on the headlight housing would be hot to the touch after the philips 55w halogens would be on for even 10 secs or longer. Now my headlight housing is cool to the touch with the HIDextra kit.

Unless you are always using your foglights or have fog everyday in your area, i would recommend to just keep those silverstar ultras as a backup just in case if something fails on your hidextra kit and get the hidextra low beam kit. Nothing failed on my Hidextra kit but i still keep my stock philips halogen bulbs as a backup just in case so i wont be without lights. There would be a more noticable difference if you get hid's on your low beam rather than your fogs. You should see a slight difference with hid's in your fogs but it wont be as big of a difference as if you just put HID's in your lows. If you have projectors in your GS then definitely get the hid's in your lows as there would be a tremendous difference.

If you have the extra cash and really need your fogs pickup a kit for your low beams and fogs in the same color. Get 5000k if you want a white appearance headon and 6000k if you want a blue/light blue appearance headon. 5000k outputs more lumens/light than 6000k that is usable on the road. As you start going to higher colors such as 8000k and 10000k they give you a more colorful appearance headon but provide less usable light.
well baising it off the first three pics. it looks more lik ethe 6000k?
thanks for the help man

for now im going to try and stick the hids in my fogs. i only want the fogs so i wont have to pint the bulbs down or deal with any of that.
the fogs are low enough that they wont blind anyone and i dont have to worry about if their too bright or anything like that, i can easily shut them off.

anyways, if the hids dont look good in the fogs, il put them in the lows. their the same type anyways.

and no i dont have tinted housing, its cus in the first few pics i didnt use flash, so i got more of the real color. in the last couple pics i did use the flash, so the flash kind of cut off some of the color. weird.. but it did do that.

i dont have projectors or else id definitely do the hids in the lows

i do really use the fogs, i love how the fogs and lows look together, so the fogs would help me alot when i turn them on.

for now im just looking to what kit matches these ultras as much as possible

Last edited by robertoyou; 06-07-10 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-07-10, 11:23 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey robert, you need to remove the last 2 pictures cause when your flash went on it canceled out the color in the bulbs and is bad for reference.
Old 06-08-10, 12:05 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Hey robert, you need to remove the last 2 pictures cause when your flash went on it canceled out the color in the bulbs and is bad for reference.
just removed them! thanks for reminding me. kept thinking to do it but didnt do it.

im not getting many replies on this. or anyone posting their 6000k hidextra kit. but i guess 6000k for all my exterior will match best
Old 06-09-10, 10:04 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
just removed them! thanks for reminding me. kept thinking to do it but didnt do it.

im not getting many replies on this. or anyone posting their 6000k hidextra kit. but i guess 6000k for all my exterior will match best
here's my hidextra 6000k (both low's and fogs) link below post #475 for reference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...embers-32.html
Old 06-10-10, 12:12 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by vince22
here's my hidextra 6000k (both low's and fogs) link below post #475 for reference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...embers-32.html
great! thanks man! ive seen that pic before, and i actually love how it looks!!! hopefully mine will look like that. and it does look very much like my
ultras! i ordered them two days ago so im hoping they will be here tomorrow.
now that i see yours, im excited and i think they will match!

thanks for the pictures as referance!