Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights?? headlight mod inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 01:00 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Shonuff
if anyone need in depth pics of removing the headlight..........let me know and i can post the pics. the actual amber lens removal procedure was a pain in the booty. so i would suggest not doing it lol

i just dig this pic.....so i posted it.

is that manik sidebars on there nick? hehehehe
BTW, also dig the sidebars! I'm not a fan of the other front and rear bars though - doesn't fit the RX's personality for some reason... but that's just my opinion. Also don't like any of the body kits I've seen - makes the RX look like a sporty mini-van.
Old 08-05-02, 01:03 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

here you can see the difference...........driver side modded with a 2001 headlight and amber lens removed.
Okay, two more things and I promise I'll quit posting in this thread for the day...

1. Where are the instructions for doing this mod?

and

2. Where'd you get the "RX" logo's on the side of your ride - now those I've GOTTA have!

ck
Old 08-05-02, 01:16 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Hey Spin,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our RX300 uses D2R HID bulbs, since we have the free-form headlight. The Projector-based headlight HID uses D2S.

Here's a couple of pics of my Ultinons that I removed already...

cheers,
Hendry
Attached Thumbnails Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights??  headlight mod inside-dcp00347.jpg  
Old 08-05-02, 01:17 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Here's another pic of the Ultinons

PM or Email me if you're interested.... (hleo1@usa.net)

-Hendry
Attached Thumbnails Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights??  headlight mod inside-dcp00349.jpg  
Old 08-05-02, 01:20 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

As for the turn signal lightbulbs, I highly recommend using the Philips Silvervision, it's simply the best!

Currently I have them for my rear side turn signals. They are completely silver finish when off, and completely Yellow when turned on.

Buy it from this website, they're cheap...

http://www.powerbulbs.com/svoffer.htm

-Hendry
Old 08-05-02, 05:06 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I don't think "ricer" is a derrogatory term. It represents cars that have "go-fast" looking mods, but aren't really fast. IE: big spoilers, stickers, YELLOW EVERYWHERE It's a trend, and I know some guys who put sticker on their cars (koreans, chinese, japanese guys) that say "got rice?"

I was a big foot Toyota Tacoma the other day that said "Jumbo Rice"

CK1_RX3, also, the BMW lights aren't really blue like the illegal bulbs used. Those are truly blue - the bimmer hids (among others) have optics that give off a bluISH color flicker at certain angles. They are actually a bright white when compared to the 6000k and above HID kits, and other blue bulbs.
Old 08-05-02, 08:05 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Legal question....

Originally posted by CK1_RX3

One thing I have a problem with (and I've seen it here before on this forum which surprises me) is your use of the term "ricers..." Is it just me, or is that not a derogatory term for either a Japanese/Asian-made vehicle or an Asian person? You're driving a Japanese vechile, so doesn't that seem a little hypocritical? Whether you meant it negatively or not, it's not too straight... It's a shame to hear that kind of think - not too much better than the "n" word.

My apologies if it came off that way, I'll try to clarify...

In my circle of automotive friends, we generally use the term "Ricers" to refer to the folks that do pointless or unfinished mods to their vehicles. This has nothing to do with race or skin-color, in fact, most of the ricers in my area could be classified as non-Asian!

Yup... all the freakin' stickers and neon-tubes in the world aren't gonna make that 4-banger sewing machine go any faster, lol.

But hey, to have a clear definition of what "rice" is, go here: http://www.chefjosh.com/rice.shtml

There's quote from the above link that says "The only thing that makes a car riced is when the components added to the car are not appropriate for that car." Well things like adding ground effects to an SUV is rice ... or adding neon lighting to a refined luxry car like a Lexus, MB, or Jaguar is rice... etc. etc. etc.

Or for more fun there is always: http://www.beaterz.com/reviews/rice.htm
Old 08-05-02, 08:23 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default Ahhh... some of the legal stuff...

I came across this... interesting reading.
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/interps/r...ns_6_20_00.htm
Old 08-05-02, 09:31 PM
Jonnystan
Driver

Haha very funny article. I agree that putting stickers of stuff that doesnt really exist in your car is dumb, but at the same time I think "Chef Josh" is attacking the integrity of the aftermarket industry. The majority of sales in aftermarket products is for Honda Civics, and while they are cheap, they would still be a fun car to put mods on....you know....make it unique. Hey if nothing else they are supporting the economy by spending their money. Yes, very very loud exhausts are annoying, but if that is what you want then go for it. Better than those half inch diameter exhausts that come stock with Civics. As for SUVs, isnt putting $5,000 chrome rims on absoulutely pointless. It serves no purpose except looks....but no one seems to jump all over that. As for body kits, I have one on my RX. To me, the front seemed almost as it forgot a peice....it just recesses back sharply all of the sudden. While some like that....I didnt. So I found a front air dam I liked, and it would look retarded with out the sides and the rear....so I got the whole sha-bang. And I love it! It pleases ME, and that is the most important thing. It separates my car from the hundreds of 40+ women who drive RX's in my area. Now people will know I am not driving my mothers car, and that is a good thing.
In closing, while it is a bit funny to see a Geo Metro on rims with exhaust (there is one at my school), in the end, he is just a car-enthusiast like me who was less fortunate in what car he ended up with (in my opinion ). I think rather than ridicule the poor guy, we should say "well, at least he is spending his money on cars and not something like a Star Trek Convention." Those people need to be ridiculed
Old 08-06-02, 08:42 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

ck_1rx3:

thanks for the words...............i agree on the bar thing. i like the side tubes.....not very fond of the jail houes front bars. to me they look ridiculous on a sport utility vehichle that will only see pavement. kinda like the way they say ricer about certain cars.........should this not apply to these offroad "brush guards" on a pavement pounder?

the amber lens removal is very hard to do. removing the headlight isn't so bad. i'll post some pics later on how i did it. the amber lens was horrible to get out. i removed the bulb then used a dremel to grind the lip off of the amber lens, it made a mess on the inside of the lens. scattered amber dust all over the inside.

had to get a small vac to remove all the dust.......also had to use a computer cleaner to blow some of it loose in order to vac it out.

then i had to use needle nose pliers to grab and brake the lens up into small enough pieces to pull it thru the light bulb hole. very hard and tedious process. i'll post more later
Hey Sho,
It sounds like a process I can handle, but I've gotta admit that you've got me a little fearful as I am not bothered that terribly much by the stock amber lenses... it would be nice to remove them, but I have other mods I want to do first.

Oh yeah, and as for my "ricer" rant earlier in this post, I think maybe I should relax a little - I was a bit tense yesterday... Rice-away! And thanks for the clarifications all!

Ck
Old 08-06-02, 10:13 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

ck: they didn't bother me all that much either.................just thought i would do it since there was a thread up asking if it could be done. well, it can hahaha. but, i don't think it is really worth all the trouble...........it took me a couple of hours just to get all the amber plastic "dust" out of the headlight. it actually went to more then just the turn indicator. the dust was in the fog light area and also up in the low/hi beam area. no funn at all.

what other mods are you thinking about?
Tonight I'm picking up some "bluish" HID look-alike bulbs for the low-beams... I think they'll look killer with the clear lenses on the RX (though some may disagree). On the "lighting" front, I may also replace the foggies, hi-beams, parking lights, and maybe the "amber" signal lenses in the taillights with Phillips Silver Vision. I also recently purchased a set of driving lights to replace my existing driving lights (which were black plastic with the iradescent lenses)... the new ones that I have yet to install are aluminum with housing that matches my Milennium Silver paint 'almost' perfectly, and these have blue lenses... that takes care of the lighting... oh yeah, I'm going to replace all interior lights with something funky too (dome lights, door lights, etc), but I haven't decided what yet.

I just ordered a TRD high-flow filter (K&N) from the Lexus dealership, so that's on it's way (and install takes all of 30 seconds as you know).

An RMM exhaust fits in here somewhere, but I'm not sure when I'm going to buy it yet - that will replace the chromed muffler tip on that's on my RX at the present moment.... really looking forward to that.

I don't think I'll ever add a body kit or sidesteps just because I like the look of the stock body style, but you never know...

If a supercharger becomes available somewhere in the future, I'll probably HAVE to HAVE one of those!

May at some point step up to 18" rims if I can get OEM when the new RX 330 comes out, but I've got the chromed OEM 16" rims now and I really like 'em... plus Wisconsin winters aren't really conducive to lower profile tires as they tend to lack tread depth needed for snow... As much as I like the look, my practical side starts to take over (especially since I like the look of the OEMS).

Finally, when I need new tires I'll probably go for the Pirelli Scorpian ST... should improve handling since it's "H" speed rated and the psi is 44 lbs.

I think that's everything. What about you? What's in your future?
Old 08-06-02, 10:16 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by hleo1
As for the turn signal lightbulbs, I highly recommend using the Philips Silvervision, it's simply the best!

Currently I have them for my rear side turn signals. They are completely silver finish when off, and completely Yellow when turned on.

Buy it from this website, they're cheap...

http://www.powerbulbs.com/svoffer.htm

-Hendry
Hey Hendry,
I didn't think the RX had HID? Am I mistaken? If yes, what years have HID?
Ck
Old 08-06-02, 10:41 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Please shed some "light"...

Okay, call me stoopid if you must, but I don't get all the "bulb" talk around here... Are our RX's lights HID already, or would I need some kind of an upgrade kit? Can I just buy a 9006 bulb and plug and play (or 9005 for high's)?
Can someone please take a few minutes and explain all this to a "light" dummie?
Thanks!
Ck
Old 08-06-02, 11:02 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Default The Truth behind HIDs....

HIDs are an option on 2001 and up Rex's (AFAIK). Simply popping in a different bulb into a standard headlight system does NOT give you a true HID system.

HID (high intensity discharge) lamps are currently the brighest and clearest (due to full spectrum light coverage), street-legal technology available. Because they are so bright, the OEM HID systems include two critical components: an angle sensor that senses the approach angle of the vehicle and servo-motors on the lamp holders to compensate for that angle. The whole idea behind this is too prevent blinding other drivers and to keep the lamps on the road.

Example: When you ascent a hill, the angle makes your vehicle point away more from the road, effectively pointing you lamps more upward, which in turn takes their light off the road surface and possibly blinding the car in front of you due to mirror reflections. The sensor will sense this angle change and automatically repoint the the lamps more into the road.

When you next descend the hill, the angle would make your lamps practically point straight into the ground, thus cutting down on the lamps ability to light the road further ahead of you. Again, the sensor will sense this and aim the lamps higher.

It's easy to tell if you have OEM HIDs: point your vehicle towards a wall at night (ie, garage door), and start the car. If you have HIDs, you'll see the lamp light start at the top of the wall, travel down and then level off. This is the system checking and adjusting itself. Takes only about 2 seconds.

A true aftermarket HID system will have ballasts, sensors and motorized lamps. And you are talking at least several hunred $$$.

Hope I explained this well, if not, I'll try to clarify any point.

TC

Last edited by RX300TC; 08-06-02 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-02, 11:48 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Default Re: The Truth behind HIDs....

Originally posted by RX300TC
HIDs are an option on 2001 and up Rex's (AFAIK). Simply popping in a different bulb into a standard headlight system does NOT give you a true HID system.

HID (high intensity discharge) lamps are currently the brighest and clearest (due to full spectrum light coverage), street-legal technology available. Because they are so bright, the OEM HID systems include two critical components: an angle sensor that senses the approach angle of the vehicle and servo-motors on the lamp holders to compensate for that angle. The whole idea behind this is too prevent blinding other drivers and to keep the lamps on the road.

Example: When you ascent a hill, the angle makes your vehicle point away more from the road, effectively pointing you lampmore upward, which in turn takes their light off the road surface and possibly blinding the car in front of you due to mirror reflections. The sensor will sense this angle change and automatically repoint the the lamps more into the road.

When you next descend the hill, the angle would make your lamps practically point straight into the ground, thus cutting down on the lamps ability to light the road further ahead of you. Again, the sensor will sense this and aim the lamps higher.

It's easy to tell if you have OEM HIDs: point your vehicle towards a wall at night (ie, garage door), and start the car. If you have HIDs, you'll see the lamp light start at the top of the wall, travel down and then level off. This is the system checking and adjusting itself. Takes only about 2 seconds.

A true aftermarket HID system will have ballasts, sensors and motorized lamps. And you are talking at least several hunred $$$.

Hope I explained this well, if not, I'll try to clarify any point.

TC
You really explained this VERY well! I understand completely now... HID doesn't have anything to do with bulb color or type, but instead pertains to the adjustment features you were describing... I believe my father's GS400 has HID as I have seen them adjust (plus it's a fully loaded 2000, so I'm sure it's HID), whereas my '01 RX does not have HID (I don't think anyways... seem to remember that being way too much $$$ to justify the extra cost, and I think the dealer salesman might have even told me they couldn't get the HID units for the RX at the time I bought it, but I might be making that up to make myself feel better about not having HID :-) J/K!
I will continue with my plan to purchase the "blue" 9006 bulbs for my RX because I like the look, but I now know that this is not HID. Thanks RX300TC!
ck

Quick Reply: Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights?? headlight mod inside