Who wanted the orange out of their RX 300 headlights?? headlight mod inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 06:24 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by spinteews
Hey Ck

I have heard someone melting there wiring before on the Rx3 from using a higher wattage bulb. I dont remember who it was but someone did.

Also my friend used similar bulbs before in her accord and twice it has popped and left the bulb shattering all over in her housing which is still there since she cant get it out. I used to use those bulbs in my sisters car and give it about a year or 2 and then it will go out. If your lucky then it'll last longer. Its a cheap effective way to make your lights look and be brighter (i still use it in my sisters car) but i'd rather switch over to HIDS. It will be expensive but well worth of an investment/mod.

I'm running 6000k temp in my car and it looks great. but the higher in temp you go for HID bulbs the more color difference and and less light output you see on the ground. If i went with a 7500k bulb then i woudl have less light output then what i currently have now.

I woudl suggest you go check out and see if you can get any 9006 hid kits that are 4200k or 6000k on ebay. sometimes there are good deals...

HAHA just like Nick, once you go HID u dont want to go back... sometimes driving my sisters car i wonder if the light is on or not LoL

Thanks SHo for the pics... too bad like usual i cant see it at work AHHAH, but i'll check em out when i get home... mabbie that'll be my next project

That was me. I would caution anyone on using these aftermarket xenon bulbs. Not only will the bulbs burn out after 4-6 months of use, they will burn the wires because they use a high watts (80-100) vs 55W. Luckly my dealership replaced the wires under the warranty. Using lower watts should be Ok, as someone suggested.
Old 08-09-02, 06:36 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ShaggyRogers
You are right CK1, the more wattage doesn't always = to more light...it depends on the lumens outage. I would still think your 80 watts would be a little brighter than my 65 watts...but am not positive about this since I don't have any experience with the 80 watts bulbs.

Upgrade to HIDs if you can, otherwise, play it safe. I am going to wait a bit before going with HIDs since I just got the manik side tubes, chrome tailgate handle, and all new lights. Don't want to upset the wife with all this spending...after all, the HIDs would be safer for her to drive, last longer, and be a better investment in the long run Hope she buy into this

Have a good one!
Right on Shaggy! Gotta get creative sometimes when trying to convince the wife (or in my case significant other) about "safety" items for the car such as HID! I ordered some Razo "HID's" yesterday along with the parking light bulbs to match because I've heard that they're the closest to HID you can get without getting HID, Razo is a quality name, and they 55 watt bulbs so they will be safe and gentle on my harnesses! I'll let you know how they turn out, but sorry, I don't have a digital camera to post pics.
On another note, I made the recent discovery that the '01 RX actually uses a very "dim" version of the highbeam lights as daytime running lights, and that the actual "parking lights" are only on when you've got your headlights on... Gonna have to get rid of the "yellows" in the high beams as well I guess!
ck
Old 08-09-02, 11:04 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

Good choice on the Razo... too bad they have some REALLY good bulbs called Magnum Whites... but none for the 9006 size. They only have i think 1 product on the 9006 size but thats fine. My friend has those Magnum Whites on his celica fogs while real HIDS on his lows and they match up VERY GOOD.

another thing is i think its kinda useless to swap out the DRL/Highbeams. They are pretty useless once you go to HIDS... and if you want to change them so they dont look yellowish. Even tho i put on some PIAA bulbs into my high beams.... those DRL uses low wattages to make them DRL's which makes the light the same as stock bulbs... so save your money and leave the DRLS alone ...
Old 08-09-02, 11:57 AM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by spinteews
Good choice on the Razo... too bad they have some REALLY good bulbs called Magnum Whites... but none for the 9006 size. They only have i think 1 product on the 9006 size but thats fine. My friend has those Magnum Whites on his celica fogs while real HIDS on his lows and they match up VERY GOOD.

another thing is i think its kinda useless to swap out the DRL/Highbeams. They are pretty useless once you go to HIDS... and if you want to change them so they dont look yellowish. Even tho i put on some PIAA bulbs into my high beams.... those DRL uses low wattages to make them DRL's which makes the light the same as stock bulbs... so save your money and leave the DRLS alone ...
hey spin,
thanks... too bad I can't get the Magnums! Well, the ones I got are Premium White Zero - seemed to be the best option out of the three offered by Razo...
Just a though - did you try a bulb with a heavier blue coating on it than the PIAA in your DRL's? That might do the trick because it should appear whiter at the lower wattage/power level that the DRL's run at - just like more blue in clothes washing detergent makes the yellow armpits and collars on your white t-shirts whiter, a bulb coated with a heavier blue color should whiten up the yellow of the bulb. Just an idea - not sure if it'd work or not.
ck
Old 08-10-02, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Look at the GS or IS (not sure of other models) when the HIDs are turned on, the headlight moves on the inside. That is the AUTO-LEVELING feature, a feature that helps not blind people. For instance, if you have your trunk loaded, your headlights normally ain toward the sky and other drives, with AUTO LEVELING, the headlights will compensate and aim downward.

The cars have 4 sensors behind each wheel, that is why you cannot retrofit OEM Lexus HIDs.

Some cars HID's may seem brighter, but they are missing this feature and may blind you (Acura HID's for instance, or retrofit kits).

Hope this helps
Old 08-10-02, 02:39 PM
LexFather

DO NOT buy CHEAP fake HID bulbs, they can burn the wires and you will have to replace (not an expensive thing, you can replace yourself).

Always purchase a high quality bulb (hell like our cars)