Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Review of new XenonDepot Xtreme 5000K HID bulbs on 2IS and CL-only discount code

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 09:07 AM
jasonart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,

Is the clouding the cause for the shadow on the road? I know people say that is normal because HID's are so bright but I have not seen any other car including my wife's Acura display lights this way.

I have seen a post or two from others saying it is keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I understand that point and it makes total sense but . . . my car is the only one I have seen like this. Have you heard anyone else mention it?

UPS says I will have my lights today so i should be able to get them installed. You know, I did not take a picture of the original lights so I could do a before an after. Dang, I might try to do it tonight. We live in Minnesota and my son plays high school hockey which is in full swing now so I don't get much time to mess with it. Not to mention, it is cold outside.

Have a great day!
Jason Artwohl
Old 11-30-12, 02:31 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It's possible but I honestly don't think so. I guess we'll find out soon enough once you get the lights in - hockey comes first though =)

Have a good weekend.

Steve
Old 11-30-12, 06:18 PM
jasonart
Rookie

Default New DS4 5000K Installed

Hi Steve,

I got the lights installed and so far they look good. They are bright white and look cool from the front of the car.

Please see the attached picture of the stair like affect I am referring to. It just seems like something isn't right with the shadow and how the lights seem so close to the front of my car that they don't really provide adequate light.

The first picture is from inside my car with my lights shining in the driveway. You can see the stair like effect of the lights.

The second picture is where I am standing outside my drivers door taking a picture in front of the car. When driving down the road, the lights don't seem to provide much light. This is not an issue with the HID lights I just installed because the lights I just took out seemed to do the same thing.

However, I hope these new lights do not randomly turn off.

I will try to report in a few days after driving around town.

Thanks,
Jason
Attached Thumbnails Review of new XenonDepot Xtreme 5000K HID bulbs on 2IS and CL-only discount code-headlights-1.jpg   Review of new XenonDepot Xtreme 5000K HID bulbs on 2IS and CL-only discount code-headlights-2.jpg  
Old 12-02-12, 05:58 PM
jasonart
Rookie

OK, so I spent all day messing around with the screws on either side of the car trying to get the lights straightened out. I turned each screw about 100 times to get them higher and pointed in the right direction in front of my car.

I think they are much better and providing light farther down the road and I do not see the stair like affect nearly as much. I think I have to adjust the right one a little more because it seems to be shining outward and not in front of my car enough.

We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-02-12, 07:49 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When you adjust the vertical aim of the headlight, you also have to adjust the horizontal aim as that changes too. There's a thread on here that has more specific instructions of how to do so.
Old 12-03-12, 06:17 AM
jasonart
Rookie

Yep, I did both on both sides. It is a lot better now where I don't see the stair like effect directly in front of my car. I think the right one needs a little more tuning as it seems to be pointing to the right instead of directly in front of my car. Not sure how the previous owner drove this car with the headlights like this.
Old 12-03-12, 08:26 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

jasonart: Thanks for posting! It looks like you need to adjust your headlights as you have figured out. Check your vehicle's owners manual as it should go into detail about how to properly adjust your headlights. I'm happy to hear that you like the color output of the bulbs though =)

Steve

PS Nice decorations!
Old 12-03-12, 11:02 AM
jasonart
Rookie

Hi Steve,

Yes, I spent a lot of time reading the manual and sifting these postings to make sure I knew what to do. What a pain in the neck!

I must have turned each screw about 100 times to get them pointed in the right direction, high enough so I could see more than 20 feet in front of my car etc. I am not sure how the previous owner drove the car like this. There is no way it was safe unless you drove during the day.

My wife and I drove past each other a few times to ensure my lights were not pointed too high. I think they are good for now although, I will likely move the right one in a little more because it seems to still shine a lot of light off to the right of my car.

So far, the lights are good, bright and look good in my car.

Thanks Steve! Have a great day!

Jason
Old 12-04-12, 11:31 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Glad to hear you're happy with the 5000k D4S bulbs. Any issues with the lights shutting off like your old ones?

Steve
Old 12-05-12, 05:52 AM
jasonart
Rookie

Hi Steve,

Nope, so far so good.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 12-05-12, 08:46 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

awesome! thanks for the feedback.

Steve
Old 12-28-12, 12:01 AM
MJEpting
Driver School Candidate

Hey Steve,

I'm new to Club Lexus but I saw this review of the 5000k HID bulbs and thought they looked great. My current bulbs were wearing out so I decided I was going to buy 2 bulbs. When I got the confirmation email it said it said that I apparently chose 6500k bulbs instead of the 5000k. I went on the site and said it was to late to change the order.

So I was wondering just how blue are the 6500k bulbs (I prefer bright white) and then if I don't like the 6500k what the procedure is for exchanging them for 5000k bulbs.

Thanks in advance, Matthew
Old 12-28-12, 03:09 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

MJEpting - When did you place your order? If your order hasn't shipped yet we may be able to change it. Please give us a call at 1-877-522-2701 for quicker support. As far as the color goes the 6500K will be a little more blue then the 5000K. Once the HID bulbs have been installed unfortunately we can't take them back since we don't sell any used components.

Here are some examples of the differences between the two.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Lexus-HID-...iew-s/1227.htm

-Danny
Old 02-01-13, 05:58 PM
LB23
Driver

Wanted to report that since I swapped the bulbs, everything has been all good since.

Apologize for the delay.
Old 02-02-13, 01:46 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Output looks good!

Quick Reply: Review of new XenonDepot Xtreme 5000K HID bulbs on 2IS and CL-only discount code