Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Filmy Headlight remedy

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 03:16 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine are still crap.. I haven't tried leaving the wax on longer... I probably will in the next few days since I'm not tied up, damn college.
Old 10-19-02, 04:04 AM
JasonChen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Mother's detailing kit which comes with a clay bar, just rub it good and it turns out nice and clear.
Old 10-19-02, 11:59 AM
LexFather

I am going to sticky this, as it is a problem for the earlier cars. So if your not going to take the headlight apart.

1. Try wax
2. Scratch remover.

This is great stuff people.
Old 10-19-02, 02:56 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Rro
I had the yellowing problem with my 92 es300. I used a product called "Scratch Remover" from Walmart. Comes in a yellow bottle. It was intended from minor scratches like key scratches around the door lock and rubbing swirls from washing the car. Applied in circular motions to the lens, let dry to a haze, and clean with clean cloth. Yellowing and haze was gone. Lens crystal clear. No oven baking, demel tool, disecting the lamp. Try it. It removes the oxidation layer from the lens. Be sure to follow up with a polish or rain treatment.

You can send the money you save to me
Did this do anything for fine scatches or that kind of stuff? I might test some Scratch X on a small inconspicous area, I'd been hesitant to use anything like that on the plastic.
Old 10-19-02, 11:05 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I just waxed mine down.. It's as shiny as ever. :eek: But... that stuff on the top (picture on page1) is still there.. Don't know how take that crap off!
Old 10-20-02, 07:21 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Worked for me

Thanks for the tip, I always assumed the "fog" was on the inside, but I waxed it with the rest of my car today, and the lights look perfect.
Old 10-22-02, 12:20 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my headlight housings are nice and clean... though they were only replaced like a year ago after a bad accident to the front end. cleaning the car takes up a lot of time. cleaned the inside, outside, and headlights... but that engine bay of mine... hard to clean. anyone know how to get that black grime stuff off the engine cover?...
Old 10-22-02, 08:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I did the ScatchX, didn't help much, but my problem is more with scratches and little marks. I hadn't thought of claying them, I'll have to give that a shot next spring when the car's up for reclaying. Thanks!
Old 10-23-02, 12:56 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

I waxed the headlights yesterday...Drastic Improvement .
Old 10-24-02, 10:19 AM
Rro
Rookie

Kyle,
According to the label, the product is intended for newer cars and safe on gelcoats. As with any products, care should be taken. This is not an endorsement for the product. I can only say what has worked for me. It works! Like many on this site, I thought the hazing and yellowing was inside the headlight (based on comments of dismantling the headlights) but, before ontaking a task of heating and prying presealed headlights, one should try simpler methods. Scratch Remover is $2 to $3 dollars depending on where you buy it. It's designed to remove scratches not create scratches. I also use it on my boat (gelcoat and lights) and it works wonders. Keeping in mind marine environments are much harsher than land environments.

Granted, it will not work for everyone. Internal hazing of the headlights indicate a greater problem (seals, etc...). For those looking to for a simple fix or less complicated way to brigthen/remove normal EXTERNAL haze from their lights, this may help.

A simple test to determine if the haze is external is the run your fingernail across the part of the headlight that's not showing (top of light under the hood is a good place). If the fingernail make a mark in the haze, go for it.

Just want to help. I've received plenty of help from this website. CLUBLEXUS RULES!!!!

God Bless.
Old 10-24-02, 02:19 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Rro
Kyle,
According to the label, the product is intended for newer cars and safe on gelcoats. As with any products, care should be taken. This is not an endorsement for the product. I can only say what has worked for me. It works! Like many on this site, I thought the hazing and yellowing was inside the headlight (based on comments of dismantling the headlights) but, before ontaking a task of heating and prying presealed headlights, one should try simpler methods. Scratch Remover is $2 to $3 dollars depending on where you buy it. It's designed to remove scratches not create scratches. I also use it on my boat (gelcoat and lights) and it works wonders. Keeping in mind marine environments are much harsher than land environments.

Thanks, I might give that a shot at some point, I tried the Meguiar's ScratchX scratch remover I had lying around, but I think my best option would be to get a clear plastic polish, or even a plastic detailer may help. I'm just putting that off since I've had a hard time finding polish locally and don't really like ordering online if I don't have to.
Old 10-27-02, 11:15 PM
92Es300 5sPd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WoW

I havnt been too club lexus in about a month, I know shame on me, but anywayz I am surprised this post is still oigng strong. I still use the same mehtod and ive been doing it for about a month still works for me 1.wax 2.Let dry for a long while 3.buff off and that should lerave ya wiht a good film free ohter htna thta everyone else has given great advice.