Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

XENON's ES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 10:17 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the compliments and suggestions

im still confused though, egainer is totally right about how the air has to be filtered first, but if the filter is attached to the top of the lid, that means the air automatically has to cross the filter to reach the engine.......? am i making any sense
Old 09-24-02, 07:07 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the air only crosses through one filter. that one filter in your air box is the only thing keeping your engine from getting crappy pollen, dust, etc. air. if that filter is moved too much, like if there's any smal openings that the string causes, there's still bad air goin into your engine. which in turn shortens your engine life.

can't think of a good diagram.

mm think of it this way. it's like water.

if the water filter has some messed up thing goin on, then the water is still all disgusting/unfiltered.
but if the filter is hooked up correctly, then it'll filter the water into good yummy water.

actually that diagram wasn't very good, but i hope i got somethin out there.
Old 09-24-02, 08:58 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got a post for you, this should fix it all. just let me finish my drawing and finish eating and ill put it up
Old 09-24-02, 10:20 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Ok, here we go. I just threw together this little diagram of how your airbox is working. I know it is not as open as this, but it is similar to my drawing, I think. You see how the air now comes into the engine from the engine bay? That is what your car is doing. You no longer are taking air from the underneath of the car. If you are just doing this, you might as well get an aftermarket filter. As is, you are trying to use the top of the airbox as a holder for your filter.... You see what I'm saying? Just take the airbox out and get a new filter, or close the airbox back and lose the sound. But the way you have it now, you run the risk of bad air getting into your engine....

Let me know if this helps
Attached Thumbnails XENON's ES!!!!-airbox-design.jpg  
Old 09-24-02, 10:24 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by cperez100
looks good
Yeah the car looks good XenonES3.
Old 09-24-02, 11:18 PM
zexen
Advanced

niiice egainer. i couldn't have put it any better than that.

nice sketch. i like the handdrawing kind of style to it. was that scanned or done with a mouse?
if that was a mouse... i'm impressed. i couldn't do drawings like that with a mouse.
Old 09-24-02, 11:27 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

I drew it with a mouse, just something i threw together quick
Old 09-25-02, 01:23 AM
zexen
Advanced

it's not too bad for a quick job. my mouse-drawing coordination isn't all that good. oh well. no wonder i suck at photoshop, etc. well designing software ain't really my thing, so i'll stick with my cars.
Old 09-25-02, 01:42 AM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car is lookin good....real good.

i got a '96 and im tryin to do what you did with your lights.

i see the tutorial on clearing front corners....im just scared.

how did you red out your tail lights?

and how does that pulsar thing work?

and where did you get the xenon headlights?
Old 09-26-02, 06:22 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

egainer/zeta-

awesome guys, thanks a lot for the help!!!!! this is phenomenal!!!!

I went back to the stock setup. So if I go with say a K&N filter or any generic filter, will i get the same sound as with the open intake box?

fog80-

red tails

to red-out the rear tails i got some tail lamp repair tape from Pep Boys. The best part is the tape fits perfectly within the height of the orange horizontal bar. THEREFORE...no extra cutting!! I cut out a strip a few inches longer then the width of the orange, then cut it into 4 pieces. Started from the reverse light and worked my way out. Have patience, it's tough to line the tape up perfectly, it may take a couple tries but the end result is great. Just make sure you don't have any bubbles in the tape.

The red matches the rest of the tail perfectly, many people at stoplights take a "second-look" at the car when they notice the tails are diff. from normal ES3's ----I may also red-out the reverse lights to give an "all-red" appearance. Once I get bored of that, I may smoke them.

CLEAR CORNER STICKER

I think it's wise that you are taking caution towards clearing your lights. It's better not to go that way then go that way and screw them up.

Clearing with a sticker is really fast and really easy. From a distance the light looks just like the clear corners the rest of these guys have. From upclose, it gives the car a distinguishing look...people will know it's not stock. Just like the tails, the tape is the same height as the orange. Cut the tape into 2 or 3 pieces to make it easier to apply.

xenons
I got the bulbs from friends. My friends change up bulbs frequently One of mah friends just traded his 00 intrepid for an 00 maxima se 5-speed that's modded-out. He gave me about 10 different sets of bulbs from his intrepid.

I don't recommend these Xenons for better visibility. For that, try PIAA, Sylvania Sylverstars or Cool Blues. For looks, try Hiper Industries or Matrix (of course there are other good ones, but i know these do well from experience).

neon pulsar
Pulses to beat (bass) of music. Lights up whole interior-Awesome, chicks dig it. Cheap and very fun mod...$20 at target.

Sorry for such a long post, if you try any of these, good luck
Old 09-26-02, 09:31 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the cone filter will give you that sound you want.
Old 09-26-02, 11:26 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by EGainer
Yeah, the cone filter will give you that sound you want.
are they universal fit? how do they affect fuel economy and performance? didn't kyle harty have some problems with it?
Old 09-27-02, 12:01 AM
zexen
Advanced

it's just a 3" cone filter. it fits in place of the stock airbox. there was a picture from an earlier thread showing a picture of a setup with a cone filter. from the older threads, i'd suggest just keeping the stock airbox. some info given on CL has shown decreased power, thus also pushing me away from buying one. i'd rather keep my performance than take the ol' ricer though of "my car is loud. i can beat you because my car can produce 90 dB of pure rice!!"

sorry. i just had to put that in...
Old 09-28-02, 01:09 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

thanks again for the help bros...

I guess I'm gonna keep the airbox stock right now. Now it's time to concentrate on the suspension and rims
Old 09-28-02, 01:19 PM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by XenonES3
egainer/zeta-

awesome guys, thanks a lot for the help!!!!! this is phenomenal!!!!

I went back to the stock setup. So if I go with say a K&N filter or any generic filter, will i get the same sound as with the open intake box?

fog80-

red tails

to red-out the rear tails i got some tail lamp repair tape from Pep Boys. The best part is the tape fits perfectly within the height of the orange horizontal bar. THEREFORE...no extra cutting!! I cut out a strip a few inches longer then the width of the orange, then cut it into 4 pieces. Started from the reverse light and worked my way out. Have patience, it's tough to line the tape up perfectly, it may take a couple tries but the end result is great. Just make sure you don't have any bubbles in the tape.

The red matches the rest of the tail perfectly, many people at stoplights take a "second-look" at the car when they notice the tails are diff. from normal ES3's ----I may also red-out the reverse lights to give an "all-red" appearance. Once I get bored of that, I may smoke them.

CLEAR CORNER STICKER

I think it's wise that you are taking caution towards clearing your lights. It's better not to go that way then go that way and screw them up.

Clearing with a sticker is really fast and really easy. From a distance the light looks just like the clear corners the rest of these guys have. From upclose, it gives the car a distinguishing look...people will know it's not stock. Just like the tails, the tape is the same height as the orange. Cut the tape into 2 or 3 pieces to make it easier to apply.

xenons
I got the bulbs from friends. My friends change up bulbs frequently One of mah friends just traded his 00 intrepid for an 00 maxima se 5-speed that's modded-out. He gave me about 10 different sets of bulbs from his intrepid.

I don't recommend these Xenons for better visibility. For that, try PIAA, Sylvania Sylverstars or Cool Blues. For looks, try Hiper Industries or Matrix (of course there are other good ones, but i know these do well from experience).

neon pulsar
Pulses to beat (bass) of music. Lights up whole interior-Awesome, chicks dig it. Cheap and very fun mod...$20 at target.

Sorry for such a long post, if you try any of these, good luck
thanks alot. im about to get on this stuff.

Quick Reply: XENON's ES!!!!