Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Does HID lower insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 08:00 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does HID lower insurance?

A friend told me he's getting a Philips HID kit for his RSX type-S.

I laughed and said he could spend that cash on an exhaust and intake instead.

He claims in the long run it will pay for itself because insurance companies lower rates for HID because it's considered a safety feature.

Is this true or does he have no damn clue what he's talking about?
Old 10-01-02, 08:53 PM
jobindj
Driver

HMMMMMM.......that would be cool if they did!
Old 10-01-02, 09:02 PM
kreativ
Advanced

If he talked to his insurance company, that's one thing. But it sounds like he made it up to me.
No insurance company I know gives a discount for having HID lights. Let alone aftermarket HID kits, which are technically illegal in California (don't know about other states).
Old 10-01-02, 09:09 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pshh... no way... HID's don't give you a discount. unless his insurance company is just special like that... then i'd have to find out what insurance company that is, and get me a new set of headlights. i'm pretty sure they don't... because there's actually more complaining of HID's than praising of HID's, so i don't know what insurance company would give lower rates to HID owners... but i'd like to know.
Old 10-01-02, 09:21 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Nope I agree, no way. ESPECIALLY for an aftermarket kit...
Old 10-02-02, 06:24 AM
nismo270R
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonder if i can get a discount for leaving my high beams on 24/7
Old 10-02-02, 02:28 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You might get a discount for factory HID's, but most aftermarket kits are technically illegal so I doubt you'd get a discount for them.

I wouldn't laugh at anyone for putting real HID's on their car, everyone who's done it has said it's a very good investment. Personally, I'd rather have HID's than intake and exhaust.
Old 10-04-02, 01:46 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kyle Harty

I wouldn't laugh at anyone for putting real HID's on their car, everyone who's done it has said it's a very good investment. Personally, I'd rather have HID's than intake and exhaust.
Well, I guess it is all personal preference...on a luxury car or for someone who does a lotta night driving I understand.

sorry-i didn't explain the situation-
But, for a 16 year old kid with a budget who night drives once or twice a week (at parties on the weekends), but races the car the rest of the time....which seems more practical?...spend the cash on something to make your car quicker and more appealing or $400 headlights. As it is, the headlights on an RSX are bright as HELL anyway (much, much brighter than my 95 ES).

-Found out HID doesn't lower insurance...but the insurance agent said "some" companies may give discounts.....?

Last edited by XenonES3; 10-04-02 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-04-02, 02:17 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I guess I do alot of night driving so the HID's would be more of an asset for me than someone who doesn't.
Old 10-04-02, 02:43 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I gotta agree, the first time I drove my father's LS400 at night, I decided I had to have HID's on my next car. As a matter of fact, it was my #1 neccisary feature in my car selection process.
Old 10-04-02, 03:15 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by SW03ES
I gotta agree, the first time I drove my father's LS400 at night, I decided I had to have HID's on my next car. As a matter of fact, it was my #1 neccisary feature in my car selection process.
I agree, too. I have a relative with a 2001 IS300, that I ride in/drive on occasion at night. The HIDs make an incredible difference in visibility on unlit back roads.

Unfortunately, most "ricers" seem to think they're just a cosmetic feature, and buy these ridiculous blue bulbs that decrease visibility compared to stock halogens. Less lumens, and a difficulty seeing objects in the yellow spectrum (because the yellow light all got filtered out).
Then I see a post on another thread about adjusting headlights with blue bulbs up to compensate for the decreased light. No! That's what causes the anti-HID backlash that the NHTSA and DOT have formed a task force investigating, not actual, properly aimed factory auto-leveling 4100K HID, but ricers with fake or even real HID (6000K or 8000K kits), that aim lights high, etc.
Old 10-05-02, 12:17 AM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey squarehat, check your resources. that was my post. we were talking about xenon 9005 and 9006's. we were finding good replacements. and I was talking about raising my headlights. i opened up a new thread, but also posted in that same thread. if you SAW how low my headlights were aimed, then you wouldn't be saying any of this. just fyi, make sure of what you're talking about... then talk...
Old 10-05-02, 02:15 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

No need to get hot under the collar, Zeta. If your headlamps are indeed below level, go ahead and center them, whether they're yellow, white, blue, red, green, whatever. Underaimed headlamps don't make things safer for anybody. There's a bubble level to help you, and the watching the cutoff when you're parked in front of a white wall or garage door will help you further.

I just don't want people raising them blatantly above center (like to high-beam heights) to compensate for poor light output. And the think I mentioned about the NHSTA/DOT study, was just for enlightenment, not to point any fingers at you. Some guy on the GS forum mentions it every time someone mentions getting a 8000K HID kit (which is blatantly blue, more blue than any filtered halogens I've seen.) Imagine a blue light, 2X as bright as your high beams, misaimed. That's a bit of a distraction. Even though the filtering cuts the HID light to 2000 lumens (vs 3200 for 4100K HID), it's still brighter than a halogen high beam.

I'm not attacking coated halogens, either; I personally run Sylvania SilverStars (street legal), they have a very faint blue coating on the bulb, but the light has no blue in it all, it's white with a small amount of leftover yellow. Sylvania claims the color temp is 4000K, I personally think its around 3850, but I'm satisfied. People around here seem to like Nokya and Eurolite. I believe EGainer has the Eurolite, they look very nice, I would have considered them when I bought my lights had I been a CL member at the time.

Wow, it took me 175 posts to **** somebody off. A lot of people manage to do it on their first
Old 10-05-02, 05:06 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Zeta
hey squarehat, check your resources. that was my post. we were talking about xenon 9005 and 9006's. we were finding good replacements. and I was talking about raising my headlights. i opened up a new thread, but also posted in that same thread. if you SAW how low my headlights were aimed, then you wouldn't be saying any of this. just fyi, make sure of what you're talking about... then talk...
Not to stir things up, but I think that was actually Xenon's post he was talking about.
Old 10-05-02, 05:18 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

no i think he was talking about the part where squarehat said that he shouldnt raise the aim on his headlights... but as long as we are all cool fellas... (and ladies)

Quick Reply: Does HID lower insurance?