Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-02, 03:41 PM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight help

i know weve been through how to clear the headlights out and every thing but no one ever explained how to take the headlights out of the car.

i got those lil clips out by pushing the center part in but i dont know what else to unscrew to get the whole assembly out and i dont know how to put the clip back in either....it wont lock.

help me please its a nice day and i wanted to clean the headlights out before dark.
Old 10-03-02, 05:52 PM
themasta3
Rookie

you've done all the easy stuff so far man. now comes the "harder" part. not really that hard to do, just a pain in the ***

you gotta set your oven to about 175-225 degrees and place the headlight in there for about 5 minutes at a time. then you gotta get a flathead screwdriver and pry it open. don't rush it though, or you might crack something (even though it's very hard to do w/ the headlight). you'll have to put the headlight in the over for about 4-5 heating sessions, prying it open more and more each time until it finally comes fully apart.

this mod isn't exactly what id call "standard" even though its fairly easy. toyota never really intended to have its customers prying open the headlight housings on their cars. but it looks cool once you're done. it's definetely worth the work if you want your ES to stand out from other stock ES's.

Peace!

Curtis
Old 10-03-02, 05:57 PM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by themasta3
you've done all the easy stuff so far man. now comes the "harder" part. not really that hard to do, just a pain in the ***

you gotta set your oven to about 175-225 degrees and place the headlight in there for about 5 minutes at a time. then you gotta get a flathead screwdriver and pry it open. don't rush it though, or you might crack something (even though it's very hard to do w/ the headlight). you'll have to put the headlight in the over for about 4-5 heating sessions, prying it open more and more each time until it finally comes fully apart.

this mod isn't exactly what id call "standard" even though its fairly easy. toyota never really intended to have its customers prying open the headlight housings on their cars. but it looks cool once you're done. it's definetely worth the work if you want your ES to stand out from other stock ES's.

Peace!

Curtis
thanks for your help but i know this part from that one boys website.

i really need help on how to get the headlight off the car.
Old 10-03-02, 06:45 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Man,

If you can't even find the (3) screws to take it off the car, then you shouldn't try this mod.
Old 10-03-02, 08:47 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey darius, I know this is way off-topic, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I noticed in your sig that your fuel cover seems to be on the passenger side of your '94 ES. I find it kinda odd since all ES's have the fuel cover on the driver side.
Old 10-03-02, 08:48 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

whoa... nice eye, lexusk8. i just saw that too. hey darius, that wouldn't happen to be an import would it? or did you get in a accident and the body shop people were stupid and put the car together backwards...
Old 10-03-02, 11:48 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing the thread in which his sig was created.

GSTrance made two banners, using Photoshop to mirror-image the car. I remember seeing both versions when he was putting the sig together. The banner was actually made from a photo of the parked car, and a little Photoshop magic made the wheels look like they were in motion.

GSTrance and DariusMan, feel free to correct me. I just didn't want to leave people in suspense thinking it was some RHD Windom
Old 10-04-02, 12:02 AM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by dariusman19
Man,

If you can't even find the (3) screws to take it off the car, then you shouldn't try this mod.
im sayin i didnt want to take off screws i didnt have to.

and i dont know how to lock the lil clips back in place.

sorry everyone isnt a lexus expert like you.
Old 10-04-02, 01:04 AM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by squarehat
I remember seeing the thread in which his sig was created.

GSTrance made two banners, using Photoshop to mirror-image the car. I remember seeing both versions when he was putting the sig together. The banner was actually made from a photo of the parked car, and a little Photoshop magic made the wheels look like they were in motion.

GSTrance and DariusMan, feel free to correct me. I just didn't want to leave people in suspense thinking it was some RHD Windom
Hey that's funny

I didn't notice that until you guys said something, but yes "Squarehat" that has to be the reason why, because last time I checked it was on the drivers side ....I think I'll keep it like that!

sorry everyone isnt a lexus expert like you
Come on, I'm not trying to insult you or make myself seem like i'm sort of an expert. Because I had to read the directions just like you! But like the directions say if you can't even get the lights out then you shouldn't try this.

IT'S JUST 3 SCREWS...LIKE NIKE SAYS "JUST DO IT"

Last edited by dariusman19; 10-04-02 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-04-02, 01:11 AM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Hate to take over this post, but since it came up i'll provide proof

and finally the other sig he made for me!

Old 10-04-02, 05:41 PM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by dariusman19

Come on, I'm not trying to insult you or make myself seem like i'm sort of an expert. Because I had to read the directions just like you! But like the directions say if you can't even get the lights out then you shouldn't try this.

IT'S JUST 3 SCREWS...LIKE NIKE SAYS "JUST DO IT"
thats what im sayin...where did you read the directions?
Old 10-04-02, 07:10 PM
dariusman19
Driver School Candidate

Oh I did a search on "clearing corners" and some guy I guess made up a website and that's where i got my info from
Old 10-05-02, 02:35 PM
fog80
Driver

real funny you lil b*tch.
Old 10-05-02, 03:57 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All you have to do to take the headlights out is to disconnect the bulbs by unscrewing them a 1/4 turn, and they pull out. Some ES's have a splash guard going across the headlights that you can get off by un-popping the plastic rivets that hold it in. After that's done, unscrew the 3 bolts or however many hold it in on yours, pull the headlight out, disconnect the turn signal cable, then unscrew the circular turn signal housing.

If you couldn't figure that out yourself, you really shouldn't do the rest of the mod. I hate sounding like a **** like that, but I don't want people messing up their 500 dollar headlights because they read my clearing corners website.
Old 10-05-02, 05:02 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i reposted the old thread i started a while ago so that you could see how to do it... check the headlight tutorial thread. i know that some people said if you can't get the headlight out, then you shouldn't do the clear corner mod, but remember, i posted how to get the headlight out a long time ago. so other people have used this and got the headlight out wtih some help. there's no problem in that, it's not difficult. and this is what CL is for

oh yeah, it's not just 3 screws. you forgot the clip, unless you have already broken that without knowing it was there.... in that case, then all you have is 3 screws...

sean, you forgot the clip too

Last edited by EGainer; 10-05-02 at 05:06 PM.

Quick Reply: headlight help