Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

L.E.D.'s for tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 09:54 AM
adale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED tail lights

Hey folks, just my two cents worth and long. Most conversion LED bulbs for any incan. are not very bright. With out getting into some real tech. stuff, the manuf. are using the cheapest LEDs they can find. Not to mention they use numerous LED's to try to make up for the reduced light output of the device. Most LED's have a very directional light not omnidirectional as most incans do. The super bright LEDs are out there they just cost about 4 times more than the normal LEDs and are rather touchy about voltage and current. I have played around with making my own with the super brights. Just haven't had time to really do any research. Digi-Key is a great source for the raw LEDs. If you go with the "white" colored LED get ready to pay a lot more than even the super bright units and they have poor reliablity as compaired to regular LEDs.

As for the $48 tail lights, there is only about $5 of LED's on them and then the PCD. They must be hand assembling them and that is were the $$$ is or they are making a helluva profit!
Old 10-24-02, 10:38 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Can someone help "Blanco" post some pics?
He's got L.E.D.s on his car so it would be cool to see some photos of them
Old 10-24-02, 11:00 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gs4to4
Can someone help "Blanco" post some pics?
He's got L.E.D.s on his car so it would be cool to see some photos of them
Its the same as posting a message, however if you look below the text box, there is a "Attach file" option. You can type in a message in the text box and attach a picture as well. To select which file you want to post, click on Browse and select the picture from your hard drive, zip drive, or whatever media device you have. When you say ok and submit reply, the file will be uploaded and your message/picture will be posted.

NOTE: There is a limit to the size of the file you attach. That limit is 102400. If you have a picture that is slightly larger then you need to edit the resolution and save it to shrink it a little.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-02, 02:35 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I do have LEDs on my car, but only a few yet. I've got clear front side markers with amber leds, and my rear plate lights have the white leds in place of the incandescents. I'll try and post pics, if I don't post it right let me know.

Here's what I've got:
Attached Thumbnails L.E.D.'s for tail lights?-plateleds.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 02:50 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Clearsides

Here's the LEDs when they're off
Attached Thumbnails L.E.D.'s for tail lights?-clearside.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 02:54 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default LEDS

And here's what they look like on at night. The camera does the LEDs NO justice. This shot if "off angle".
Attached Thumbnails L.E.D.'s for tail lights?-offangleled.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 02:57 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default LEDS

This is the in your face "on angle" shot.
Attached Thumbnails L.E.D.'s for tail lights?-onangleled.jpg  
Old 10-24-02, 03:02 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I also found this interesting. To increase the angle of illumination they mount some LEDs perpendicular to the housing. See diagram.

Of course the angle all depends on the bulb housing.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-02, 08:21 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blanco, where'd you get your sidemarker LEDs? How much?
Old 12-07-02, 08:50 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: L.E.D.'s for tail lights?

Give these guys a call. http://www.lumex.com They also do custom work to find "unique solutions".

Percy

Originally posted by gs4to4
A few months back, some idiot slammed into a rental car that I was driving, (said he didn't notice the brake lights cause of sun glare...) Car got hit so hard that the rear doors didn't even open.

Anyways, my GS never had any paint work on it, and to prevent any accidents, I figure it would be a good idea to upgrade to L.E.D.s for the tail lights. Anyone have more info on this?
Thanks
Old 12-08-02, 04:44 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Talking LED 194s

Ordered mine from Jamstrait.com, but I noticed recently that Auto Zone is now stocking them!! The price is the same as online, but here in Texas the sales tax is less than the shipping I paid.

BTW, I tried a pair of 3157s from the same place....they were only $15 for the pair. Went home and tried their "Honda mod" to make their 3157 bulb fit in my 7443 socket....... Well I don't recommend it. As a matter of fact it won't work. The LED array meant to replace the bulb won't fit through the hole in the lamp housing. Too wide. Even if it did though the bulb doesn't stay seated firmly enough in the socket to make it worth while. I was REAL curious about these: http://netdisty.net/ds/aut3157/
, but I'd have to do the "Honda mod" to get them to fit. Well it's the same story over again. bulb array too wide to fit in hole, plus doesn't stay in socket. I'm just hoping the people from the link about make an actual 7443 led bulb that'll work. They make the best led bulb IMHO, but the charge you for it too!! So it looks like no led tail lights for the forseable future.

Sorry,
Blanco

Last edited by Blanco; 12-08-02 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-19-02, 03:25 AM
jasper
Rookie

Here is a Noob Question..

What are the exact Bulb #'s of the bulbs that have to be replaced in the rear taillight assembly? I would like to do more research on the LED replacement bulbs myself and this would be a great start. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 12-19-02, 09:40 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Wink Here ya go

Jasper,
All the bulbs in the rear consist of either a 7443(Dual filament) or 7440(single filament). Let me know what you find out. I'm also trying to find a LED solution for my GS's "caboose".
Old 03-01-05, 07:24 PM
ericgrau
Driver School Candidate

Default A Cheaper Way to Go

I made some rough calculations and found that a standard Cold Cathode Flourescent Tube would put out enough light for a brakelight. You can get one, inverter, plugs and peel off adhesive mounting included, for $5 at www.bestbyte.net. The inverter is about 3"x1" and it runs on 12VDC (the same voltate a car uses). It is capable of running 2 tubes (2nd tube $3) but I'd recommend getting a seperate kit for each tail light to simplify wiring.

The advantages? Besides the cost each tube runs on only 2.4W (0.2A). I've estimated about an 80 lumen output per tube and the red tubes allow even more efficiency since they don't lose lumens in the cover like other bulbs do (LED's gain the same advantage). They also last much longer than incandescents, but not nearly as long as LED's. And, unlike older flourescents, they turn on instantly.

Now for the downsides. First, the tube is 12" long. You could get a circular tube (3" diameter) attatched to a computer fan for $5.75, inverter and everything else included. You would need to remove the fan. Second, the plugs obviously do not fit in a bulb socket; you need to wire it yourself. www.allelectronics.com also has 4" tubes for $6.78. Inverters go for $3 (bare pins) - $8 (plug). Be careful not to touch the inverter or tube leads while the device is powered, or you may get a painful shock. bestbyte.net flourescents are well covered, however, and don't pose much of a problem.

I'm thinking of trying this myself and I may post the results, but I'd like to hear about it if someone else does it first. I have a cheapo Mazda. If I'm in the wrong forum... well, may the moderator delete my post and ban me.
Old 03-09-05, 12:00 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I'd like to see your results. I'm still using stock setup, looking for alternatives. No luck so far.

Quick Reply: L.E.D.'s for tail lights?