Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

L.E.D.'s for tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 05:29 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L.E.D.'s for tail lights?

A few months back, some idiot slammed into a rental car that I was driving, (said he didn't notice the brake lights cause of sun glare...) Car got hit so hard that the rear doors didn't even open.

Anyways, my GS never had any paint work on it, and to prevent any accidents, I figure it would be a good idea to upgrade to L.E.D.s for the tail lights. Anyone have more info on this?
Thanks
Old 10-17-02, 05:59 PM
snakeyez
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb beware

beware... some LED lights are not as bright as the incandescent bulbs. Make sure you know the one you get is brighter.

Some higher wattage incandescent bulbs, such as those made by Raybrig can be better replacements.
Old 10-17-02, 06:09 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info Snakeyez,

I know some L.E.D.s aren't as bright, but I heard that some are brighter. I hope someone will have some experience on which ones to get. I heard they also give the tailights a "modern, high tech look" when you press on the brakes, similar to the new Cadillac Deville and the Lincoln Mark 8.
Also, did that quick fix work for you on the steering wheel?

Last edited by gs4to4; 10-17-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 06:17 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lincoln Mark 8 is actually neon...
Old 10-17-02, 07:07 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gs4to4
....similar to the new Cadillac Deville...
I've contemplated this exact mod before, but I'm not sure how to get it done.

Maybe a LED manufacturer; contact them via the web, and then perhaps send them your taillights and let them do a custom job. I think it'd be tiiiight, but more than likely on the expensive side.
Old 10-17-02, 07:09 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

If you want probably the brightest LED setup out there, it will cost you mad$$$ I dunno what type of bulbs your car uses for the stoplights but at this site, you might be able to have them custom made... i would go for the last one on the list, if you are keeping your OEM red lenses but they only come on 1156<single fil>

http://netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/

Last edited by Skulinex; 10-17-02 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 07:25 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default LEDs

Ledtronics.com

Red ones are 100 lumens $48

clear ones are 125 lumens $90

I have red ones in my 01 C4 911 but with the extra outsides lens also as stop lights.

On my Lexii I disable the inner rear parking lights so only the stop lights go on when braking. Makes a much more pronounced indication of braking action.
Old 10-17-02, 08:18 PM
snakeyez
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb you may also find alot of lighting here:

have you checked out this website:

http://www.autodynamic.com

online ordering is very easy to do here! i bought some red spinning POLARG LED dual filament bulbs from this website awhile back for my '91 CRX SiR, they're cool..but not bright enough....
Old 10-18-02, 02:13 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies guys.
At $50 per bulb, it would cost at least $300, maybe more, to switch all of the brake lights. Is there another option? I really think this could be an awesome mod.
Old 10-18-02, 04:15 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

your housing weren't designed for LED's. i saw a pic in the SC forum with LED in the break lights and they turn out to be just big round circles. it look soo nasty. and they cost soo much. i think you should stick to regular bulb. or get some raybrigs or polargs
Old 10-18-02, 10:26 AM
snakeyez
Driver School Candidate

Default jmai has the right picture

LED lights only emit light within a certain range. they're good if you view them head on, but some are hard to view from different angles. I guess it really depends on quality.

But remember, you can't go wrong with a higher wattage bulb. Higher wattage bulbs, such as those made by Raybrig and PolarG are excellent, especially the ones without and coatings. Bulbs with coatings aren't as bright as they should be because there is a layer of film that blocks out certain colors of the spectrum. (remmeber white light contains ALL colors)
Old 10-18-02, 12:07 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default $48

You get a cluster of LEDs to make up the bulb instead of just LEDs pointing outward. Omnidirectional beam pattern to take full advantage of the reflective housing.
Old 10-18-02, 11:08 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Cool LEDS

I too looked into this possibility. That netdisty.net site is the same place I checked out. I even asked them if they were planning on doing any 7443/7440 bulbs in the future......I was told to check back in a few months. These lights seem very expensive, but after looking at the design, as well as the number of leds per bulb I was convinced that they're quality products.

I've also discovered some leds at www.jamstrait.com
They seem to have the best selection, but the quality doesn't seem the same as the first site. But they are much cheaper than the first place. I also noticed you don't get the same number of leds per bulb. If you notice at the first site they have some leds perpendicular to the housing to provide a wider angle and more light. At the jamstrait site they mention modding the 3157 bulb types to fit in a 7443/40 app.....I MIGHT be willing to try it on one of their bulbs, but not one of the $50 bulbs. Cause if it didn't work it'd be a costly mistake. Still sittin' on the fence about that one.

I did replace my front side markers with leds though. I got the 4led amber replacement. I like the look of clear sides with clear bulbs during the day and having the "amber" light at night. If anyone is interested I could post some pics.

What can I say, I'm an led fanatic.

Blanco
Old 10-19-02, 02:17 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Blanco, please post some pics when you get a chance
thanks
Old 10-20-02, 08:53 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver