Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 02:43 AM
mor-power
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HID install help

I've just purchased 2 sets of HIDs for my '02 RX300 to replace the low-beam and fog light. Both kits works GREAT, if I were to connect them to the low-beam. However, when connect one to the fog light, it does not work at all.

Is the signal from the fog light connector too weak to light up the HID bulbs? Do I need some sort of signal magnifier device? These kits were purchased from autolamps-online, so they do come with relays that connect directly to the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 10-23-02, 02:58 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hrm.. i'm not quite following you buddy...

They shoudl all work fine. Hleo had both installed in his lows and fogs and they work great. I dont have all the money for lows and Fogs and i'd rather have Yellow Ion Foggies. Are you sure you connected it correctly?
Old 10-23-02, 03:14 AM
salimshah

Received 1,062 Likes on 957 Posts

Fog lights work with full battery voltage (unlike the DRLs ... High Beams with reduced voltage).

Also check that you do not have high beam "on" as in that position, the fog lamps are turned off.

Salim
Old 10-23-02, 03:14 AM
mor-power
Rookie

spinteews,

I did connect it properly. The low beam works great. I even test both of the kits by connecting them to the low-beam. They both work. But I reversed it and have them connect to the fog light, both kits didn't work.

I'm puzzled...
Old 10-23-02, 03:17 AM
mor-power
Rookie

salimshah,

I have checked that the high beam was "off" and the fog light is in the "on" position.

MP
Old 10-23-02, 03:18 AM
mor-power
Rookie

Also, I just wanna add that if I connect the regular bulb back on, it works just fine...
Old 10-23-02, 10:49 AM
MrX
Rookie

I just installed mine for the low-beam, using the Hella Kit, not sure what you are using but here is the problem that I ran into.

I thought the after market Red is Positive and Black as Negative. However, when I tried this it did not work, took me awhile but when I finally connect the Red to Negative and Black to positive, everything works fine.

MrX
Old 10-23-02, 12:51 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by MrX
I just installed mine for the low-beam, using the Hella Kit, not sure what you are using but here is the problem that I ran into.

I thought the after market Red is Positive and Black as Negative. However, when I tried this it did not work, took me awhile but when I finally connect the Red to Negative and Black to positive, everything works fine.

MrX
Color coding can be nasty. The standard (if any) is that :

For low voltage: Red is "+", and Black is "-".
For High voltage: Black is "live" (110-220), white is "neutral", red is "secondary swtiched live".

Moral (if any): Look at the kits instruction and hope they are correct.

Salim
Old 10-23-02, 12:58 PM
salimshah

Originally posted by mor-power
Also, I just wanna add that if I connect the regular bulb back on, it works just fine...
Regular bulbs are simple fillament and the "+" and "-" do not matter as long as they are not shorted via chasis. HIDs have a ballast to go through where "+" and "-" may matter. Check MrX's post.

Note: Swapping the "+" and "-" may cause permanent damage, so check the instructions or give the manufacturer a call.

Salim
Old 10-24-02, 05:27 AM
mor-power
Rookie

Alright... I have tried switching wires (black --> + and red --> - and vice versa), re-running all the wires all over again but no luck. However, I took it out of the RX300 fog light and place it in the low-beam of my SC300 and it works fine. what is going on?????

so why does it work when connecting it to the low-beam but would NOT work when connect to the fog light?

Is there anything special about the foglight wiring that I should know about?

NOTE: this is the 5th HID kit I've installed, so I do not think I screwed up on the wiring....
Old 10-24-02, 03:30 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

lol damn that sucks... i have no idea then... espically if u have installed 5 kits before, you should be fine lol

so your saying you have 2 kits. one installed in lows one in fogs... when u test it, lows work fogs dont. U swap and same lows work fogs dont... hrm... very puzzling... try fogs only and not lows...??

sorry man
Old 10-24-02, 03:55 PM
mor-power
Rookie

Thanks, Spinteews.

I have tried just the fog only as well... it would not work... damn... I guess I have to put the cheesey 60W PIAA Extreme white back on. What a waste of an HID kit!
Old 10-24-02, 05:01 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Default Upgrade your foglights Fuse

Maybe your foglights fuse is blown out. You need to upgrade the fuse. If currently your foglight fuse is 10Amp, try going for 15Amp, and see if it works, if not, upgrade again to 10Amp.

Hope this helps...

-Hendry
Old 10-24-02, 05:58 PM
wcp
Driver School Candidate

Default Try one side only

I would replace one side of the fog with the HID and leave the other side with the OEM bulb. Then I'd turn on the switch and see if the OEM side is on. If it is on then your fuse is fine. The problem is caused by something else.

One thing to consider is the OEM fog I believe is only 35W. If that is true then the OEM wire is probably too thin and may have a bigger voltage drop when it is plugged into your HID.

Just a suggestion
Old 10-24-02, 06:31 PM
mor-power
Rookie

thanks for the suggestions.

I have not switch the fuse but I know for sure that it is not blown, since I have plugged the stock bulb back in and it works fine. I will try switch to a different fuse tonight.

thanks, again

Quick Reply: HID install help