Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Philips 6000K Ultinons

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 08:34 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metal halide has not yet been successfully implimented in automotive HID. Even the GE spec sheet has "preliminary" stamped across it in giant red lettering. The problem with metal halide bulbs is that ions from the molten halide salts can leach into hot quartz in the presence of a DC electric field. This can cause strains in the quartz arc tube. At the ends of the arc tube, a phenominon known as 'electrolysis' may occur releasing chemically reactive halide salt components that can damage the arc tube or the electrodes. The arc tube will most likely crack prematurely as a result. There was a DC halide bulb developed to work on fixed-current DC systems, which an automobile is not. Same deal with the mercury vapor bulbs and high-pressure sodium bulbs for that matter. Don't get me wrong, metal salts and gases are still a key ingredient in xenon bulbs, but only in trace amounts. Xenon is still by far the main ingredient in all automotive HID bulbs.

If GE somehow found a way to counteract the effects electrolysis, then they might have a sucessful product; However, I still don't see it posing any threat to xenon gas bulbs since it is already a stable, well-established technology. Metal halide is bigger, more power hungry, less reliable in DC, and more expensive. It belongs in AC circuits, and that's pretty much where they will remain.
Old 11-12-02, 09:17 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Point well taken. I knew that automotive HID used a different salt and fill gas mixture compared to a commercial metal halide fixture, due to warm-up, miniaturization, current issues etc.
I had, perhaps mistakingly, thought that ballasts on automotive HID setups converted DC to AC.
Old 11-18-02, 06:51 PM
xclusivx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the package i received last November from Jian @suvlights.com....someone please tell me this is the legit packaging of the Original Philips Ultinons....if not..i'm gonna be pissed...
Old 11-20-02, 05:38 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

I am not by any way knocking any website but over $500 for philips 6000 Ultra's is WAY to much. Again they work or not.

It is like when I got my S&W 44 mag last week. I looked online and the prices went from $580 to $880! I got it localy for $570 that day! Plus S&W is 20 minutes from my house.

So to close, just make sure what you are buying and go for the least expensive.

Last edited by mburnickas; 11-20-02 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 11:20 PM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by xclusivx
this is the package i received last November from Jian @suvlights.com....someone please tell me this is the legit packaging of the Original Philips Ultinons....if not..i'm gonna be pissed...

ummm sorry but they look fake as hell
Old 11-23-02, 08:00 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

SO SUVlights.com is not a good place to buy the bulbs from?
Old 11-24-02, 01:20 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those bulbs have a clear envelope (glass). Most of the blatantly fake Ultinons have a blue coating like the hyperwhite halogens. Can't tell by the packaging, perhaps the bulbs are stamped with some markings.
Old 11-25-02, 08:46 PM
xclusivx
Rookie

hmms...can someone who bought Philips Ultinon bulbs post the picture of the packaging they received??..i'd like to see and compare....thanks..
Old 11-25-02, 10:42 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Got my set (1) month ago. Love them to death. Like to get HID fogs soon.......

http://home.attbi.com/~mburnickas//Philips_Ultinons.jpg

Last edited by mburnickas; 11-25-02 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 03:29 AM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so this tells us what? that SUVlights.com is ripping us off? or are we all wrong on this... I am just tryin to clear things up cause I was gonna order from them...
Old 12-01-02, 04:04 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

from what i have heard suvlights.com hid are real. jen at suvlights.com buys them from alex at mcculloch.
Old 12-01-02, 02:04 PM
jeffandi
Driver

I just recently ordered from suvlights.com and got the real deal Philips uniton 6000k bulbs. They did not come in the packaging shown in the earlier post. They came in small cardboard boxes. I didn't take any pictures.

I had a good experience with suvlights.com. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Jeff
Old 12-02-02, 10:30 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Projectimports.com says that their Philips Ultinons 6000K kits are AUTHENTIC Philips bulbs and ballast with warranty. Packaging and wiring are made in Taiwan.

Not sure if this is the reason why some ppl feel that there are fake bulbs out there.

Can't comment on suvlights.com

Pete
Old 12-02-02, 11:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
Projectimports.com says that their Philips Ultinons 6000K kits are AUTHENTIC Philips bulbs and ballast with warranty. Packaging and wiring are made in Taiwan.

Not sure if this is the reason why some ppl feel that there are fake bulbs out there.

Can't comment on suvlights.com

Pete
i thought all philips bulbs and ballasts are made in germany?

Last edited by rominl; 12-02-02 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 05:23 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

romini:

You are correct....Philips bulbs and ballasts are made in Germany.... ONLY packaging and wiring are made in Taiwan.

Pete

Quick Reply: Philips 6000K Ultinons