Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Finally - Audi TT HID retrofit in my 92' ES

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 12:10 PM
see_fu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
actually you should lose some color and your lights will scatter a little. the plastic lens on halogen car is pretty thick and not made for HID. so when light hits it it goes in all direction kind of light when you shine a flashlight through a cup of water. most of the light will go in the right direction but SOME of it will get scattered. with HID housing. the lens is made up of a special material thats very very clear, thin, and strong. when light hits it it goes right through.
that's wierd because when I compared the thickness of the materials from a oem xenon headlamp to the halogen stuff it looks similiar.
Old 02-10-03, 02:50 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

u mean to tell me I'm gonna loose some light output? Awe man? What about the ECE type lamps for the Toyota Windom in Europe? Is this one clear? I'm going to be as creative as possible. I still feel there's another way. If we can get around this...Great!Jamai22 can you point us to the link where you did that mod about sanding out those lines from your GS3 headlight?
Old 02-10-03, 09:27 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by tiguy99
u mean to tell me I'm gonna loose some light output? Awe man? What about the ECE type lamps for the Toyota Windom in Europe? Is this one clear? I'm going to be as creative as possible. I still feel there's another way. If we can get around this...Great!Jamai22 can you point us to the link where you did that mod about sanding out those lines from your GS3 headlight?
ECE is just a type of projector just like halogen and HID projectors. ECE is a type of higher quality much clearer projector. that means the light will shoot out further. these are very rare and expensive to find. even if you do get one you will still be putting it behind a halogen lens. unless you want to get an entire HID housing(ex. bmw entire headlight assembly) and customize your car to fit it is the only way to get optimal light output.

here is a link of me sandind down my lens to make it thinner and to get rid of those lines
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=project+one
light ouput did increase but still not significant

here is a link to my night time pictures. as you can see my passenger side is brighter(thats what people said) because i have only done my passenger side
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=night+time

currently i'm in the process of getting a new acryclic lens made for the first gen gs. wahoo. super super clear, thinner, and stronger. almost identical OEM HID lens
Old 02-10-03, 10:31 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow...all that work...do you feel it was in vain? I have the equipment, with the relay in place and the wiring to hook it all up. I just gotta get my hands on a dremmel. And out here the funny part is people I've been talking to about loaning me a dremmel cutting tool look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. I don't want to have to shell out an additional 60.00 but if I have to...most stores DO have a 30 day return policy
Old 02-10-03, 10:34 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

yep, you can always buy and return items after 30 days. that what i did to take all pictures of my car that i have posted. lol. i thinking sanding down of the lines in myheadlight looks a lot better BUT it took like 1 entire day of work to do 1 side. and the increase in light is minimal. a new custom lens is the only way to go.