Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID not lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 10:45 AM
LexFather

Default HID not lighting?

Ths weekend I met with a friend of mine to install some Phillips HID's. Got them in, turned the switch, and all that happened is the clicking of the relay for the ballasts. We tried them on his LEgend and they worked fine. What gives? I even turned the car on..no dice.
They are d2r/d2s Philips, 4100k bulbs.
If you havew any idea, please hit me on my two-way...I did a search but nothing about this.

For a member here, thanks.
Old 12-17-02, 11:39 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
As stated above, and this is for my SC400.

Plugged them in, the only signs of life were the relays clicking on to indicate they have power. Try the same setup on my friend's Acura Legend (both sides) and they shine very bright. Now my factory bulbs worked just fine afterwards in my SC. What gives? Does this mean I cannot use the Philips Kits and I have to use a retro kit or is it a relay that I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can also be reached on my two way at founders@legendarylegendz.com
Old 12-17-02, 02:35 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

are you using a relay?? if not i would try to make a relay. sometimes at the connector there is not enough power to actually spark the ballast to turn on the bulbs. so you use a relay which uses the power directly from the battery.
Old 12-17-02, 02:48 PM
legendary
Racer

Originally posted by Jmai22
are you using a relay?? if not i would try to make a relay. sometimes at the connector there is not enough power to actually spark the ballast to turn on the bulbs. so you use a relay which uses the power directly from the battery.
thanks, I will investigate another relay if possible
Old 12-18-02, 06:53 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Let us know what you find out, cuz I'm lookin' to get some HID's (when I get another job) as my next mod... and was considering that kit.

Peace!
Old 12-19-02, 01:27 PM
legendary
Racer

will do....I wish that there was some input from the other SC owners here. Does anyone else have any input? I guess I will play around with this while I am off for the next few weeks on vacation.
Old 12-20-02, 05:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure the wiring is correct? You're not shorting that relay/ballast out somewhere? the relay should be wired directly to the battery...

Check out my install on my SC400...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=48111
Old 12-20-02, 04:43 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to me before. I bought a set of hids from a guy who had it installed on his bmw. When I put them on a GS300, they would not work. I am 99% certain you have to reverse the wires. Meaning the positive on the hid kit has to connect to the negative on your cars connector. And the negative has to connect to the positive.
Old 12-23-02, 09:03 PM
Copout221
Driver

Same thing happend to me last week with my Philips HID kit. What I needed to do was reverse the plug that triggers the relay from the car. The OEM plug that connects to your stock low beam bulbs plugs into one of the plugs on the ballast or relay ( depending on your kit ). If you do not get a response when the plugs are connected so they lock together reverse them, it will not damage the ballast's or bulbs. After doing this you should have light but you will need to reverse the plug on the hid kit reversing the wires or tape (cheap way) the plug in it's reverse order so it stays together. I thought this would not work because the oem plug wire and the HID kit wire that were being connected were red and I figured that was the positive, I was wrong. Most cars do not work this way, all you need to do is plug the harnesses together and it works. Lexus automobiles are different for some reason. I hope this does the trick. Also, the relay you are hearing now when you turn your lights on is the factory OEM relay. I heard the same thing and thought the kit was defective !!! Good Luck
Old 12-24-02, 12:22 AM
legendary
Racer

wow!

Thanks for the responses guys, I will try this out when I return from my vacation. Very good info. I will let you know the results.
Old 12-30-02, 08:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have also learned recently that the LENGTH of the wiring could effect the ballast's ability to spark up the lights...

From what I was told, a 13" length is "optimal"...so 13" worth of wire from the ballast to the battery...however, longer lengths can work fine (as my autolamps online kit is 18")