Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Autolevel ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 09:46 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autolevel ?

Is it me or does the autolevel feature give the appearance of light coming from mostly the top half of the lense ? I mean, if you look at say a GS or RX the HID doesn't fill the whole area like the halogen units do, is this because of the autoleveling feature directing/cutting the beam. I ask, because I would like to convert to HID, but knowing what is involved w/installing the autolevel feature (near impossible I'm told) would it look fake ? Or is this effect caused by the different lense pattern of the HID over the halogen lense ?? And can I just install the autolevel but not wire it up to the front and back of the car and still achieve OEM appearance ? Thanks guys, sorry so long !!
Old 12-17-02, 01:42 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HID reflectors are different than the halogen reflectors, and direct light in a different way. If you hooked up the reflectors designed specifically for HID, even without the autolevel, things would look much better. Freeform reflectors with the clear front glass have the geometry of the reflector precisely designed to work with a particular light source (the angles are computer mapped). A HID reflector that has 3x as much light to work with will disperse it differently than a halogen reflector.