Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Where to find HID lights for 98 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 11:35 AM
Max4Speed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find HID lights for 98 ES300?

Just purchased a 98 ES300 but I am not so happy with the stock headlights. I have HID kit on my 97 Maxima and was wondering if there are any aftermarket HID assembly I can purchase and for how much?

The only way I know of right now is to purchase the Hanabi H7 HID kit and install it. I was looking for more of an OEM option. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-02, 04:41 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe the folks in the lighting forum can help you out on this one...seing no responses from the ES guys. good luck.
Old 12-18-02, 04:47 PM
Max4Speed
Rookie

Originally posted by meZoom!
maybe the folks in the lighting forum can help you out on this one...seing no responses from the ES guys. good luck.
Thanks! I am still waiting ;-)
Old 12-18-02, 04:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well ther eis no difference i guess, just get an hid kit and you'd be happy
Old 12-18-02, 10:24 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

no dude...i dont think we can get HIDs on our cars....mine is a 99...but i think the multireflector system we have defeats the purpose of auto leveling and everything...besides..we dont use projector systems...so that wouldnt work either...UGH...there is much troubles w/ HID for later models ES
Old 12-18-02, 10:27 PM
Max4Speed
Rookie

Originally posted by NoLexNoSex
no dude...i dont think we can get HIDs on our cars....mine is a 99...but i think the multireflector system we have defeats the purpose of auto leveling and everything...besides..we dont use projector systems...so that wouldnt work either...UGH...there is much troubles w/ HID for later models ES

I have aftermarket HID kit on my 97 maxima with 9004 bulbs and it is perfectly fine. I think same kit with H7 bulbs is gona go in the lex ;-)
Old 12-18-02, 11:02 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by NoLexNoSex
You guys can swap in the HID housing from the 00-01 ES, and they'll be optically correct. There's no auto-levelling, true, but it's a lot easier mod than Dremelling out the factory projectors on a 92-96, and epoxying in BMW/Audi projectors, then making sure everything is aligned. Perhaps you can find the HID housings at a salvage yard. They have two separate reflectors, one for the lows and one for the highs, vs. the "blended" reflector on the halogen models.
Old 12-19-02, 01:52 AM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

Originally posted by squarehat

You guys can swap in the HID housing from the 00-01 ES, and they'll be optically correct. There's no auto-levelling, true, but it's a lot easier mod than Dremelling out the factory projectors on a 92-96, and epoxying in BMW/Audi projectors, then making sure everything is aligned.
Wait...so are you saying that we would remove the reflector system in the headlight housing and just put in the HID housing? And what Kelvin value are the HIDs of 00-01 ES? seems suprisingly easier than i previously thot
Old 12-19-02, 07:38 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

They are 4100K. It may require you to rig up a wiring harness to connect the ballasts to the factory connectors for the halogen bulbs. But the housings should be the same shape and size as the halogen units, it's unlikely the sheet metal would be different on HID equipped cars. They pop up every so often on eBay, usually a single side at a time, but if you're patient you can collect the parts for a high quality retrofit.
Also, since usually just the housings are for sale, and you have to purchase the bulb (D2R), ballast, and igniters separately, you could choose to go with the Philips Ultinon if you want 6000K.
Just to clarify, when I say "housing" I mean the entire headlight unit that pulls out of the car, I don't mean opening the lens to swap the just reflector bowls. (that may have caused some confusion)

Last edited by squarehat; 12-19-02 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 11:16 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

thanks a bunch...hmm...really wanna get 7000K or 7500K HIDS....i want that really intense blue light emitting from my car....that would look soo sweet....
Old 12-21-02, 08:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7000K or 7500K? Why not just buy some 85 watt Halogen bulbs and paint them with some Krylon True Blue? Come on, don't Honda-ize your car. 7000K and 7500K put out LESS LIGHT than a 6000K or 4100K system.

An intense blue light looks just rice. It will look like FAKE HID's (you know, those cheap *** $10 bulbs that burn out your $1000 harness?)

The BEST upgrade is to do a real HID projector swap out. It will give you the best light output and that "sought after" color flicker....PM Seefu...he does those type of mods....otherwise, I would just get a 6000K...it will give you a nice white with a slight hint of light purple (in most projectors...some projectors may change the color a little bit)
Old 12-21-02, 08:22 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

ehh..i'd rather have the 7000K w/ a bit less light output than just plain old halogens...i dont really care all that much about lighting the road up....i just want my lights to look nice. and I really think that intense bluish light is alright as long as it's HID...looks bad w/ fake halogens HID rip offs...but if I get HID i think the intense blue look'll be fine...i want mine to look like A6 HIDs i think they're pretty daymn blue HIDs
Old 12-21-02, 09:27 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Manaray knows what he's talking about.

The difference is that the A6 (and other Audi's and BMW's) use 4100K bulbs. Look at the beam dead-on, and it's white. Same with the light on the road. The blue/violet is from the color flicker created when viewing the projectors off axis (there's a bit of blue/violet at the very cut-off point created by the projectors). Looks good, puts out good light, and is less annoying to traffic than 7500K purple headlights.
It is possible to mount an A6 projector in place of a reflector bowl with some Dremel and epoxying skills. tiguy99 posted a great writeup on a guy who did a clean retrofit of A6 projectors into a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which, like the 98 ES, has multireflector lights.

Last edited by squarehat; 12-21-02 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray
7000K or 7500K? Why not just buy some 85 watt Halogen bulbs and paint them with some Krylon True Blue? Come on, don't Honda-ize your car. 7000K and 7500K put out LESS LIGHT than a 6000K or 4100K system.

An intense blue light looks just rice. It will look like FAKE HID's (you know, those cheap *** $10 bulbs that burn out your $1000 harness?)

The BEST upgrade is to do a real HID projector swap out. It will give you the best light output and that "sought after" color flicker....PM Seefu...he does those type of mods....otherwise, I would just get a 6000K...it will give you a nice white with a slight hint of light purple (in most projectors...some projectors may change the color a little bit)
manaray has great sense of taste
Old 12-21-02, 10:59 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope this helps!!! Less than a week away from when I get my car! I was actually considering 97 + style for a while but since I've actually bought A6 progs, I'm sticking to the script. Meanwhile, mburnickas did a write-up on your topic already!!!!
Enjoy!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=es300+hid

Quick Reply: Where to find HID lights for 98 ES300?