Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS300 Lighting questions for you pros!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-02, 03:44 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Lighting questions for you pros!

Hi! I"ve got a couple of questions regarding lighting on my 99 GS300 and would prefer to not take it to the dealer who wants to charge me $85.00 / hour.

I recently had my HID look blue bulbs melt one of my harnesses so I replaced them back to stock. I took it to the dealer asking about replacing the socket connectors and they said that I have to replace the entire wiring harness system (over a grand) because the plastic socket connectors do not come by themselves and you have to replace the entire harness system.

Anyway, that dealer lied because another dealer told me that I can get the socket connectors separately for $10.00. Anyway, when I got back to get my car back, my passenger low beam light was out and so were my fogs. I got pissed and asked them why and they said that it was due to progressive damage from my wiring harness problem. Great, I take it in and all the lights work and after they mess aroudn with it, 3 lights are out.

Anyway, I replaced the melted socket connector with the new one that I bought and still, my right low beam and fogs are out.

***HELP!!!****

1) Are the fogs being out a result of the pass low beam being out?

2) I hear that right and left fuses are separate. Where are these fuses? Driver side inside? Passenger side inside? Engine compartment?

3) In your opinion, if the plastic connectors melted but the light worked but you replaced the plastic ones with new ones and the light now doesn't work, what is the cause? And does this problem cause my entire electrical system of my car to be compromised (i.e. my fogs).

Thanks for any help possible.

Ryan
Old 12-19-02, 04:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

shoot, this suck hell.... umm... try to see if i can help:

1) it could well be, coz' there is a signal controlling both the fogs and the low beam
2) umm... i am not very sure about this one. there is a guy in the GS forum with his lights out too and he checked teh fuses. pm and ask him
3) well it *could* be. if the connector is melted, the wires inside could short with each other, and that might burn the fuse. hopefully it's just the fuse that's causing the problem. and since the damn dealer might have touched the wiring here and there, they might have triggered the melting.

on a side note, call lexus and complain about the dealer and how they lie to you and just want to eat your money. also write a letter to the owner of the dealer to complain about it. and most of all, post the name of the dealer here so we don't bother to go there... (preferably the service manager too, coz' it varies from people to people a lot)
Old 12-19-02, 09:51 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Default Los Angeles Dealer Service complaint

Lexus of Beverly Hills.

Either they are crooks, thieves, liars, or idiots. Take your pick.

crooks charge $4500 to replace a burnt out socket connector because you admit that you used blue HID bulbs.

thieves tell you that they will "help you out" by providing the wiring harness for free but still charge the 2 days of labor to replace the socket connectors *BUT* you have to buy $2100 in tune up

liars tell you that the socket connectors cannot be bought separate from the wiring harness and the wiring harness is over $1000 and 2 days of labor. (they can, actually)

idiots don't check the fuse box to see that the fuse has blown which is why my fogs and front lamp was out.

Take your pick. I will be reporting them to Lexus customer service tomorrow. I will make sure that the District Manager knows what they tried to do. I will also make it known that I went to Lexus of Santa monica and told them the same story and they fixed my problem (but they too forgot the fuse but that's ok because they were helping me in the dark in the parking lot w/o a work order) for a grand total of .... $9.00.

Sigh what people do for an xmas bonus.
Old 12-19-02, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, sorry to hear about all that, you definitely have the right to rant and should report it to lexus about BH lexus... they suck.... i have been there and didn't really feel much. the people at santa monica lexus were VERY nice on the other hand (i go to LA very often)

so the problem is fixed? if so i am glad it all worked out
Old 12-20-02, 04:25 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

i burned my harness on passenger side and what i did i had to "sother" my wires temporarily before i got my retrofit done..
Old 06-13-04, 01:45 AM
disc108
Lead Lap

i melted my driver's side fog light wiring harness. I bought the outer plastic piece (about $8) but i can't figure out how to get the inner part off? can u replace the inner part because part of that is melted as well...
Old 06-14-04, 09:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how are the harnesses melting ???
Old 06-15-04, 09:38 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexusondubs
how are the harnesses melting ???
Extremely high wattage bulbs ... ala HID "look-a-alikes" -- they try to make them higher wattage to make them burn brighter to give the HID effect of added visibility.
Old 06-15-04, 10:21 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well when i bought my new bulbs i bought very close to the stock wattage bulbs only like 5 or 10 watts higher will i be ok and not melt anything ...........