Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 11:27 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rominl,

Yes, I have noticed that also on my '02 RX w/ factory HIDs...the white light only comes out of the top of the reflector. Any idea what causes a fairly wide band of yellow light (almost like a fog light) to come out of the bottom of the reflector (I notice this only on the RX's...no other Lexus HID model seems to do this)? Take a look next time you see an RX. It's really also noticable when the clear housing is a little dirty and you can see the beam pattern on the housing. It looks exactly like a fog light was built-in. I'm wondering if it's something on the bulb itself or maybe Lexus did something with the bulb shield that's part of the reflector assembly.
Old 12-27-02, 01:32 AM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

Originally posted by steevr
Rominl,

Yes, I have noticed that also on my '02 RX w/ factory HIDs...the white light only comes out of the top of the reflector. Any idea what causes a fairly wide band of yellow light (almost like a fog light) to come out of the bottom of the reflector (I notice this only on the RX's...no other Lexus HID model seems to do this)? Take a look next time you see an RX. It's really also noticable when the clear housing is a little dirty and you can see the beam pattern on the housing. It looks exactly like a fog light was built-in. I'm wondering if it's something on the bulb itself or maybe Lexus did something with the bulb shield that's part of the reflector assembly.
wait...i thot RX's had HID in big reflector and reg stock bulbs in bottom half like in that horizontal strip right on bottom of headlight assembly.
Old 12-27-02, 12:16 PM
steevr
Pole Position

They still have the traditional halogen projector foglight in the bottom part of the headlight assembly. The HID is in the large headlight reflector. The HID light coming out of the bottom of that large reflector (below where the bulb shield is) has a yellowish glow to it. None of the other Lexus models (other than the RX) seems to have this yellow color coming from the bottom of the HID headlight reflector.

I'll try and take picture and post it.
Old 12-27-02, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Rominl,

umm... i need to take a look at the rx to see how it's done. sounds very interesting though. maybe they design the housing very smartly to create the effect
Old 12-27-02, 03:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

They still have the traditional halogen projector foglight in the bottom part of the headlight assembly. The HID is in the large headlight reflector. The HID light coming out of the bottom of that large reflector (below where the bulb shield is) has a yellowish glow to it. None of the other Lexus models (other than the RX) seems to have this yellow color coming from the bottom of the HID headlight reflector.

I'll try and take picture and post it.
umm.... that's very interesting
Old 12-29-02, 11:35 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Ok, here's some pics to show you what I mean about yellow HID light coming out of the bottom of the RX reflector.

This first pic shows the beam pattern against my black garage door. Notice a yellow band of light on the bottom?...this is coming from the headlight....the fog light is off.
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-hid1.jpg  
Old 12-29-02, 11:37 AM
steevr
Pole Position

This pic is a closeup of the reflector. The scratches you see on the light housing is dirt and salt spray.
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-hid2.jpg  
Old 12-29-02, 11:38 AM
steevr
Pole Position

You can see the beam pattern on the housing on this shot.
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-hid3.jpg  
Old 12-29-02, 11:42 AM
steevr
Pole Position

Here's the final pic. This one is from the driver's side. See, I'm not crazy. So the question still is, is there something special on the bulb that's producing the yellow or is it something in the cap that's covering the bulb?
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-hid4.jpg  

Last edited by steevr; 12-29-02 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-29-02, 01:29 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

On all OEM HID setups with reflector housings you will notice that the whole reflector housing is not lit up. It is usually 1/2 - 3/4 of the top of the housing. I know with the Lexus reflector housings you can easily see that only the top half is lit up. There is a large shield keeping the light up top. Also, D2R bulbs (with the shield) are used. Try switching to a D2R and see what happens.
Old 12-29-02, 08:09 PM
steevr
Pole Position

LexRX,

They are D2R's. If you look at the last picture, you'll notice the label "D2R" stamped into the plastic headlight housing.
Old 12-29-02, 09:23 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

LexRX,

They are D2R's. If you look at the last picture, you'll notice the label "D2R" stamped into the plastic headlight housing.
You're right, they are D2R - I thought you had put in a set of aftermarket HID bulbs in your OEM housing.

I have a Phillips HID kit in my 2000 RX (OEM halogen) and I too get some yellow at the bottom of the reflector. It doesn't look the same as yours, steevr, but it is there. It appears to be coming from the bulb area itself, but it isn't as bad as yours. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 12-29-02, 09:36 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Warming Up

You can see that the green is not evident (or present at all) while the lights are warming up and a bluish color. I know, the lenses are dirty!
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-warming-up.jpg  

Last edited by LexRX; 12-29-02 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-29-02, 09:38 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You can see from the reflection on my pants that there is a strip of greenish color between the white HID color and halogen foglights.
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-pants.jpg  
Old 12-29-02, 09:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Here is a close-up of the lens where you can get a glimpse of the green at the bottom part of the lens.
Attached Thumbnails Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.-close-up-lens.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thought about 6000k hid kit I got.