Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Looking for the closest matching wedge bulbs to HID

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 06:22 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the closest matching wedge bulbs to HID

I know this topic was brought up before, but I haven't gotten a clear answer yet and I'm sure others are curious too...
I tried the Polarg M6, and the Piaas, as well as some LED's. Still haven't found a good match to the factory HID's.
Any ideas? Anything new out there on the market?
Thanks
Old 01-12-03, 06:39 PM
BLW
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool M6 or PIAA???

I do not have the answer to your question . I just installed the M6 bulbs and thought they were a great improvement over the factory wedge bulbs for matching the factory HIDs. I will admit they are not an exact match, but a vast improvement. I would like to ask you, between the PIAAs and M6s, which is the closest color match and which ones are you running currently?
I will add that I feel much more confident in having people see my vehicle from the front when parked with the M6s glowing than the brown factory bulbs!!
Old 01-12-03, 07:15 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BLW,
You're right, anything's better than stock.
The Polarg's look decent and I was impressed at first, but after a few months, they developed a blackish coating on them, lost some of the color (turned more yellow) and the bulbs are a pain to install/remove. Mine busted inside the lens and it took hours to remove all the broken glass inside the lens.
Now I'm running Piaa (extremes? I think). They were a bit too blue (fake hid blue) in comparison to the HID's, so I used some paint thinner to remove a thin layer of the blue coating. The effect worked and they're less "fake hid color" but they still do not match the HID's, not even close...
Old 01-12-03, 07:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so far from what i see, m6 is the best already
Old 01-12-03, 07:35 PM
BLW
Driver

Default Ohh!!!

Originally posted by gs4to4
BLW,
You're right, anything's better than stock.
The Polarg's look decent and I was impressed at first, but after a few months, they developed a blackish coating on them, lost some of the color (turned more yellow) and the bulbs are a pain to install/remove. Mine busted inside the lens and it took hours to remove all the broken glass inside the lens.
Now I'm running Piaa (extremes? I think). They were a bit too blue (fake hid blue) in comparison to the HID's, so I used some paint thinner to remove a thin layer of the blue coating. The effect worked and they're less "fake hid color" but they still do not match the HID's, not even close...
The last thing i want is to go fishing for small pieces of burnt glass sitting inside my headlamps. I know the M6 is a larger lamp and makes for a harder install, and it appears to be de-install, what should I look for as a precursor for these lamps starting to change color? If these M6s fail I will reinstall the yellow lamps!

How about you other's with long term M6 bulb installs? Problems with color change and if so how long did they hold their color?

Thanks gs4to4 to for the heads up!!!!
Old 01-12-03, 08:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well the whole idea behind super hard install and almost impossible uninstall totally ditched me away from using the m6. i have the m4, holding up good, and my car is blue anyway, so i don't mind a bit of blue, haha
Old 01-12-03, 08:28 PM
BLW
Driver

Default Pict!!

Originally posted by rominl
well the whole idea behind super hard install and almost impossible uninstall totally ditched me away from using the m6. i have the m4, holding up good, and my car is blue anyway, so i don't mind a bit of blue, haha
Shoot us a pict of your blue on blue. I was afraid of the M4s putting out too much blue with the lower wattage. I like blue paint, but shy away from too blue light. Let Us See!!!!

Thanks
Old 01-12-03, 08:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Pict!!

Originally posted by BLW

Shoot us a pict of your blue on blue. I was afraid of the M4s putting out too much blue with the lower wattage. I like blue paint, but shy away from too blue light. Let Us See!!!!

Thanks
no, actuall it's just spec. the stock bulb is 5W and the M4 is also 5W, so it's not that blue at all. M6 is 15W and that's what pushing the limit

no pics i have take do justice i have 6000K hid and that covers up everything. in fact, as long as you are 3 feet away the M4 would blends in very well with the HID and the car. if you are too close you will notice that the M4 has blue hue around it
Old 01-12-03, 09:29 PM
BLW
Driver

Default Re: Re: Pict!!

Originally posted by rominl

no, actuall it's just spec. the stock bulb is 5W and the M4 is also 5W, so it's not that blue at all. M6 is 15W and that's what pushing the limit

no pics i have take do justice i have 6000K hid and that covers up everything. in fact, as long as you are 3 feet away the M4 would blends in very well with the HID and the car. if you are too close you will notice that the M4 has blue hue around it
Do you have or could shoot a pict of just the parking lights on without the 6000k headlamps? Maybe in the garage during the day or evening without too much daylight showing in the pict to skew the color balance of the shot. If it's a PIA, I understand, I would just like to satisfy my sense of curiousity.

Thanks rominl
Old 01-13-03, 12:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem man, i will try tonight
Old 01-13-03, 02:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

alright, i took some pics again, they don't do the real justice, but these are the best i could do. condition, 10pm, no flash, underground garage, ok lighting

also, keep in mind though, i have 6000k hid kit, so my hid is bluer and whiter than most people. i also have yellow fogs too, so you can compare

moreover, you might see that it seems a bit purple, but the funny thing is in reality, there is no purplish look at all, synergy can vouch for me. i didn't put on any color adjustment on the pics

Old 01-13-03, 12:13 PM
BLW
Driver

Default Thanks !!!!!

Hey rominl

Thanks alot for taking the picts!!!! They aswered my questions .

Thanks Again!!!!
Old 01-13-03, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you welcome, anything to help
Old 01-13-03, 11:16 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

reason 468 why it sucks living in minneapolis: i've gone to three
different auto places, looking for polarg bulbs, and have no success locating. the people act like i'm asking in japanese! so, i was looking on ebay for polarg m4's. nothing specifically noted for lexus. has anyone got their m4's on ebay? what's a good place to buy online if ebay isn't a good option?
Old 01-13-03, 11:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

tried optauto.com? on ebay just search for polarg m4. it's generic bulb

Quick Reply: Looking for the closest matching wedge bulbs to HID