Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

hid conversion 4300k vs 6000k which is closer to oem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 12:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by MrSypher

Damn Romy it seems as though people should just spend the extra cash and just have it installed.. Looks like it'll save time and maybe some money when you try to DYI and then have to pay someone to fix your mistakes...
haha well, imho, if the whole job (6 pieces) costs around 60 bucks it's worth it. i am serious, it's not easy to do at all. but 90 bucks seem a bit too much
Old 01-17-03, 04:01 AM
Copout221
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only pay to have the low beams lenses done. Those were the PITA. The fogs and high beams were simple. I use to install tint professionaly and this is almost the same concept except they call for an alcohol solution rather than a soap solution I am use to. I applied enough solution and worked each piece as the instructions called for so I did not get bubbles/air pockets. I used a heat gun on the low setting and took my time. Today the lenses look better but there is still alot of cloudy spots and very small pockets of solution I could not get out. If they do not dry out I will most likely deal with it rather than spend more $$.
Old 01-17-03, 04:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Copout221
I would only pay to have the low beams lenses done. Those were the PITA. The fogs and high beams were simple. I use to install tint professionaly and this is almost the same concept except they call for an alcohol solution rather than a soap solution I am use to. I applied enough solution and worked each piece as the instructions called for so I did not get bubbles/air pockets. I used a heat gun on the low setting and took my time. Today the lenses look better but there is still alot of cloudy spots and very small pockets of solution I could not get out. If they do not dry out I will most likely deal with it rather than spend more $$.
oh hey, if you just get the cloudy packets, just wait, weeks, months, whatever. they WILL dry out! the gs4 is the second car i worked on, my acura was the first one. i didn't do a good job and left some solution behind. over days it became cloudy. it was winter so it took a LONG time, but 2 months after i installed the kit, they dried out and everything is clear

as long as you don't have bubble inside, you are good

and man you lucky to have heat gun, much faster. i only had a hair dryer, talk about patience...
Old 01-20-03, 06:14 PM
HOUTXGS300
Driver School Candidate

Talking 4100 VS 6000K

HEY I HAVE A HID KIT IN MY 1998 GS 300 AND I LOVE THE 6000K PEOPLE ASK ME ALL THE TIME HEY HOW DID YOU GET YOUR LIGHTS TO LOOK LIKE THE BMW,BENZ,TT ECT...... LOOK THAT IS THE NEW COLOR TO GET BUT DON'T LET ME TAKE AWAY FROM THE OEM HID LIGHTS 4100K BUT IF YOU ARE LOOK FOR SUN LIGHT 4100K BUT IF YOU WANT THE NIGHT TO BE YOUR'S WHEN YOU PULL UP TO THE CLUB AND ALL THE GIRL LOOKING LIKE DAM WHO'S THAT MAN THAT IS SO COOL BUT MAN YOU HAVE TO SEE WHAT IS IT YOU ARE LOOK FOR OUT OF YOUR HID LIGHTS COLOR ARE SUN LIGHT BOTH OR BRIGHT. SORRY FOR NOT BEING ANY HELP
Old 01-20-03, 06:19 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: 4100 VS 6000K

Originally posted by HOUTXGS300
HEY I HAVE A HID KIT IN MY 1998 GS 300 AND I LOVE THE 6000K PEOPLE ASK ME ALL THE TIME HEY HOW DID YOU GET YOUR LIGHTS TO LOOK LIKE THE BMW,BENZ,TT ECT...... LOOK THAT IS THE NEW COLOR TO GET BUT DON'T LET ME TAKE AWAY FROM THE OEM HID LIGHTS 4100K BUT IF YOU ARE LOOK FOR SUN LIGHT 4100K BUT IF YOU WANT THE NIGHT TO BE YOUR'S WHEN YOU PULL UP TO THE CLUB AND ALL THE GIRL LOOKING LIKE DAM WHO'S THAT MAN THAT IS SO COOL BUT MAN YOU HAVE TO SEE WHAT IS IT YOU ARE LOOK FOR OUT OF YOUR HID LIGHTS COLOR ARE SUN LIGHT BOTH OR BRIGHT. SORRY FOR NOT BEING ANY HELP
Yeah, what he said......
Old 01-20-03, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well imho depends on what you want, 4300k and 6000k can basically cover up everything you want. if you want the most practical street legal stuff, get 4300k. if you want to catch more eyes, bimmer type hid, get 6000k

now if you want your car to be a TRUE SHOW car, and JUST for shows, 8000k might work and it would be nice. other than that, i wouldn't recommend 8000k hid on any street cars
Old 01-21-03, 02:27 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hid conversion 4300k vs 6000k which is closer to oem

Originally posted by joshoowa
Thinking that it was not a big deal I bought a gs300 non-hid. (that was a year ago) well this past weekend I bought an rx300 with hids and love them, so that brings me to my question. I’ve been reading a lot on this site and came to a decision that I want to purchase a conversion kit for my gs300 but with all this controversy about the 6000k and 4300k I just don’t know which one to buy, I hear that the 6000k looks like those fake blue halogen bulbs but I could be wrong and then I hear the 4300k turns yellow after awhile so if someone could give me a good way to go either the 6000k or the 4300k I will be in the debt.
p.s. I always see people post there picture of there 6000k conversion but never the 4300k why?
If you like the RX300 HIDs, then you should get the 4100K HIDs. They are the brightest and longest lasting. Some people have problems with eye fatigue on the 6000K bulbs because they are too blue on the road. 4100K bulbs are just very bright and very white so you won't encounter any such issues. I wouldn't ever describe them as being "yellowish" either, but some make that false characterization.

6000K doesn't look fake by any means, but they are definitely bluish, which a lot of people like. That is why you hear a lot about 6000K kits. When people spend hundreds on a new car mod like an HID kit, they want a dramatic difference that justifies the $500. So 6000K gives them that dramatic difference becuase not only is it brighter, but it's bluer and the car suddenly looks a bit more noticeable than before. I suspect the people with 4100K HID kits feel immasculated by all this 6000K frenzy and thus never post about it.
Old 01-21-03, 05:17 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: hid conversion 4300k vs 6000k which is closer to oem

Originally posted by lex400sc
I wouldn't ever describe them as being "yellowish" either, but some make that false characterization.
I have both 4100K on my RX and 6000K on the GS.. When side by side with the headlights on, the 4100K look yellowish compared to the 6000K... They really do... I'll take a pic tonight just to show you..
Old 01-22-03, 12:34 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

cool. I cant wait to see the pics..
Bryan
Old 01-22-03, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

this is a pic i found with 4300k and 6000k hid on acura. the yellow one (left) is 4300k and the white one (right) is 6000k. you make the call
Attached Thumbnails hid conversion 4300k vs 6000k which is closer to oem-30.jpg  
Old 01-22-03, 09:53 AM
Copout221
Driver

One thing I have learned from adding HID to my car was that all the pictures I reviewed on this forum did not properly reflect the true light output or color. Because of this I initially purchased a 6000k HID upgrade kit and found it to be extremely blue/purple and it just did not look right on a lexus. Alot of people made negative comments about them and continually told me to take the bulbs back to the Honda civic guy I bought them from. Anyway, Autolamps-Online were nice enough to exchange the 6000k bulbs for the 4100k bulbs and I love them. They are brighter, extremely natural white, and don't fatigue my eyes like the 6000k's did. The best way to describe them is to compare them to a white (not yellow or amber) fluorescent street light or the lights that are used in most commercial hardware stores like Home Depot. I have also noticed that my 4100k lights are brighter than a stock GS 4100k hid system. I don't know why this is. I would take a picture of them but they do not look correct and it would be a waste.
Old 01-22-03, 12:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Copout221
One thing I have learned from adding HID to my car was that all the pictures I reviewed on this forum did not properly reflect the true light output or color. Because of this I initially purchased a 6000k HID upgrade kit and found it to be extremely blue/purple and it just did not look right on a lexus. Alot of people made negative comments about them and continually told me to take the bulbs back to the Honda civic guy I bought them from. Anyway, Autolamps-Online were nice enough to exchange the 6000k bulbs for the 4100k bulbs and I love them. They are brighter, extremely natural white, and don't fatigue my eyes like the 6000k's did. The best way to describe them is to compare them to a white (not yellow or amber) fluorescent street light or the lights that are used in most commercial hardware stores like Home Depot. I have also noticed that my 4100k lights are brighter than a stock GS 4100k hid system. I don't know why this is. I would take a picture of them but they do not look correct and it would be a waste.
yours is a bit brighter coz' you are actually using d2s bulbs instead of d2r bulbs on stock gs with hid. my gs is brighter than other gs with stock hid on the road too, even i have a dimmer 6000k.

very true, no pics can do justice. every time i take pics of my car with hid it's just frustration. but for comparsion i guess it's ok.
Old 01-22-03, 03:13 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Romy.... Now I don't have to snap any pics.. I guess thats what everyone means when they say 4100K are more "yellowish" and the 6000K are just white...
Old 01-27-03, 11:03 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 4100 VS 6000K

Originally posted by HOUTXGS300
huh?
Old 01-28-03, 04:02 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

just FYI. there's a few people that have been able to develop a 50watt hid system now. dunno how reliable they are though, but if any of u have any electrical engineering background u could easily reverse engineer the system to shoot out 50watts of power.

Quick Reply: hid conversion 4300k vs 6000k which is closer to oem