Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 06:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fasted1953
Also swapped the reverse bulbs and the trunk light.
Just in case, get ready to do this again. I saw that you are looking at swapping out the tails and the 01+ tails take a different reverse light bulb. M6 instead of the M2 for the 98-00 tails.
Old 01-23-05, 06:09 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Just in case, get ready to do this again. I saw that you are looking at swapping out the tails and the 01+ tails take a different reverse light bulb. M6 instead of the M2 for the 98-00 tails.
I know, I know. I'm getting carried away with these mods I think. Great fun though.

Last edited by fasted1953; 01-23-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 01:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fasted1953
I know, I know. I'm getting carried away with these mods I think. Great fun though.
well that's what i did too, did it on the 98 taillights, and later on i got 01
Old 02-01-05, 05:41 PM
Jay Doss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING.... reguarding LED Bulbs!!

Hey guys,

I just got in some 9 LED bulbs from ebay (Velocity LEDs) and installed them only to find that since they are predominately forward projecting light sources and longer than the stock 194 by ~1 cm, they inadequately illuminate the parabolic reflector that Lexus designed for them to !!

Don't get me wrong, they are bright little lights, but that is all they are when you step back and look at them......bright little spots of light off center of the inner headlights!! They look even dimmer when you turn on the HIDs!!!

Look at the comparisons on this thread and you can see how well the BULBS light up the reflector housing compared to the LEDs.

I think I will have to get the M4s unless anyone knows of a reason why not to?!

Hope this helps.

Jay
Old 02-02-05, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jay Doss
Hey guys,

I just got in some 9 LED bulbs from ebay (Velocity LEDs) and installed them only to find that since they are predominately forward projecting light sources and longer than the stock 194 by ~1 cm, they inadequately illuminate the parabolic reflector that Lexus designed for them to !!

Don't get me wrong, they are bright little lights, but that is all they are when you step back and look at them......bright little spots of light off center of the inner headlights!! They look even dimmer when you turn on the HIDs!!!

Look at the comparisons on this thread and you can see how well the BULBS light up the reflector housing compared to the LEDs.

I think I will have to get the M4s unless anyone knows of a reason why not to?!

Hope this helps.

Jay
very interesting info, never thought about that

well i have m4 and always love it, not planning on changing it any time soon at all
Old 02-18-05, 02:26 PM
pearlg4
Driver School Candidate

Default Where is the detail on chaing DRL lights?

I read somewhere a detailed report on changing the DRL's to the Polarg bulbs? Where is the thread???
Old 02-18-05, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pearlg4
I read somewhere a detailed report on changing the DRL's to the Polarg bulbs? Where is the thread???
umm, you mean the small bulb in the high beam housing? just twist and it's loose from teh back?
Old 02-23-05, 05:56 PM
clk3.gs3
Driver School Candidate

Default Opening the dome light

1st post - Does the front center dome light cover just pop open? I'm going to put blue LEDs in. Does the whole trim come down or just the white plastic cover? This thread was very helpful now I know what to get. I put blue LEDs in my CLK so now my husband wants me to do his.
Old 02-23-05, 08:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by clk3.gs3
1st post - Does the front center dome light cover just pop open? I'm going to put blue LEDs in. Does the whole trim come down or just the white plastic cover? This thread was very helpful now I know what to get. I put blue LEDs in my CLK so now my husband wants me to do his.
just the clear lens plastic piece is going to come off, the trim stays there. you will have to be very carful when you pry out the lens though, coz' it's pretty soft, and you can deform it a little. make sure you cover up the pryer (flat head screw driver?) with a cloth or so
Old 02-23-05, 08:51 PM
clk3.gs3
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. I was scared of cracking it so I stopped, looks like I was on the right track. Thanks
Old 03-01-05, 01:50 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any ideas on the ashtray light? the stock one sucks bigtime!
Old 04-07-05, 02:33 PM
jaja
Pole Position

Default 1998 GS400 Interior LEDs

I was looking at superlumination.com and they have a million different types of 194 bulbs. I am looking to replace the bulbs with LEDs

1. dome light 3175
2. map lights (can't find the number.... 194?)
3. door courtesy lamps 194
and some more here and there...

The thing that got me puzzled is that there are many different types... domed, spot, muti-bulb, single bulb.... so anyone got any specifics on suggestable LED types in specific locations? (or did I mis this thread...sorry if I did.)
Old 04-08-05, 05:06 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Hey Rom, do you know where I can find a pic of these two bulbs?

foot well light - #74
vanity mirror - m24 (a bit fatter in shape but should fit)

I cannot find those two on any website with a pic. For example it is easy to find the M17 (dome light), but not those two above.
Old 04-08-05, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

not sure about m24, i didn't change my vanity mirror bulb

the #74 led, i will try to search for the link. they have pic on that site that sells led, superbrightled or something? i keep on forgetting about that site. BR1AN knows the site name
Old 05-12-05, 04:22 AM
r0llm0del
Driver

i want to change my stock rear brake bulbs and rear amber turn signals to leds. any of you guys that have done this mod, please share your your info. whats the bulb # for the rear turn blinker? is it the same as the rear brake bulb? also which color led would u recommend for the rear brake light? red or white or does it really matter? i checked out superbrightleds.com and they have a variety of number of leds ranging from 12-30 leds/per bulb with narrow or wide angle. which one will fit my 99 GS3 and what is the difference between single and dual filament?

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information