98+ GS lighting information

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 01:22 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by kyle3481
on ebay this one guy is selling 1157 and claim its 12V also for the turn signals.......will those work though?
how much Volts are the 7440 running?
They're all 12V. AFAIK ALL automotive lighting is 12V. The question is the socket and wattage. 1157 is a dual filament bulb. I don't believe the GS uses 1157s anywhere. On the GS front blinkers are 1156, rears are 7440. The 7440 uses 21W. Some aftermarket makers bump the wattage to 27W to maintain same brightness as stock because they're using colored glass (ie blue, red, superwhite, etc).

One thing I haven't checked for is if you'll need a load balancer for the blinker. It usually means adding a resistor to the blinker circuit, and is usually pretty easy, but I don't know if Lexus cars need them. I once placed an LED brakelight(7443) on the back, and it worked without adding anything, so I'm somewhat confident that a blinking LED would work without said resistor.

Good Luck.
Old 05-05-04, 02:49 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Blanco
They're all 12V. AFAIK ALL automotive lighting is 12V. The question is the socket and wattage. 1157 is a dual filament bulb. I don't believe the GS uses 1157s anywhere. On the GS front blinkers are 1156, rears are 7440. The 7440 uses 21W. Some aftermarket makers bump the wattage to 27W to maintain same brightness as stock because they're using colored glass (ie blue, red, superwhite, etc).

One thing I haven't checked for is if you'll need a load balancer for the blinker. It usually means adding a resistor to the blinker circuit, and is usually pretty easy, but I don't know if Lexus cars need them. I once placed an LED brakelight(7443) on the back, and it worked without adding anything, so I'm somewhat confident that a blinking LED would work without said resistor.

Good Luck.

i just bought a pair of LED 7440 on ebay...i will let u guys know how it turned out
thanks blanco for the answer! =)
Old 05-06-04, 08:21 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally posted by kyle3481
i just bought a pair of LED 7440 on ebay...i will let u guys know how it turned out
thanks blanco for the answer! =)
No problem. But if you get them installed I'd like to see some pics posted.
Old 05-11-04, 04:20 AM
dickyg
Rookie

Default Footwell bulb sugg

Has anyone tried to coat the small bulb under the footwell with a blue perminent felt pen or highlighter? I know I read that someone used paint and it came out greenish white. I am going to try it as soon as I can get a blue felt pen. I'lll post the results.
Old 05-13-04, 06:18 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

No problem. But if you get them installed I'd like to see some pics posted.
anyone has the LED bulb model # for the doom light ? where when you use remote to turn on your car the doom light will come on, how many bulbs are in there?
Old 05-14-04, 04:03 AM
dickyg
Rookie

I just finished coating the foot well bulbs with a blue perm marker and the results are great. The hardest part was getting the little buggers out.

I also completed the following:
Polarg M4's in the doors, night time running lights , license plate lights, rear inter. lights
Polarg M2's reverse lights 100% better looking than stock, I also put them in the rear turn signal to see what it would look like. The results were not that great so I pulled them out and will keep them as back up for when my rev. lights go.
Also Polarg M17&15 for the dome lights and Map lights Looks great. Now the inside of my car lights up white when you get in.

Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 04:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by dickyg
I just finished coating the foot well bulbs with a blue perm marker and the results are great. The hardest part was getting the little buggers out.

I also completed the following:
Polarg M4's in the doors, night time running lights , license plate lights, rear inter. lights
Polarg M2's reverse lights 100% better looking than stock, I also put them in the rear turn signal to see what it would look like. The results were not that great so I pulled them out and will keep them as back up for when my rev. lights go.
Also Polarg M17&15 for the dome lights and Map lights Looks great. Now the inside of my car lights up white when you get in.

Thanks
very nice! y eah, pulling the foot well bulbs out is a PITA
Old 05-21-04, 04:37 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

i have some leds im going to try there tonight and see how they look ..wish me luck

Last edited by RanGer498; 05-21-04 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-15-04, 01:40 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

M4 is the designation Polarg uses to identify their type 194 bulb. 194 is a universal size/type. I would assume most manufacturers designate their 194's by calling them 194's, but Polarg chose a different designation, no biggy.
Not to make this more confusing, but after looking at 2 different websites, they categorized the M4 as a "168" bulb. Is there a difference between a 168 vs a 194 bulb?
Old 09-19-04, 07:09 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

no
Old 10-20-04, 11:12 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
yeah that side is super dupa hard to change, so tight in space. i have a small hand and it's very tight for me already. get someone else? watch out, don't break the bulb
Twenty1/Rominl,

I had no problem taking out the OEM bulb, but putting the M4 bulb in is a PITA! I got it in, but I can't turn it! My hands are small too! I can't imagine a big dude doing it. Just did it last night. Passenger bulb took me less than 1 minute to change. Driver side took me over 15 minutes. I wasn't sure if it was securely back in place or not. Your hands don't have much leverage.

But thanks to this great thread, I'm glad I don't have yellow bulbs next to my HIDs now.
Old 10-20-04, 12:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Cadd
Twenty1/Rominl,

I had no problem taking out the OEM bulb, but putting the M4 bulb in is a PITA! I got it in, but I can't turn it! My hands are small too! I can't imagine a big dude doing it. Just did it last night. Passenger bulb took me less than 1 minute to change. Driver side took me over 15 minutes. I wasn't sure if it was securely back in place or not. Your hands don't have much leverage.

But thanks to this great thread, I'm glad I don't have yellow bulbs next to my HIDs now.
yup, i remember the firsrt time i did it i spent a lot of time putting it in too. do it couple more times, you will get a hang of it. once you start to know the angle and the locations it's all good
Old 10-22-04, 07:34 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Cadd
Twenty1/Rominl,

Looks sweet, doesn't it?!?!? Just treat it like a lady and it'll go in every time
Old 01-08-05, 07:03 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

So does anyone have pictures of the results inside there car?
Old 01-23-05, 05:28 PM
fasted1953
Driver

Don't have pictures because my photography is not nearly as good as my wrench turning. But I did get a package with some ebay Polarg, and spent a few hours upgrading bulbs. I had already done the drl's and the parking lights, and it was time to tackle the interior lights. Amazing difference. You don't realize exactly how dim and yellow the stock bulbs are until you start swapping for the Polarg's.

I was also impressed at how well my 99GS4 is put together, and how easy it is to work on. Rear map lights were tricky until I realized that I had to unscrew the phillips head screw hidden under the coat hook, and take out the bulb socket from the back of the fixture. I also found out that the owners manual was wrong on the bulb in the rear map lights. The manual says its a 3 watt wedge bulb, but the one I removed was a 5 watt, so the Polarg M4 was a perfect swap.

Everything else in the interior was pretty straightforward. Still have to tackle the ignition and other #74 bulbs.

Also swapped the reverse bulbs and the trunk light. Both were great upgrades. the M2 Polarg's are higher wattage bulbs, but the reverse lights aren't on all that often only. The trunk light is actually bright enough to be of some use now. More bulbs and led's coming in the next few days. Can't wait.

Quick Reply: 98+ GS lighting information