Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

SUV who?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-03, 12:24 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV who?

I remember reading about tinted mirrors because of large SUV's blinding everyone. Well I decided to fight this battle a little differently, haha, the tints on the mirrors still look nice though!
Attached Thumbnails SUV who?-lite-em-up.jpg  
Old 01-20-03, 12:50 PM
Bentley1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you've got a 92-94 SC. Both of your corner lights look like they have been converted to driving lights. Was this difficult to do?
Old 01-20-03, 02:30 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Bentley1
It looks like you've got a 92-94 SC. Both of your corner lights look like they have been converted to driving lights. Was this difficult to do?
don't forget his high beams
Old 01-20-03, 10:52 PM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

wasn't hard at all, here's what I did...
First I cut one of the wires from each headlight, and attached two wires to this loose end. One to reconnect the headlights, and one to run down to the 'fog lights.' I believe it was the negative line, but it really doesn't matter. Anyway, lets say it was negative, so I also cut the negative coming out from each of the two 'fog lights.' Then, using the extra wire I attached back at the headlights I stretched this down to the loose end of the negative terminal on the 'foglight.' Of coarse, I stuck a fuse inbetween each connection just to be safe, and insulated the loose wire I cut that was originally going to the 'foglights.' And bingo, fog lights. Of coarse, you can also attach a switch if you wanted to, but I've already got a switch for the blue parking lights and the neon underneath, so I figured I'd just have them turn on with the headlights. The whole process took about 2, 2 1/2 hours. Not bad considering I've never done anything like that before. I've ordered some LED's for the fog's, so hopefully it'll look nice, I'll get pics up when I get them.

Last edited by sxylxy; 01-20-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 01:05 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

you are putting A LOT of current through your low beams. hope nothing melts
Old 01-21-03, 01:25 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I agree Jmai,

That is going to damage your low beam wires. I would consider installing a few relays if you want to avoid costly repairs.

MW
Old 01-21-03, 02:06 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forget how much wattage the cornering lights are, but regardless you are putting more load on your alternator. It might not be of substantial wattage, but still, in principle it is overloading the circuit. Not only that, but from your description, it sounds like you built an unsafe circuit by splicing off the headlight and splicing into the cornering light. Anyway, I highly recommend you redo this modification the proper way with t-taps, automotive relays, and at least three inline fuses. I posted detailed instructions on how to do this in the forums and on my website: http://www.intellexual.net/faqframes.html

Driving around with your high beams on is dangerous and rude too. If you want increased brightness, buy HIDs. Don't try to compete with SUVs to see who can have the most annoying lighting on the road.
Old 01-21-03, 08:35 AM
sxylxy
Lead Lap

LOL, no, I'm not driving around with the high's on, that was just for the pic. Anyway, I put led's in which take about 18 watts of power combined, when stock each bulb was 21 I believe so it's really not that much. To top it all off as far as the alternator goes, I switched all my tail lights to lower wattage LED's, and my parking lights I only use when I'm not moving as the blue LED's are illigal here in CT (stupid laws). HID's are on their way, I'm going with the 5500 aqua white from Catz, but how come everybody seems to dissagree with my splice technique? The cornering lights were originally hooked up to the headlights through the blinker circut if you look in the wiring diagram of the repair manual, I simply bypassed this and went directly to the headlight and I did infact put a fuse into each connection... hmm.... I'll see what I can do, thanks everyone

Last edited by sxylxy; 01-21-03 at 08:58 AM.