Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Adjusting Headlights on RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 02:18 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Adjusting Headlights on RX

I just installed HIDs on my RX. Damn, they're bright. But the lights are aimed too high and I need to adjust them down. Nothing on adjusting the RX searching the site. Anybody have schematics on the RX or know how to adjust these lights?
Old 01-27-03, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...st/adjust.html

this is for gs, but you should find something similar for rx
Old 01-27-03, 06:28 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hey Henry-

Not quite the same. Actually I bought the HID for my GS, but switched instead to the RX since it's my daily driver. I already have the SilverStars on the GS which is pretty good. Now I don't want to blind other drivers, especially since the aim is already a bit higher than my GS.

The RX doesn't have a bolt or screw that is obvious as the GS. I was messing with a bolt way down near the bottom, but it wasn't changing the height of the beam.

Any other ideas?

Art
Old 01-27-03, 06:51 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arty, check this one out: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=headlight
Old 01-27-03, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, the type of bolt LexRX pointed out is the one to adjust the headlight
Old 01-27-03, 09:40 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

LexRx and Henry-

Thanks for the link. I thought that might be the adjusting nut, but since it had the locking washer (crown), I didn't want to break anything or chew up the plastic underneath. I was wasting my time with a bolt all the way below the light assembly (8mm), backing it out, but it wasn't doing much. I spent more time trying to figure out how to adjust the lights compared to the 1 hour or so installing the HIDs.

LexRX, so how do you like your HIDs? I got the McCullough from Steve. Pretty bright, although I have to say, the SilverStars I have on my GS is close in color, although not as bright. $50 for the Silverstars vs. $500 for HIDs. Hummm...... I think I'll stay with the SilverStars on the GS for now.

Art
Old 01-27-03, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha no problem man, anything to help. just use a small socket wrench and you will be able to adjust the height easily. you won't strip anything
Old 01-27-03, 11:47 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arty, I love the HID's, nothing not to like. After having them I would never go back to halogen. The amount of bright white light makes night driving a pleasure. The fact that is uses 35watts vs. 55 and lasts much longer than a halogen is also a plus. It's worth the money to me.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-28-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-28-03, 12:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LexRX
Arty, I love the HID's, nothing not to like. After having them I would never go back to halogen. The amount of brigh white light makes night driving a pleasure. The fact that is uses 35watts vs. 55 and lasts much longer than a halogen is also a plus. It's worth the money to me.
yeah, same here, no more cars without hid for me
Old 01-28-03, 12:58 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I just adjusted the lights. You guys were right on. I had to crank it about 2 and 1/2 times out. I got flashed a couple of times coming home before I could adjust them, not bad considering how high they were. I was kinda of tense driving home tonight. Now I feel much better driving with these HIDs adjusted.

I noticed something odd about these HIDs. I know that the lights changes from blue to white as they ignite and warm up. However, the HIDs seems like they'shake and vibrate and then stabilize after about a minute. Is this normal??

Art
Old 01-28-03, 01:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Arty101
I just adjusted the lights. You guys were right on. I had to crank it about 2 and 1/2 times out. I got flashed a couple of times coming home before I could adjust them, not bad considering how high they were. I was kinda of tense driving home tonight. Now I feel much better driving with these HIDs adjusted.

I noticed something odd about these HIDs. I know that the lights changes from blue to white as they ignite and warm up. However, the HIDs seems like they'shake and vibrate and then stabilize after about a minute. Is this normal??

Art

umm..... no.... i don't have that with my hid..... have you tried looking from the fontr to see if it's vibrating or just flashing? if it's flashing maybe you need a fuse with larger current
Old 01-28-03, 03:25 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hi Henry-

Its more like flickering, like a candle. It doesn't flash, but shakes or flickers. Perhaps its the fuse size. The RX has only a 15 amp fuse for each headlight, while the Mc Cullough instruction says to use 20 amps, for the initial ignition of the arc; nominal is 4 amps.

If it is the fuse size, I'm not comfortable using a larger fuse. I always rememeber being told not to put a larger fuse in place of a smaller original fuse.

Art
Old 01-28-03, 04:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hi Henry-

Its more like flickering, like a candle. It doesn't flash, but shakes or flickers. Perhaps its the fuse size. The RX has only a 15 amp fuse for each headlight, while the Mc Cullough instruction says to use 20 amps, for the initial ignition of the arc; nominal is 4 amps.

If it is the fuse size, I'm not comfortable using a larger fuse. I always rememeber being told not to put a larger fuse in place of a smaller original fuse.

Art
umm...... i don't know. you had a lower fuse coz' of the prev bulbs right, but now you have a different system so i think it's ok. i think the wires will be able to handle the extra amp.

my concern is the flickering. in general it's not a good idea to turn on and off the hid too fast, it will shorten its life. the flickering you have now is just like on and off a few times. imho i probably won't want that to happen
Old 01-28-03, 08:14 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Hey Henry-

Not good to hear. The lights flicker or 'buzz' but then settles down after they're warmed up. Your HIDs doesn't flicker or buzz even a little bit when you turn them on?

I'm going to pm Steve since I got them from his shop. Thanks for your help.

Art
Old 01-28-03, 08:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hey Henry-

Not good to hear. The lights flicker or 'buzz' but then settles down after they're warmed up. Your HIDs doesn't flicker or buzz even a little bit when you turn them on?

I'm going to pm Steve since I got them from his shop. Thanks for your help.

Art
nop it doesn't flicker at all. turn boom turn purple, then blue, then white. just like stock hid

Quick Reply: Adjusting Headlights on RX