D2S in GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 09:43 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2S in GS

Hello,
I have factory HID and HID fogs, there is still not enogh light for me. 98 HID suck big time compare to newer lexuses. I'm thinking of adapting D2s bulbs for my HIDs. If you use D2s please share your expirience. How does the light footprint changes, any sideaffects. I need more lumens!!!
I'm not really conserned about them being too bright as there are so many racers with purple kits in California

Alternative #2
How do Osrams perform compare to Philips?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-30-03, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: D2S in GS

Originally posted by GS300.ru
Hello,
I have factory HID and HID fogs, there is still not enogh light for me. 98 HID suck big time compare to newer lexuses. I'm thinking of adapting D2s bulbs for my HIDs. If you use D2s please share your expirience. How does the light footprint changes, any sideaffects. I need more lumens!!!
I'm not really conserned about them being too bright as there are so many racers with purple kits in California

Alternative #2
How do Osrams perform compare to Philips?

Thanks for your help
1) getting d2s will give you couple more lumens, but don't expect a big change. get 6000k otherwise it's a funny look for your car now.
2) osram is very on par with philips, good stuff. but don't expect it to be "brighter" as well
Old 02-01-03, 09:26 PM
girvan
Rookie

It’s a myth that the D2S bulbs are brighter than the D2R’s. They are identical. It is the luminance flux (brightness x solid angle) that is larger in the DS2 since they don’t have black shielding on the glass envelop cutting off light in unwanted directions. It is more precise to do the same shielding function in the projector optics that they are designed to be used with. The end result is a similar loss. The shielding is to help define the sharp low beam cutoff.

Putting a DS2 lamp in place of a D2R will put exactly the same light on the road. All of the extra lumens from the lack of black shielding will go to putting stray light into the eyes of oncoming traffic and also reflect more airborne glare back into your eyes. Perhaps that’s what you want.

It’s also a myth that HID lamps last forever. They are rated to have lost 25% of their initial brightness after 1500 hours under controlled conditions so new bulbs may help noticeably.
Old 02-03-03, 07:54 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Talking

Hello!
Thanks for your help you were absolutely right

I made an experiment by removing paint from my old bulb
Results:
1. Unnoticeble improvment in brightness on the road
2. The top part of the reflector lights like hell
3. Much brighter light in the lamp not on the road

Looks ricy, I'm back to my D2R
No improvment, don't waste your time

Note: The light of D2r looks really elegant in the lamp after all, D2s is going to put you on the sdame line with HID kits

:eek:
Old 02-03-03, 08:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

yup, i have hid kit (6000k) and it uses d2s bulbs. i do get more "upstream" light patterns". that's why i intensioanlly aimed my headlight down a bit more than usualy to counter measure that
Old 03-13-03, 06:12 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Putting a DS2 lamp in place of a D2R will put exactly the same light on the road. All of the extra lumens from the lack of black shielding will go to putting stray light into the eyes of oncoming traffic and also reflect more airborne glare back into your eyes. Perhaps that’s what you want.

DS2 is brighter. Philips rates the D2S bulb as having a greater lumen output than the D2R. The manufacturer spec is 3200 lumens for D2S. D2R is lower...I think somewhere around 2800 lumens. The specs are listed on thier own web site.
Old 03-14-03, 06:06 PM
girvan
Rookie

Originally posted by 99SHlude

DS2 is brighter. Philips rates the D2S bulb as having a greater lumen output than the D2R. The manufacturer spec is 3200 lumens for D2S. D2R is lower...I think somewhere around 2800 lumens. The specs are listed on thier own web site.
Go study physics or optics before you define brightness. Yes there are more lumens as the light is emitted over a larger solid angle. It's just that it is useless (even dangerous) light in all the wrong places. Brightness does NOT equal lumens.

You might ask PIAA how their bulbs can be legal (i.e., no more Lumens than 15% above standard spec) yet are 80% "brighter". They are not lying outright, just hoodwinking you with loose terminology (differently from above).

(When I changed the volume **** on my amp from one with 10 markings to one with 11 the amp must be louder because 11 is bigger than 10?)
Old 03-15-03, 09:49 AM
99SHlude
Rookie

Ok, I got that info from the Philips Lighting Faq. Those guys know what they are doing...they've been installing HID kits for years now, started the trend of HID projector retrofits, blah blah blah...they don't manufacture anything, they have nothing to gain by spreading lies and everything to lose.

I find it funny to see that the leaders in HID retrofit kits only offer D2S bulbs for the same reason. Conincidence? I think not.

some of those reputable and well known merchants are:

HIDs4less.com
Suvlights.com
Autolamps.com (Owner worked for Philips according to their site)
HIDkits.com

There's a pattern developing here and I doubt they are using D2S bulbs to cut costs.

Anyways, that is the info I received from the lighting experts. I don't claim to be one. I simply stated that D2S bulbs are brighter than their D2R counterparts. How do I know this? Well, because PHILIPS says so on their own site. They test the bulbs, they make them....they would know if the D2S bulb emits more lumens than a D2R. That little glare strip on a D2R bulb isn't going to do anything in a halogen headlight. Ask countless people who have had D2R bulbs only to file away that metal striping to get more light. The bottom line is that you will not get any benefit from that teeny metal strip unless the optics were designed specifically for a D2R bulb. Any halogen headlamp is NOT designed for HID, thus the use of D2S bulbs for these aftermarket HID applications. An underside SHIELDING is needed for H4 applications,however, because the H4 bulb contains both a low and high beam filament. In this case, if you do not have a shield on the underside (the puny D2R strip alone is virtually useless in this regard...ask hundreds of retrofitters with no H4 glare shield) then the light will reach into the high beam portion of the lamp and you will have intense glare.

If you can find me ONE source where a person has found LESS glare with a D2R bulb in place of a D2R version in an AFTERMARKET HID application I will take everything back. In the meantime, I will trust the opinion of the individuals who have reasearched HID kits for years and have compiled the extensive data on a constantly updating FAQ list.

Last edited by 99SHlude; 03-15-03 at 09:51 AM.