Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Polarg bulbs rule...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 11:34 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking duh!

i'm an idiot! anyway too much dumb stuff on my mind, so i prob went with m4's and i need m6's correct...shew
Old 02-09-03, 11:37 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: hey bit

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. Day time lights only come on when it's day time . The day time lights are just the high beams running at partial power.
Um, not on my car - they are these exact lights - so they are on all the time. I just ordered the M4s - that should fix my problem.
Old 02-09-03, 11:41 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default DRL

how can you not used them too much and he says don't use them on the daytime remember they are your DRL daylight running lights.
Old 02-09-03, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

They changed the GS for '99 or '00 I think - it's different than the '98s. On the '98s I think it either doesn't have DRLs or uses the parking light whereas on the '00 I have, the high beam at half power is the DRL and the parking light only comes on with the HIDs or by themselves with the first turn of the light control stick.
Old 02-09-03, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: hey bit

Originally posted by fireballs gs400
those look awesome, i am curious if you have your day time lamps connected? Would that matter as far as brightness, i went and bought some different wedge bulbs(raybrig) and mine are nowhere near that bright, i just love the look of yours...sheeezzz help!
no, they are different things. DRL is the high beam at 50%
Old 02-09-03, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Blacked out?? You mean they burn out or black the housing or?
go ask synergy. after using it for a while, he noticed that the bulb color changed a bit, and the bottom of the bulb turned black or something. that's the reason why i didn't get the m6 and stayed with m4
Old 02-09-03, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: hey bit

Originally posted by doug_999
Um, not on my car - they are these exact lights - so they are on all the time. I just ordered the M4s - that should fix my problem.
nonono, you have a GS right? it can't be. in the high beam housing there are two bulb, one in the center, that's the high beam and if you have DRL that's the bulb running at 50% power durnig the day. at the bottom of the housing there is a VERY small wedge bulb, that's the m4 we talking about
Old 02-09-03, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

They changed the GS for '99 or '00 I think - it's different than the '98s. On the '98s I think it either doesn't have DRLs or uses the parking light whereas on the '00 I have, the high beam at half power is the DRL and the parking light only comes on with the HIDs or by themselves with the first turn of the light control stick.
ok, here's the deal. all GS from 98 to 03 have the EXACT same housing. but 98 does NOT have DRL, and that's the ONLY year it doesn't have DRL. since 99 they put in DRL.

during the day the high beam runs at 50% power as DRL. during night time your headlight is on and the little wedge bulbs start working
Old 02-09-03, 12:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: hey bit

Originally posted by rominl
nonono, you have a GS right? it can't be. in the high beam housing there are two bulb, one in the center, that's the high beam and if you have DRL that's the bulb running at 50% power durnig the day. at the bottom of the housing there is a VERY small wedge bulb, that's the m4 we talking about
Well I guess I would have figured that out when I went to install my M4s! Doh!

Thanks for the tip.

Doug
Old 02-09-03, 01:22 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Bit, I'm surprised you just did that mod now. Your car is all decked out, yet you waited years on the easiest and cheapest mod there is. I guess that means you have nothing left to do to your car!

The wedge light was the first mod I made to my car, well over a year and a half ago. No problems with any wiring burning out, and the lights are still looking great.
Old 02-09-03, 05:09 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Polarg bulbs rule...

I finally replaced the front parking bulbs (come on with HIDs) with Polarg M6 bulbs and replaced the side marker bulbs with M4s - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :eek:

MANY MANY THANKS to Dex for the instructions he has on his web site.
You're very welcome. Welsome to the not-so-dark-side.

Thanks. Someone in another thread mentioned concern about putting an 18W bulb (M6) in the parking bulbs which are apparently 5W - specifically a tech who said it may burn out the wiring. What do you think?
Nahhhh. Both Dave & I have had ZERO problems, and we've been runing them for close to 1.5 years.

The key, as I've said before, is wearing gloves; not gettig any oils on the bulbs during the install.

HTH
Old 02-09-03, 05:29 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Paul,
Don't worry about the M6's. I have my lights set to on all the time on my car and I have put on about 7K miles with my M6's on during that time. Not a single problem and no darkening. I would assume the darkness is from someone touching the bulb. I installed my bulbs wearing surgical gloves and no problems. Enjoy, they look a lot better than the stock bulbs.
Old 02-09-03, 05:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

rominl - thanks for clearing up the diffs on model years... I'll go write this on my blackboard a 100 times now so I don't forget...

The only diff is the '98 didn't have DRLs.
The only...

Dex, GS430 - thanks for the reassurance. I did use latex 'household' gloves :eek:, hopefully they're ok. I did drop one of the bulbs in the car near the housing , but I picked it out, cleaned it with a tissue, and then installed it. Oh well, if it burns out no biggie, if I could install it at all it's not that hard!

theanimala - thanks Since I don't drive at night much lights weren't much of a priority, but I'm glad I finally got around to it. Although when I hang with the local Lexus guys we all drive with all our lights on so now I'll look good.
Old 02-09-03, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Default Yup

Us 98 owners don't have DRLs. I have to turn my dims on to project the DRL look (not as intense) and of course, this turns on my rear lights.

I will order M6s and a set of M4s Monday, and take pics of M4s and M6s together, not sure if anyone has done this yet.
Old 02-10-03, 09:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

rominl - thanks for clearing up the diffs on model years... I'll go write this on my blackboard a 100 times now so I don't forget...

The only...

Dex, GS430 - thanks for the reassurance. I did use latex 'household' gloves :eek:, hopefully they're ok. I did drop one of the bulbs in the car near the housing , but I picked it out, cleaned it with a tissue, and then installed it. Oh well, if it burns out no biggie, if I could install it at all it's not that hard!

theanimala - thanks Since I don't drive at night much lights weren't much of a priority, but I'm glad I finally got around to it. Although when I hang with the local Lexus guys we all drive with all our lights on so now I'll look good.
hehe, no problem it took me a while to figure out all the DRL too. and when you finish copying that thing for 100 times, send me a copy to proveread, haha.... j/k

Quick Reply: Polarg bulbs rule...