Polarg bulbs rule...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 09:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Yup

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Us 98 owners don't have DRLs. I have to turn my dims on to project the DRL look (not as intense) and of course, this turns on my rear lights.

I will order M6s and a set of M4s Monday, and take pics of M4s and M6s together, not sure if anyone has done this yet.
that won't hurt the only problem is that pics is hard to do justice, it's always NOT what you see in person. so maybe you can post a little writeup on the difference too?
Old 02-10-03, 02:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Re: Re: Yup

Originally posted by rominl
that won't hurt the only problem is that pics is hard to do justice, it's always NOT what you see in person. so maybe you can post a little writeup on the difference too?
My pics really came close to what I saw. Must be my great camera, hehe
Old 02-10-03, 10:47 PM
lexess
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: bulbs

Originally posted by angelslex
Don't get me wrong man they look great but i just a little concern with the wiring nay info guys let me know please that i put them back still have them just have to replace them to h194 i think their call but they suck I love the m6 better.
I am not an engineer, but I thought the idea of the M6 and others like it is that although they put out a brighter light, they do not draw any more current than stock bulbs. If no more current is being drawn, there is no extra strain on wires, am I right?

I just replaced the stock bulbs with the M6's for the parking lights (I guess some refer to them as DRL's but at least on my 1998 GS 400 with HID, they are called parking lights). Great look. Not a perfect match for HID, but close and surely closer than that yellow muck the stock bulbs put out.

I got my Poalrg M6's for $5.95 each, plus $5.00 S & H at CNY Concepts online. They were out of stock so he sent them 2 day UPS at no extra charge for the delay.
Old 02-11-03, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: bulbs

Originally posted by lexess
I just replaced the stock bulbs with the M6's for the parking lights (I guess some refer to them as DRL's but at least on my 1998 GS 400 with HID, they are called parking lights). Great look. Not a perfect match for HID, but close and surely closer than that yellow muck the stock bulbs put out.
DRLs or Daytime Running Lights are NOT the parking lights, they're actually the high beam bulb (the bulb ABOVE the parking bulb in the same housing) running at lower output.
Old 02-11-03, 09:11 AM
lexess
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: bulbs

Originally posted by bitkahuna
DRLs or Daytime Running Lights are NOT the parking lights, they're actually the high beam bulb (the bulb ABOVE the parking bulb in the same housing) running at lower output.
I have seen that stated on this forum and it confuses me.

The housing behind the round lens holds two bulbs. The one in the middle of the housing is the high beam bulb. 9005 HB. The one toward the bottom is what the Lexus manual calls a parking light. I replaced that bulb with the Polarg M6.

The manual says nothing about a running light, and as far as I can tell, when the high beams are not on, the only light that operates from the round lens is the "parking light".

At what setting on the on the steering column stick does the high beam bulb run at lower output? I don't know if it matters but I have a 1998 GS 400 w/HID.
Old 02-11-03, 09:42 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: bulbs

At what setting on the on the steering column stick does the high beam bulb run at lower output? I don't know if it matters but I have a 1998 GS 400 w/HID.
For a 98, it doesn't. The Highs(9005s) are only on when you pull you Light Stalk towards you to activate the Highs(9005s)

The M6s, will come on with one turn of the Light Stalk, which activates your Parking LIghts. The M6s will stay on with one more turn forward when turing on the headlights(9006s/HIDs).

HTH
Old 02-11-03, 09:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: bulbs

The housing behind the round lens holds two bulbs. The one in the middle of the housing is the high beam bulb. 9005 HB. The one toward the bottom is what the Lexus manual calls a parking light. I replaced that bulb with the Polarg M6.
All correct.

The manual says nothing about a running light, and as far as I can tell, when the high beams are not on, the only light that operates from the round lens is the "parking light".
That's because you have a '98 which doesn't do the DRL trick with the high beam at lower output.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-11-03, 10:19 AM
lexess
Driver School Candidate

Wink Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bulbs

Originally posted by bitkahuna
All correct.

That's because you have a '98 which doesn't do the DRL trick with the high beam at lower output.

Hope that helps.
Yes sir it does. Thank you much.

I will pretend like my parking lights are DRL's.
Old 02-11-03, 02:36 PM
LexFather

Did I mention 98s had some stupid option packages as well. Sorry, had to add that to my non HID, no NAV, no heated seat GS 400
Old 02-11-03, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Did I mention 98s had some stupid option packages as well. Sorry, had to add that to my non HID, no NAV, no heated seat GS 400
same here man, my 98 gs4 was just as plain. at least it got the cd changer, haha
Old 02-11-03, 02:56 PM
lexess
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Oh I got the whole package- gold, HID, upgraded stereo, oversized wheels, spoiler, metal flake paint, ... and the nice thing is, someone else paid for it because I bought mine used.

Do I get kicked out of the Club now that I admitted that?