Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Wedge bulb replacement on GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03 | 05:52 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Default Wedge bulb replacement on GS

I seem to remember someone posting a DIY on how to replace the wedge bulbs on the GS, but could not find it. Anyone have any info they can give me? One of them went out.

I am pretty sure I'm going to get the Polarg M4 as a replacement, as it seems to be the best for use with HID.
Old 02-20-03 | 06:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

You're asking about the wedge bulbs for the daytime running lights right? You might wanna try a Polarg M6 bulb instead of the M4 (M4 is a little too dim for most people). Here's a couple links that might help:
https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...rg/polarg.html
https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...s/m6bulbs.html
Old 02-24-03 | 07:23 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

have you considered using LEDs for the wedge bulbs?? That's what I did, and I love it. I got the dual white/white LEDs from PIAA and they are nice and bright with a purplish color. Got them at autodynamic.com

Plus if you use LEDs you will most likely NEVER have to replace them, since they don't burn out like conventional bulbs.
Old 02-25-03 | 12:52 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

ebruceii:

How much did a pair of those LEDs cost you? Got any night pics of them ON? Do you have HIDs? How do they match with your HIDs?

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont they sell them in other colors too?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-03 | 03:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Wedge bulb replacement on GS

Originally posted by Alewifebp
I seem to remember someone posting a DIY on how to replace the wedge bulbs on the GS, but could not find it. Anyone have any info they can give me? One of them went out.

I am pretty sure I'm going to get the Polarg M4 as a replacement, as it seems to be the best for use with HID.
Here ya go! Do the M6s. You'll wish you did if you don't.

http://www.digitalsimple.com/M6%20Page.htm
Old 02-25-03 | 05:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BR1AN
You're asking about the wedge bulbs for the daytime running lights right? You might wanna try a Polarg M6 bulb instead of the M4 (M4 is a little too dim for most people). Here's a couple links that might help: ...[/URL]
BR1AN - the daytime running lights are the HIGH BEAM bulbs running at lower power. The wedge bulbs are the PARKING LIGHTS which are in the same housing as the high beams.
Old 02-25-03 | 06:05 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PHML
ebruceii:

How much did a pair of those LEDs cost you? Got any night pics of them ON? Do you have HIDs? How do they match with your HIDs?

Correct me if Im wrong, but dont they sell them in other colors too?

Thanks!
I think I paid around $20.00 for the pair. Sorry, I don't have any pics of these yet. I don't have HID's. Right now I have some cheap Eurolite bulbs in my lows and fogs. The LEDs appear purple due to the optic properties of the light assembly itself. They would prob be a good match to stock HID, though.
Old 02-27-03 | 11:16 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Thanks for the reply.....a few more questions.

Do you have the single LED wedge bulb or the 4 LED wedge bulb?

Was it difficult (like M6) to install? Did you have to cut the wedge opening to get it in?
Old 02-27-03 | 11:26 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the reply.....a few more questions.

Do you have the single LED wedge bulb or the 4 LED wedge bulb?

Was it difficult (like M6) to install? Did you have to cut the wedge opening to get it in?
No problem. Actually I had the single-LED "bulbs" in my wedges before. They worked fine, but weren't bright enough for me. The PIAA bulbs that I put in are dual-bulb setup, meaning two LEDs per bulb. Much better light output, obviously. The PIAAs were a little harder to get in due to their overall length. No cutting was involved, just alittle extra care and patience. The driver's side is a tighter squeeze to get in, but after about 5 or 6 tries it worked. Just take your time and it's no sweat.

Oh, and the site I got them from was xtremewhite.com

Last edited by ebruce2; 02-27-03 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-27-03 | 06:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

ebruceii:

Thanks again for the info.

Any idea what kind of lumens these LEDs are pushing out? Will the 4 LED bulb be too bright?

Btw... is the white really "white"? Any hint of blue at all? The blue LEDs are really blue.

PHML
Old 03-03-03 | 01:14 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

ebruceii:

Thanks again for the info.

Any idea what kind of lumens these LEDs are pushing out? Will the 4 LED bulb be too bright?

Btw... is the white really "white"? Any hint of blue at all? The blue LEDs are really blue.

PHML
No idea on lumens...sorry. Since they are just LED, I don't think a 4 LED bulb would be "too bright" per se. My whites end up looking purple just because of the reflective properties of the headlight housing. Stay away from the the actual blue LEDs unless you want all kinds of trouble from "the man":thumbdown
Old 03-06-03 | 09:43 AM
duster
Pit Crew

Default Blue/White LED

They also have an LED that is combination blue/white. It ends up being quite blue.
Old 03-14-03 | 04:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

ebruceii / duster -

Got any pics to share? I wanna see how them LED wedge bulbs look.

Pete
Old 03-29-03 | 11:35 PM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by ebruceii
No problem. Actually I had the single-LED "bulbs" in my wedges before. They worked fine, but weren't bright enough for me. The PIAA bulbs that I put in are dual-bulb setup, meaning two LEDs per bulb. Much better light output, obviously. The PIAAs were a little harder to get in due to their overall length. No cutting was involved, just alittle extra care and patience. The driver's side is a tighter squeeze to get in, but after about 5 or 6 tries it worked. Just take your time and it's no sweat.

i'm assuming the gs has the same wattage as the sc which is 5v..but aren't those piaa dual leds 12v? they're suppose to replace all 168 wedge bulbs..which i would assume are 5v so why would it be 12v? just wondering if they are safe... also can't find them on the piaa's website (i wonder why they wouldn't list them?).
Old 03-31-03 | 10:06 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by ebruceii

If you want some ***** OUT LEDS try these, but be prepared to spend some BUCK$$6 LED 194s

Min order is 10 items!!! But figure the GS uses 12 of 'em on the car.

Quick Reply: Wedge bulb replacement on GS