Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Replacing bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-03, 04:39 PM
snboarder8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing bulbs

hello, this is my first time writing on this website. i'm glad i found a forum to talk about my lexus. i have a low-beam light bulb that's out, but i don't want to go to the dealer and spend over $80 just to have it replaced when i can buy a bulb at the store for a few bucks. the only problem is, i have no clue how to replace the bulb. i looked in the manual and it doesn't explain anything, just says, "talk your car to the dealer to replace bulbs" anyway, i have a 1992 es 300. can someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how to replace the bulbs for the headlamps? i was also considering putting PIAA superwhites in instead of the regular halogen. thank you so much!
Old 02-23-03, 04:49 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

lets see if I can help. While the hood is open looking down, if it's the drivers/passenger side the low beam is closest to the fender. Basically you reach down after you located the proper light to be replaced and unplug the harness from the bulb first. You have to squeeze the clip and pull it off. Then grab the base of the bulb and turn to the left. It's hard at first but will give way. Then slide it out. When you put the new one in, take care not to touch the glass, if you do, use a soft cloth to remove oil,/dirt, whatever. Slide this bulb in and try not to scratch the glass when putting it back in. line it up so it fits in the grooves and turn to the right to secure it in place. then slide the harness back on the bulb. Your done. Pretty easy really. Turn on your lights to make sure its good. And off you go into the night. Hope this helps and was descriptive enough.
Old 02-23-03, 04:53 PM
snboarder8
Driver

thank you so much! heh, that's it, wow, and to think they charge $80 for that! i read in the repair manual for a toyota camry and they said u had to disconnect something on the battery, this isn't true? plus, do i have to worry about any kind of electrical shock? any precautions i should take?
Old 02-23-03, 04:58 PM
Baby Lex
Driver

Talking

no no no....nothing like that. like i said, it's simple. you wont get shocked (i hope not lol) and you dont have to disconnect the battery. And if you can't replace it yourself, then maybe you live close by and I'll show you so you wont go to the dealer for a bulb.. People are dumb if they go to the dealer to change bulbs. Honestly. I think a monkey can do it! The only time I'd go to the dealer is for all other stuff thats not consumer replaceable.
Old 02-23-03, 05:45 PM
snboarder8
Driver

thanx again, i just wanted to make sure, lol. i went and checked it out and i found the lights, the only thing is the working space seems pretty tight. but i'll give it a try!
Old 02-23-03, 06:04 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime there is any kind of electical work or connection/disconnection of electrical equipment, a manual will instruct you to disconnect the battery(usually the negative) before you begin. It is to avoid any sparks that may be created. (you don't have to do this for a bulb replacement)

PIAAs are very sweet. I am running the Xtreme White Plus (HB3/9005) on my highs and the Xtreme White H3 fogs. They ain't cheap but they are very close to the HID color on my car.

A handful CL members will probably concur that Sylvania Silverstars are probably a better and brighter bulb for you buck, at least on the lows.

Welcome to the world of DIY and Club Lexus.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 02-23-03 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 06:33 PM
dmcmunn
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Sub-monkey

I found this did not work for me on my 02 ES 300. I even tried using a the square end of a 1/4" socket extension in the square slot between the poles of the bulb. Still did not budge when turning counter-clockwise. I guess this sub-monkey is going to have to fork $80 over to dealer to have a low-beam changed! What do they do at the factory weld them in ? $80 is definitely highway robbery when the OEM bulb is $17 at any AutoZone.
Old 05-16-04, 11:22 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

dmcmunn, the lows on the 02 ES300 (if not HID) are bulb type H7. This means they are not a screw type bulb. H7 bulbs have a spring clip that must be unhooked, then piveted back out of the way. When the clip is moved back it will release pressure on the bulb. The bulb can then be removed with you fingers....no twisting needed. There is a retaining ring on the bulb that keeps it oriented in the housing, thats why the socket extension wouldn't turn it.

Try it again and inspect it well before you unhook the clip so you will be able to hook it back up again when the new bulb is put in.

If you are talking the HIB bulb, then it may be a different story, as I have not had to replace mine yet.

steviej
Old 05-16-04, 12:13 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I reccomend silverstars over piaa.

Same thing for 1/2 the price and avalible in more local stores here.
Old 05-17-04, 09:25 PM
dmcmunn
Driver School Candidate

steviej,

Thanks very much for the reply. I do have the H7 bulb of the 55W variety.

After posting here, I also read about the clip on other boards, but again I can see no clip of any kind. There is a rubber boot which fits tightly between the bulb and the enclosure. There is no indication as to how to remove it. I have tried to pull it out, push it in, or turn it in some way but it too, will not move. My wife is taking it to a dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the help anyway. I do appreciate it.

I've never been stymied by a damned light bulb R/R until Lexus! It seems a bit rediculous to have purchase $300 worth of manuals to learn how to replace a light bulb...I can see the light bulb jokes now...How many Lexus owners does it take to change a low beam? None. Pay the dealer $80.

Thanks again,
_-~dmcmunn~-_

"Time exists so that everything doesn't happen all at once.
Space exists so it doesn't all happen to you!"
Old 05-18-04, 06:15 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

the rubber boot just pulls off. Just work it around the edge and it will eventually move off the housing. Then slide the boot down the wires to get it out of the way. When the boot is out of the way, the clip is exposed.

You can do it. It is worth $80 to try again.

steviej
Old 10-27-04, 01:45 PM
syjt
Driver School Candidate

is it possible to see a pictorial step by step on accessing the clip for the h7?
Old 10-27-04, 06:46 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by syjt
is it possible to see a pictorial step by step on accessing the clip for the h7?
I'm sure it is possible if you do a search for it either in this forum or on the Internet

I highly suggest that you try to follow the written instructions on accessing/replacing the H7 bulbs, as they are just as good enough as a "pictorial step-by-step". It's not that hard once you go through it the first time, and it will be so much easier after that.

Moving this to the Lighting forum.

Last edited by lexusk8; 10-27-04 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-27-04, 10:52 PM
syjt
Driver School Candidate

i have done many searches, its just that i can not locate the pin and i think my car is different for some reason... the way it's described is the boot get removed ( i did that) and there should be a pin that can get loose when you push on it, but mine looks like a black grommet that has no pins, but the thing is i met a guy tonight that said he'd help me change it, his dad owns a car shop, and he's really knowledgeable about cars, (luxury line), cuz i constantly mess with my corolla's lights, and i even have HID retrofit and halos and everything, that's why this es300 is distressing me so.... wow i wrote a lot....
Old 10-29-04, 12:26 PM
za3879
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bulb Replacement - Fog

Greetings. This site was recommended to me by a co worker. First time user, just joined today.
I look forward to learning from the many people on here.

I currently have a 98 LS400 and a 97 ES300. I'm trying to change the right side fog light bulb
on the ES. I'm used to just jumpin underneath my mustang and yankin out the bulb, etc and
was like 'damnit' when I peeked under the ES. Any easy methond of handling this than
the dealership? I see that I have to remove panels of sorts, etc. I'm looking for some pointers,
or easy work-arounds in this scenario.

Please advise. Thanks a milly.

Z.

Quick Reply: Replacing bulbs