Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

1995 ES fog light question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 01:34 PM
Texas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 ES fog light question

Can anyone point me to P/N and places where I can buy them? (either original or aftermarket)
One of the fog lights on my girlfriend's '95 ES300 needs replacing, and the dealer wanted $300 ea.

On edit: The headlights will need replacing too, since they're not really bright. Part numbers on these would be appreciated (dealer wants $600 ea. for these )

Thanks,
Tex

Last edited by Texas; 03-04-03 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 02:57 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

new headlights are $523, should not be 600, and foglights are $250, not 300. you are being overcharged. if you are willing to get things off ebay, you can do that. or if you want aftermarket round foglights, Amrit can hook you up with some really good ones that he modifies and sells for 150

brightness of the headlights might be the bulbs, either go to sylvania silverstar bulbs ($25 a piece), PIAA bulbs ($50 a piece), or HID conversions... ($300 - $600)

Last edited by EGainer; 03-04-03 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 03:03 PM
amrit50
Driver

ya i could get a pair of the hella projector fogs modified for the blue cutoff for $150 shipped, here is some more info:

INFO
Old 03-04-03, 04:21 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Texas
Can anyone point me to P/N and places where I can buy them? (either original or aftermarket)
One of the fog lights on my girlfriend's '95 ES300 needs replacing, and the dealer wanted $300 ea.
When you say "needs replacing", do you mean the fog light itself is busted, or its brightness is dying? If the case is the latter, then I would go ahead and purchase a set of H3 replacement bulbs (55W each) for the fog lights. I don't know the P/N of the fog light off the top of my head; mine was replaced after an accident more than a year ago, but the dealership never noted the fog light info on the receipt
Old 03-04-03, 04:34 PM
Texas
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lexusk8
When you say "needs replacing", do you mean the fog light itself is busted, or its brightness is dying? If the case is the latter, then I would go ahead and purchase a set of H3 replacement bulbs (55W each) for the fog lights. I don't know the P/N of the fog light off the top of my head; mine was replaced after an accident more than a year ago, but the dealership never noted the fog light info on the receipt
One of the fog lights has a hole in it (looks like a rock hit it) and it does not work.
The low beams on the othe hand, give out poor, yellow light, so I'm going to look at replacing the bulbs as recommended (I didn't know if they were a sealed unit, or if they had bulbs you can replace.

Thanks for all the replies.
Tex
Old 03-04-03, 05:17 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

The bulbs come out of the back, you don't even have to remove the headlight (it makes it easier to access them though)
Old 03-04-03, 09:54 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

What do the outside lenses of the low beams look like? If they're scratched, polishing the plastic will have a huge improvement on light that reaches the road. Also halogen bulbs undergo a process called lumen maintenance in which they gradually put out less and less light as the filament deteriorates. $15 worth of new bulbs could help things
Lastly, is there a possible electrical issue (esp. dying alternator), causing the lights to not get enough power?
I don't see how spending $650 on new headlight housings (nothing electrical) is going to help, unless there is a true crack in the housing, or the polycarbonate is scratched beyond any hope of polishing.

Last edited by squarehat; 03-04-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 05:09 AM
Texas
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by squarehat
What do the outside lenses of the low beams look like? If they're scratched, polishing the plastic will have a huge improvement on light that reaches the road. Also halogen bulbs undergo a process called lumen maintenance in which they gradually put out less and less light as the filament deteriorates. $15 worth of new bulbs could help things
Lastly, is there a possible electrical issue (esp. dying alternator), causing the lights to not get enough power?
I don't see how spending $650 on new headlight housings (nothing electrical) is going to help, unless there is a true crack in the housing, or the polycarbonate is scratched beyond any hope of polishing.
squarehat,
Thanks for the reply.
I think it's just the bulbs, since the high beams are good to go, and the outside lenses look OK.
We didn't take it to the dealer for the headlights, but for the speedo / RPM needles (one was out, and the other one flickers), which they covered under warranty.
BTW, they put her in a 2003 ES300 loaner, and boy, is that a nice ride

Thanks again,
Tex
Old 03-05-03, 11:39 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Texas
but for the speedo / RPM needles (one was out, and the other one flickers), which they covered under warranty.
She's lucky, that would have been about a $600 job if it wasn't covered. My speedo needle is half dead sometimes now, it's a nuisance but not worth $600 to me to have fixed. She got a whole new guage cluster, correct?

I agree with what's been said on the lights. Maybe check some of the junkyard search pages for a used fog light, should be significantly cheaper than the dealer.
Old 03-05-03, 11:43 AM
Texas
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Kyle Harty
She got a whole new guage cluster, correct?

They just told her they would replace them, but I'm not sure if it's the whole cluster. She's picking it up tonight, so I'll look at the paperwork to see what they've done.

Tex
Old 06-08-03, 03:15 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

hey i know this thread is a couple of months old, but i'm curious about something...texas you said your girlfriend's 95 ES was covered under warranty...I'm assuming of course that she has an extended warranty, is it possible for you to tell me how much this cost?
Old 06-08-03, 08:04 PM
Texas
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by SlashBecks
hey i know this thread is a couple of months old, but i'm curious about something...texas you said your girlfriend's 95 ES was covered under warranty...I'm assuming of course that she has an extended warranty, is it possible for you to tell me how much this cost?
SB,
Correct,
She has an extended warranty, but I don't know off the top of my head how much it was.
I'll try to find out and get back with you.

Tex