Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

O-ring on 9006 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 06:18 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O-ring on 9006 help

Well, I ordered the 9006 6000K upgrade from Autolamps-online. Very cool place, and would hightly recommend them.

What happened is that the original mod (not done by me) of my headlights to turn them in to HID was done by a shop about 2-2.5 years ago. The way that they installed the bulbs in the socket was to take a standard D2S bulb, glue it to plastic piece with a hole in it, then glue the plastic piece to the back of the headlight housing. Always very unsatisified with the beam pattern. Well, one of the goes out on me, so I get the new bulbs.

When the shop did the mod, they removed the o-ring that allows for the 9006 base to click in to place. So, now I just have the hole in to the housing, with the three places for screws. I decided to get creative, and took the o-ring out of my fog, and tried to screw it in, but have had a lot of problems, as the o-ring doesn't seem to line up, and the screws don't seem to fit..

First, does everyone understand what I'm saying? And secondly, what are some ideas that you guys might have so that I can get this bulb in?

BTW, I tried it out by just placing the bulb in the socket, and was very pleased with the color, light, and beam pattern.
Old 03-05-03, 06:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha i guess i somewhat understand what you are trying to say. so when you look at the housing, you see the black socket, with 3 holes in it, right? i believe you are missing the metal piece? if you look at your fog housing, you should see the metal piece at the back that's hold on to the housing using the 3 screws. you can try to put the hid bulb in the fog housing and you will know what i am talking about. you put the bulb in, and twist to tighten it up. is that what you are missing?
Old 03-06-03, 06:58 AM
Alewifebp
Driver

After looking at the fog light, it looks like I actually may be missing both the metal piece and the wider ring in which the bulb clicks in. Tonight I'm going to see if I can remove the larger piece and get it screwed on to the housing of the headlight. If not, I may have to glue it on, using the metal piece as the bace to hold it in, and then try to get a new metal piece someplace.

Why the mod shop decided to do it this way is beyond me
Old 03-06-03, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Alewifebp
After looking at the fog light, it looks like I actually may be missing both the metal piece and the wider ring in which the bulb clicks in. Tonight I'm going to see if I can remove the larger piece and get it screwed on to the housing of the headlight. If not, I may have to glue it on, using the metal piece as the bace to hold it in, and then try to get a new metal piece someplace.

Why the mod shop decided to do it this way is beyond me
ah, ic.... yeah, try to use your fog lights and work your way to get the parts "back"... i would stay away from glue if possible, it's always troublesome. and the mod shop.... one word: "dumb"
Old 03-06-03, 05:03 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Thanks for your help. Would you happen to know where I might find this part?
Old 03-07-03, 04:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Alewifebp
Thanks for your help. Would you happen to know where I might find this part?
umm..... not 100% sure. try talk to supratrd and see what he has, or go to your local dealer and see if they can help you? it's standard for all cars with 9006 so it shouldn't be TOO hard to find