Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

I finally began my HID project...here's what happenning (results and photos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03 | 10:48 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by tiguy99
Let me ask you this...with the modifications done right now, is it possible for you to to close the unit with the cylinder mounted onto the black plastic? Also, is it possible for you to close up the front clear plastic part and make everything fit with the modifications you have made? This is a good discovery. How difficult was it for you to shave those spaces in the cylinder for you to squeeze that projector into the hold long enough for it fit? Keep us posted and ohh yeah..pics wouldn't hurt either.
Mike
The JB Weld is drying (probably dried by now) holding the projector in place. It looks like I'll have to cut a little piece out of the plastic backing right by that stupid bolt in the middle (the one you have to break loose) The mounting flange on the projector is probably gonna hit it a little, I'm planning on cutting out a little piece and sealing some rubber over to cover it if it does hit.

Other than that, everything should go back together fine, I tested and clearance on the front piece of the light isn't a problem. The lens will sit in approximately the same spot the factory one did, although it is slightly smaller; it should still look nice from outside when finished.

I've got the second one taken apart now, down to the metal piece, ready to cut, but I'll probably wait to cut it until I've got the other one totally back together and I know for sure it'll work. I'd hate to have to buy 2 new lights if I ran into a problem I couldn't solve, although I'm in the home stretch now and am not too worried. I haven't had much time to work on it each night, so it's taking a good stretch of time to do this, but the first one should be done within a day or two. It'll be a little while before I'd have pics though.

The real pain with the cylinders was grinding those little tubes and the last bits of the cutoff out of the inside. I used a metal grinding attachment for a drill and it took some time, elbow grease, and a little blood. Cutting the slots wasn't hard. I've gotten pretty handy cutting with the Dremel between this and cutting the rear deck.

I was gonna just put an HID kit in the stock projectors, but decided to try the retrofit to get better beam patterns and cutoffs, plus the cool color flicker which you'd lose with our projectors. Also, a 4300k in our projectors would look a little yellowish-white, a 6000k would have nicer color but you'd lose a little light. The stock projector will steal some light too, the lens is thicker than an HID projector and there is a second shield blocking some of the light. My retrofit has been a challenge, I thought it'd go alot easier than it did, but I'm hoping it'll all be worth it when it's done.
Old 03-13-03 | 01:15 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Spent some more time on this earlier, had to cut some out of the plastic back, shouldn't be too big a deal to seal it up. I also had to cut a tiny piece off the edge of the projector on the mounting flange.

Mike, did you have your light totally apart, down to the metal projectors piece seperated from the backing? I was having trouble getting that back to the plastic right. The aiming was getting way out of wack to the point where the reflector bowls were hitting the inside of the cylinders and not going in any more. How did you do that? I was just putting it on the end of the aiming screws and turning them to bring it back, but it was causing problems. I tried removing the plastic tabs from the metal assembly and screwing them partway back on the aiming screws but they wouldn't go back through the metal with the bolt in the middle. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

What's the trick to getting them back together properly? That's my only roadblock at this point to finishing the first light. Thanks.
Old 03-13-03 | 03:10 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Kyle Harty

Mike, did you have your light totally apart, down to the metal projectors piece seperated from the backing? I was having trouble getting that back to the plastic right. The aiming was getting way out of wack to the point where the reflector bowls were hitting the inside of the cylinders and not going in any more. How did you do that? I was just putting it on the end of the aiming screws and turning them to bring it back, but it was causing problems. I tried removing the plastic tabs from the metal assembly and screwing them partway back on the aiming screws but they wouldn't go back through the metal with the bolt in the middle. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.

What's the trick to getting them back together properly? That's my only roadblock at this point to finishing the first light. Thanks.
Ok. This was the scenario. Yes I did actually have my lights totally apart. From one of my pics, you should be able to see me holding the metal cylinder portion in my hand.

This was the problem. I never got the A6 projectors all the way in the cylinder. First off, what this did was throw off the whole closing things back together moment. Therefore leading me to formulating other methods of installing those things. It got to the point I had to saw off the entire lowbeam portion of the cylinder, drill new holes for the A6 ones and then mount them directly into the black plastic assembly. However, this method still would not work due to the design of the A6 progs alowing the only sane fit misaligned with the light beam which would throw the aiming procedure way off (like a vertical cuttoff which is insane). Frustated at 5 in the morning caused me to do away with the A6 progs altogether to the point they're for sale right now on Ebay. BUT to help and answer your question about the little white plastic tabs that originally held the left/right aim (outer one) and the up/down aim (middle long silver one...I broke by accident), I believe that the black screw in the middle that is surrounded by the white plastic circle seen in this photo above my thumb... can be snapped back in place by beaking the plastice plus with needle nose pliers. This may give you a little more clearence to pop those little white plastic tabs into the screws which would allow you to fasten the metal cylinder portion back with the black plastic assembly of the light fixture. You've got to apply a little more force...maybe one more set of hands may help but it will come together just like it came apart only if there is enough space just like it was when you had the original halogen equipment in there you follow me. LEt me know how things go with this. Me, I couldn't deal with it anymore, I need my car especially in the evening. And I can't be driving with just one light. Out here, it invites those special blue and red lights and I don't mean HID neither
Keep pressing. You're bound to get it. Good luck.

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-25-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-13-03 | 10:45 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I broke the plastic piece on that center bolt out with a needle nose to get it apart, plus that bolt is gone now, cut out to clear the projector, so that's not a problem. I guess I'll keep fiddling with it a little more this afternoon, I know it'll go back together but I thought it should be easier.

I get the bolts started through the tabs, but it just doesn't seem like the metal piece is gonna go all the way back in place like it's supposed to. I guess I'll try it a little more and see where I can get. Then I just have to find an old rubber boot or something to cut a piece and cover up the hole I cut in the backing.

I'm glad I don't have to drive my car right now, this is taking much, much longer than I thought it would. I guess I'm not pushing too hard since I'm waiting for a new alternator as well, the stock alt. is on it's last legs and I don't know how far I trust the car to go.

EDIT: Just worked on this again, figured out what my problem was. The bolt that we had to break loose held the middle of the assembly in place while the aiming screws adjusted it, with the bolt gone the whole piece went all over the place. I zip-tied a mounting hole on the projector to the backing and it seems to have taken care of it. The light is in the oven right now softening up the glue for reassembly.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 03-13-03 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-13-03 | 04:12 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

cool!
Take pics

Now we're off to round two!
Old 03-15-03 | 09:59 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

I finished the first one the other night. Lighting is excellent, nice wide bright beam pattern and very sharp cutoff. It seems like there may be a little less color than you see on BMW's, but I haven't looked at them from a real far distance or had someone else drive the car to see what they really look like, so I'll hold off on a final judgement there. Either way, they definitely look "real" and I'm happy so far. Now I've gotta finish the other one.
Old 03-15-03 | 05:34 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

hows fit and finish? everything seal up good? I've got a little condensation
Old 03-16-03 | 02:01 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Don't know for sure on the condensation, it was parked outside the other night when it got cooler and their was alot of condensation on the windows and the outside of the light and I didn't get anything inside. The true test will be when I wash the car, but if I do get condensation I'll just have to deal with it at the time, reseal any spot that's leaking. I had a little in one of my lights after I cleared the corners, and I've got a little leak in one of my taillights right now I have to reseal sometime; but nothing you can't deal with.

If you look closely and you know what's going on, you can tell the lens is a little smaller and sits a hair farther back, but I doubt a casual observer would notice when they look at the car. I'm happy with the way it looks with the lights off. I took pictures of what I was doing throughout this second light, so when I finish the roll of film I'll have pics, but it'll be a little while.

The second light is drying, should have it on the car tonight and then I can aim them and be done. This light went quicker because I wasn't figuring out the process as I went, but it still took about 3-4 hours of grinding and cutting on the cylinder yesterday, and about 2 hours of work today. So I'd say total work time on each light would probably be 8-10 hours, but with waiting for glue and silicon to dry I'd plan on the whole project taking at least a few days.
Old 03-16-03 | 08:49 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yeah I just ordered a set of BMW E46 (99-2001) HID projectors complete with a brand new set of Philips 4100k bulbs for 200.00. I've been working this deal out all weekend but I should have the progs no later than thursday and the project done by this upcoming weekend. Pics....ohh yeah...they'll be plenty
Old 03-18-03 | 10:26 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the purchase, you got a good deal.

I'm finally done, thought I was gonna be done a couple nights ago, but the vertical aiming screw didn't move the light at all. I thought the zip tie would do the job of that bolt I removed, but apparently not. I didn't try the left-right aiming since it wasn't necessary to adjust. I had to reopen the patch on the back of one light and adjust the aiming, the other one was OK. To add one more catch to things, I finished it all up last night and one of my turn signal bulbs came on but didn't blink, then it worked a little while later. I think the connection was bad, but when I was checking it afterward I dropped and shattered the bulb, so I've now got two new turn signal bulbs as well.

One tip, after you're finished, take a look at all the seams on the assembly with the HID's on, if you've got any leaks you'll probably see a little bit of light leaking out. I noticed a few spots in one of mine that weren't sealed. With all the silicon on my lights now, they better not get any condensation.

The lights look great and the lighting is very nice, I'll get pics ASAP, but don't hold your breath; it'll be a little while.

Good luck with the new projectors, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions and I'll see if I can help.
Old 03-18-03 | 04:17 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks partner I definately will.
Old 04-16-03 | 04:55 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally posted by Kyle Harty
Congrats on the purchase, you got a good deal.

I'm finally done, thought I was gonna be done a couple nights ago, but the vertical aiming screw didn't move the light at all. I thought the zip tie would do the job of that bolt I removed, but apparently not. I didn't try the left-right aiming since it wasn't necessary to adjust. I had to reopen the patch on the back of one light and adjust the aiming, the other one was OK. To add one more catch to things, I finished it all up last night and one of my turn signal bulbs came on but didn't blink, then it worked a little while later. I think the connection was bad, but when I was checking it afterward I dropped and shattered the bulb, so I've now got two new turn signal bulbs as well.

One tip, after you're finished, take a look at all the seams on the assembly with the HID's on, if you've got any leaks you'll probably see a little bit of light leaking out. I noticed a few spots in one of mine that weren't sealed. With all the silicon on my lights now, they better not get any condensation.

The lights look great and the lighting is very nice, I'll get pics ASAP, but don't hold your breath; it'll be a little while.

Good luck with the new projectors, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions and I'll see if I can help.
Wow!! Its been awhile! Guys, sorry I took so long to get back to this project that has been in the making well over a year and a half. Ok. Here is the rundown. My deal I thought I had turned out to be a scam. The seller never sent my lights and after three weeks he tells me the stuff got lost in the mail. So I complained to Paypal and the case is still going on. However, I decided to purchase another set from Ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2410368162).
Today I recieved these projectors however, they are NOT the ones I need. It turns out these are X5/E39 projectors just like yours. The ones I need look like this:

I needed units small enough to pass through the metal cylinder at least far enough for clearence so I can close the whole thing back up. These are exactly like the Audi TT which were much simpler to install (Themaster3 and AMrit50...both very nice retrofits). So it looks as if I will need your help after all. I can either sell these, swap them out or bite the bullet and gut my lights out more than I have to. I plan to attempt the job once again Friday afternoon. Wish me luck
Mike