Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

confused between hid and halogen bulb type? here's the answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by roller400
Will putting HID bulbs in car that is normally halogen look like HID? Don't HID have auto levelers and ballasts to control the current?

Also, from my brief time surfing CL, I have read several references to 6000K bulbs. I'm assuming they are brighter bulbs (correct if I'm mistaken) I currently have HID on my GS400, can I just buy 6000k bulbs and replace the stock ones, or do I have to change the ballasts as I have read some people doing?

Thanks,
couple of things

1) putting really hid kits on halogen housing wont' make it look fake. no one can tell i don't have HID on my car before and it's a hid kit. yes tehre is a ballasts on hid kits, but it's behind the housing.
2) hid doesn't have to come with autoleveling at all, two different concepts. for example, no acura has hid with autoleveling. it's required in europe but not in the US
3) 6000k is NOT brighter than 4300k technically at all. 4300k is still the brightest. 6000k is just whiter/bluer, but it's not brighter. you MIGHT think it's brighter when you look at it but it's just coz' the light scatter more than the 4300k
4) if you have hid now already, just get the 6000k bulbs, it's fine. the stock ballasts are more than enough to handle them
Old 08-21-03, 07:03 PM
roller400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
couple of things

1) putting really hid kits on halogen housing wont' make it look fake. no one can tell i don't have HID on my car before and it's a hid kit. yes tehre is a ballasts on hid kits, but it's behind the housing.
2) hid doesn't have to come with autoleveling at all, two different concepts. for example, no acura has hid with autoleveling. it's required in europe but not in the US
3) 6000k is NOT brighter than 4300k technically at all. 4300k is still the brightest. 6000k is just whiter/bluer, but it's not brighter. you MIGHT think it's brighter when you look at it but it's just coz' the light scatter more than the 4300k
4) if you have hid now already, just get the 6000k bulbs, it's fine. the stock ballasts are more than enough to handle them
That is helpful information about the 6000k, thanks. I guess what I was asking in 1 though was if I put the HID bulb only (no kit) in a halogen set-up via HID bulb with a halogen base like you described in the start of the thread, will it still look like HID or not light up at all?
Old 08-21-03, 08:05 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Will putting HID bulbs in car that is normally halogen look like HID? Don't HID have auto levelers and ballasts to control the current?
To answer your first question, you can't put OEM HID bulbs on a car with halogen lights without modifying the base or they won't fit. You need HID bulbs that have been "rebased" to fit the type of halogen housing that you have. For example, my GS uses 9006 type halogen bulbs for my low beams. You will need an HID bulb which base has been changed or converted to fit a 9006 halogen housing. Then you will need a ballast for each rebased HID bulb. You don't need autolevelers in the U.S. It's always better to get the rebased HID bulbs with the ballasts as a kit and if you ask me my opinion, Philips 6000K is the way to go. They may not be as bright as 4300K but you still get plenty of brightness with a hint of blue and the distinct look like BMW/Audi/Acura.

To answer your second question, no you don't need to change your ballast to switch to 6000K. Just make sure you get the same type of HID bulb. If you have OEM HID, then it is usually D2R or D2S. If you have rebased HID bulbs, make sure you get the same type of rebased HID. e.g. 9006, 9007, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-03, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by roller400
That is helpful information about the 6000k, thanks. I guess what I was asking in 1 though was if I put the HID bulb only (no kit) in a halogen set-up via HID bulb with a halogen base like you described in the start of the thread, will it still look like HID or not light up at all?
asci01 answered your question without ballasts there is no way you can light up the hid at all. the whole technology is different
Old 09-10-03, 05:56 PM
Blackened
Lead Lap

Default Question

Im thinking of changin my low beam (night lamp/the one on the middle).. so I just started reading this lighting forum.. anybody can help me with basic questions?
How much K that GS' stock HID has?
And where can I get LED like phml has for low beam(night lamp/not drl)? And what type is it?
If I put an LED on the low beam like phml has, will my stock HID looks yellow?
-Mike

Last edited by Blackened; 09-10-03 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-10-03, 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Question

Originally posted by Blackened
Im thinking of changin my low beam (night lamp/the one on the middle).. so I just started reading this lighting forum.. anybody can help me with basic questions?
How much K that GS' stock HID has?
And where can I get LED like phml has for low beam(night lamp/not drl)? And what type is it?
If I put an LED on the low beam like phml has, will my stock HID looks yellow?
-Mike
the stock hid is about 4100k to 4300k. well, i think the easiest way is to pm phml about where he got his led from and i have a feeling the night time driving light (the one you asking about) might look a bit bluer than the stock hid
Old 09-24-03, 09:58 PM
concepts
Driver

All the levelers do is point the hid down when you are going uphill and point it up when you are going downhill.

It also adjust when you accelerate and brake. Cool as hell to see them light up and auto adjust when your car comes on.

Take note: Cheap factory hid systems like the ones in TLs and Maximas, VWs do not have any type of leveling system. If the factory wants to put HIDs in, they should really do it right.
Old 09-24-03, 10:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by concepts
All the levelers do is point the hid down when you are going uphill and point it up when you are going downhill.

It also adjust when you accelerate and brake. Cool as hell to see them light up and auto adjust when your car comes on.

Take note: Cheap factory hid systems like the ones in TLs and Maximas, VWs do not have any type of leveling system. If the factory wants to put HIDs in, they should really do it right.
well, i guess it's all about cost plus it's not really required in the US anyway, so it's hard to say that they are doing it WRONG
Old 10-17-03, 08:37 AM
cjnmel
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile thanx for the info....

now, my question is. does this apply only to the later GS models or can this be done also with the 1st Gen GS300's?
Old 11-07-03, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: thanx for the info....

Originally posted by cjnmel
now, my question is. does this apply only to the later GS models or can this be done also with the 1st Gen GS300's?
you mean which, hid conversion? for the 1st gen GS the best way i guess is to get retrofit, say the e39.

btw, check pm, your sig is violating the rule
Old 12-22-03, 08:20 AM
RyCe2gO
Driver School Candidate

i have a question about the HID. I thought that the 2004 GS would come with HID, but i was told that you need to add navi in order to have HID. But anyways, my question is. I have the d2r 6000k bulb. And i'm wondering if there are any online sites where i can just buy the *is it called the ballast* so i can use the bulb?
Old 12-22-03, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RyCe2gO
i have a question about the HID. I thought that the 2004 GS would come with HID, but i was told that you need to add navi in order to have HID. But anyways, my question is. I have the d2r 6000k bulb. And i'm wondering if there are any online sites where i can just buy the *is it called the ballast* so i can use the bulb?
nop you need to get hid first, otherwise the housing is different and you can't even fit the d2r bulbs on, unless you just literally glue it on, then you can get ballasts and get it done. but i don't suggest that coz' the light reflection would be so different.

at the same time, i believe the gs430 are all equipped with hid standard now, i think if you get gs300 then you need nav or something to have hid
Old 12-22-03, 09:06 AM
RyCe2gO
Driver School Candidate

thanks, do you know anywhere where i could just get the KIT w/o the bulb? I have the bulb already
Old 01-22-04, 06:20 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Are the HID bulbs (in this case for my 01' ES 300) very expensive to replace if / when the time comes that they burn out? What kind of price roughly would we be talking about?
Old 01-22-04, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the bulbs, for a pair i think they are about 230 to 250 bucks shipped.

and RyCe2gO, maybe you can try to email jus4bulbs@yahoo.com and see what's up

Quick Reply: confused between hid and halogen bulb type? here's the answer