Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

confused between hid and halogen bulb type? here's the answer

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 02:46 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found the entire HID system w/autolevelers off of a 2004 GS430. Will this fit in my 2000 GS300 which is non-HID? Will it be just a matter of putting it in or will I have to do a lot of modding on my GS300 to get it all in there?
Old 03-02-04, 02:09 PM
cyberseano
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Rom!!! That helped out a lot!!!
Old 03-03-04, 12:46 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Ok, one quick one. Say you got the HIDs off of another car, is depth going to be an issue when you retrofit them into 9006 sockets? Should the HID bulb be mounted at a certain depth in a projector housing or will it not matter? Nothing a dremel tool can not fix!
Old 03-03-04, 06:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally posted by Camshaft
Ok, one quick one. Say you got the HIDs off of another car, is depth going to be an issue when you retrofit them into 9006 sockets? Should the HID bulb be mounted at a certain depth in a projector housing or will it not matter? Nothing a dremel tool can not fix!
bottom line, no matter how you fit it it's not going to have the right light pattern, so there is no rule on the "depth". you will always get some glare in some unnecessary directions
Old 04-29-04, 12:28 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Romini -- I've read through all these posts and I'm a bit confused. I have a 1998 GS 400 with standard non-HID bulbs, and I would like to get that HID look. I thought I understood what you were saying about buying HID bulbs that have been rebased to fit into the existing sockets, but then you all started talking about ballast and I got confused. My question is simple. Can I buy new re-based bulbs and simply plug them into my existing setup?

e-man
Old 04-29-04, 04:57 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the re-based bulbs you will need the ballasts. The best thing is to get an HID kit that includes the rebased bulbs, the ballasts, relays and wiring.

Originally posted by e-man
Romini -- I've read through all these posts and I'm a bit confused. I have a 1998 GS 400 with standard non-HID bulbs, and I would like to get that HID look. I thought I understood what you were saying about buying HID bulbs that have been rebased to fit into the existing sockets, but then you all started talking about ballast and I got confused. My question is simple. Can I buy new re-based bulbs and simply plug them into my existing setup?

e-man
Old 04-29-04, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by asci01
In addition to the re-based bulbs you will need the ballasts. The best thing is to get an HID kit that includes the rebased bulbs, the ballasts, relays and wiring.
that's correct, the best is to get hid kits
Old 06-08-05, 07:43 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
that's correct, the best is to get hid kits

not what tiguy99 would say. but each to his own.

the BEST solution would be go through lexus, or a parts dealer and buy the HID-ready headlights, and THEN mount the components. due to different focal points of HID bulbs in comparison to say, 9006 bulbs....no matter how hard you try, it is guaranteed that you will have hotspots and unwanted glare thrown from your non-hid reflectors--simply because they weren't optically engineered for HID applications. and the thing about the auto-level dealy computers...you need wheel sensors installed and controlling computers on your car to make it work--in other words, just stay away from them.
Old 06-08-05, 09:19 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
not what tiguy99 would say. but each to his own.

the BEST solution would be go through lexus, or a parts dealer and buy the HID-ready headlights, and THEN mount the components. due to different focal points of HID bulbs in comparison to say, 9006 bulbs....no matter how hard you try, it is guaranteed that you will have hotspots and unwanted glare thrown from your non-hid reflectors--simply because they weren't optically engineered for HID applications. and the thing about the auto-level dealy computers...you need wheel sensors installed and controlling computers on your car to make it work--in other words, just stay away from them.
Welcome to CL.

Just to clear things up, if you had read the original question by e-man, you'd see that he was asking about buying bulbs and got confused by ballasts, relays, wiring. rominl was just saying it is best to get a hid kit since all of that is already figured out and it is all in one.

rominl put the OEM HID setup on his car so obviously he was not saying an aftermarket HID kit is the best; period.

As a side note, I see from your sig that you watch The West Wing.
Old 06-08-05, 10:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neo
Welcome to CL.

Just to clear things up, if you had read the original question by e-man, you'd see that he was asking about buying bulbs and got confused by ballasts, relays, wiring. rominl was just saying it is best to get a hid kit since all of that is already figured out and it is all in one.

rominl put the OEM HID setup on his car so obviously he was not saying an aftermarket HID kit is the best; period.

ah. i see now.

and no...watched a bunch of presidential campaign ads during the mudslinging season. i awfully liked it

i sort of migrated over here from hidplanet.com--where a few members are also members here

tiguy99, lexus4jess,

and i'm also interested in purchasing a used IS sometime down the line, so i'm here to absorb and to contribute
Old 06-09-05, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whoster
ah. i see now.

and no...watched a bunch of presidential campaign ads during the mudslinging season. i awfully liked it

i sort of migrated over here from hidplanet.com--where a few members are also members here

tiguy99, lexus4jess,

and i'm also interested in purchasing a used IS sometime down the line, so i'm here to absorb and to contribute
welcome too i am sure you are going to have a lot of fun here
Old 06-09-05, 12:17 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neo
Welcome to CL.

I think he means the quote "I say now, I'm a WHOOSta!" from the cartoon. You know, the hound dog and the rooster?
Old 06-09-05, 12:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Camshaft
I think he means the quote "I say now, I'm a WHOOSta!" from the cartoon. You know, the hound dog and the rooster?
Actually, he explained it above.
The West Wing made a point of what the candidates had to do for their campaign ads but he watched the actual ads.