Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 12:49 PM
ISDINGDONG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID question

I'm in the market for a gs3 and just talked to salesman at the local dealership and he told me that the HID option only comes with the nav. option as package together. Is this true, or he wants to sell me the nav. that i don't need and want? Anyone who purchase a gs3 has this experience or heard of this?
Any input or feedback will be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-03, 01:12 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Well, the closest thing that I can say is: it's possible. Lexus sometimes packages certain options ONLY with certain others. Here's the GS section of the Lexus website.

http://www.lexus.com/showroom/model/...ceoptions.html

Note under #2 the disclaimer regarding options packages.

The other matter is that Lexus may only be shipping cars that are pretty well loaded, so that despite the technical availability, the reality is that the only cars in the U.S. have both. The alternative would be to factory order/special order your car. You'd still be subject to the limitations that Lexus (at the corporate level) places on what you can order, though.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-03, 01:34 PM
woodyaht
Driver

I just went through getting a new GS300, I ordered it with everything. From what I can tell you, the problems I had were, Lexus builds very few 300's with Navi and I can't see where they would only pkg. the HID's with the Nav. unit. It is a separate line on the window sticker. The line on the window sticker for the Nav. option also includes ML system and Leather trim with Memory System (seats, steering wheel, Outside mirrors). The dealer told me that if you order Nav. you will get the Mark L. System also. No choice there. It took 2 mos. for the dealer to get my car, just because there aren't that many with Nav. produced. The dealer I used also told me that when you order a Lexus you might not get what you order that's the way Lexus builds cars. What I would do is call other dealers.

The other option is to buy the car without HID and purchase them off Ebay? I have seen them for sale on there every once in a while.

If you are in the LA area, mine was bought from Lexus Mission Viejo, and they were Awesome. The person I went through was Lynette. I am in No. Cal. though. I went through my Chevy dealership's fleet dept (cause I know the guy there and get a fair deal with them). I flew down to Orange county where the dealer picked me up and I was out of the dealership in 45min. on my way home.
Old 04-14-03, 01:39 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ISDINGDONG -

FYI - my Lexus dealer sells the OEM HID WITHOUT Nav option. I don't think the Nav option works in Hawaii. Plus....Im pretty sure no one needs it to get around here.

My mother bought her 2000 GS300 Platinum edition with HID and heated seats with NO Navigation....even though the Lexus Options says it required the Nav with HID. I guess its like pick the options you want for my dealer.

So to answer your question, YES, you can get it without Nav....just depends if your dealer orders one the way you want it and if you can wait that long.

Another option, which I highly recommend.... is to buy an aftermarket HID kit. It will save you some $$$$. I got my Philips HID kit for $450 for my 2001 GS300 and installed it myself.....its pretty simple. It's NOT rocket science. If you can setup your VHS at home, you can install this.... its virtually plug-n-play.

Personally, I dont care for the stock 4300K light output (white with a bit of yellow). It uses the D2R bulb so there's a definite horizontal cutoff line.

I prefer my Philips Ultinons 6000K (very white with a hint of blue/purple). It uses D2S bulbs.

Hope this helps. If you got anymore questions, please post in the Lighting section.

Pete
Old 04-14-03, 02:34 PM
Red Baron
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I went through the same experience.
I wanted a Blue Marlin with HID, heated seats and leather Pack. NO Navi syst or ML sound syst.
At 2 Lexus dealers they said that car does not exist since Lexus doesn't make HID without the Navi syst.
Well at the 3rd. dealer they said if the car is produced that way, we will find you that car after allocation or you can wait 3 to 4 months if ordered it, but no guarranties that it will be made.
I am a proud owner of a 2K3 Blue Marlin, HID,heated seats and leather pack.
NO Navi or ML syst.
Old 04-14-03, 02:44 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I would add to the above posts that non-OEM HIDs will not have an autoleveling system, nor can you add one for any reasonable cost (anything can be done if you want to spend enough). Be prepared for lots of "flashing" from oncoming traffic. People are crabby enough about HIDs with autoleveling and sharp beam cutoffs; they'll REALLY get their shorts bunched up when you beam 'em right into their face because your beam doesn't cut off and/or a heavy load dropping the rear and lifting the front end.

You could also get the SportDesign package which has HIDs but no NAV.
Old 04-14-03, 08:51 PM
Jlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by mooretorque
I would add to the above posts that non-OEM HIDs will not have an autoleveling system, nor can you add one for any reasonable cost (anything can be done if you want to spend enough). Be prepared for lots of "flashing" from oncoming traffic. People are crabby enough about HIDs with autoleveling and sharp beam cutoffs; they'll REALLY get their shorts bunched up when you beam 'em right into their face because your beam doesn't cut off and/or a heavy load dropping the rear and lifting the front end.

You could also get the SportDesign package which has HIDs but no NAV.
Not all HID equipped cars will have autoleveling systems. They're not even required by law in the U.S. OEM HIDs that have very sharp cutoffs actually cause the most distraction. Ever been behind an s2000 on a bumpy road?? Check the s2000 message boards and see how many S2000 owners get high-beamed on an ongoing basis. This car probably has the sharpest cutoff of any vehicle on the road yet it is one of the most distracting for vehicles ahead. On the other hand, a car like an Acura TL with a not so sharp beam cutoff will almost never get high-beamed. Super sharp cutoff is not always best.
Old 04-15-03, 11:48 AM
Jlee
Driver School Candidate

Just want to add that OEM HID or a projector swap will always have better light output than an HID kit.
Old 04-15-03, 11:53 AM
Red Baron
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I forgot to mention that my Blue Marlin does have the self leveling HID too.
They are just too cool and work awesome.
Old 04-15-03, 02:28 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just going to mention what Jlee said. Several of my friends drive Acura 3.2 TL's, a car with OEM reflector HID (D2R), but no fancy autoleveling system. They never have people beam them, as Acura did a great job with the cutoff gradually fading out in just the right spot. I remember reading several articles that rated the HIDs on the TL as being the least distracting to other drivers. (I don't believe the USDOT requires autoleveling--In fact, I don't think that the first car sold in the US with HID, the 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII, had autoleveling--it also used to old style D1 series bulbs. People often talk about aftermarket HID conversions as being illegal due to lack of autoleveling. The conversion is illegal because the factory optics are only approved to work in conjuction with a specific light source) The other downside to a cutoff that goes from super bright to pitch black is that the driver will focus on what's being lit up bright, and not on whats beyond the beam pattern. When the beam gradually fades out, it's easier to see things in the distance.
In defense of the factory Lexus HID, I've driven an IS and and ES with them, and there seems to be a gradual fade. Of course, both of those cars use free-form reflectors, rather than projectors like the S2000.

Clarification: The gradual fade out I describe is mostly dealing with the width/length, not the height, of the beam pattern. Believe me, I'm not advocating a vertical cutoff so vague that the car has "halos" around its lights at night. Some of the worst offenders I've seen on CL are 1st-Gen LS400s, due to the fact their optics are designed for an H4 or 9004, can't remember which. Four bulb 9006/9005 systems are a little cleaner, because there isn't a shared optic for both high and low beam.