How to fix water build up in Headlights!!!I DID IT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 09:41 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to fix water build up in Headlights!!!I DID IT

Hey guys,

after modifiying my headlights with angel eye rings I decided to try something different to prevent water from getting into the lights.

after re-sealing the light back together I took one extra step in hopes of fixing what I feel is the most annoying defect on the SC's. I went to home depot and bought AQUARIUM TANK SEALANT. and after the light was back together I went around each light thouroughly with this stuff (smells horrible while it's still fresh). But after 1 month and 3 bad rain storms and lots of condensation in the air (not one drop of water has appeared in any of my lights. I initially drilled holes in the bottom of my lights and all I did was fill the holes with the AQUARIUM SEALANT and in works great.

When you think of it the AQUARIUM SEALANT is only doing what it's suppose to be doing. Preventing whater from getting out and in our case preventing from getting in.

Hope this helps (the stuff is cheap to only like 4 bucks and it's in a big squeeze tube.

later guys
Vinnie

P.S: you don't have to take the light apart for this unless you wanna reseal the original stuff which i did but you can try to just go around all the edges and areas you feel water can get in and you shouldn't see any water in your lights after that.
Old 04-28-03, 01:40 AM
TexSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default texsc

WoW.... great idea. I have some questions though, hope you dont mind, they're kinda dumb

1. Why did you have drill holes in the bottom only to seal them back up?
2. How in the world did you get angel eyes on our headlights?
3. Are you ever gonna write a DIY as to how to do all these mods that you did?
4. You have pics?(angel eyes)
Old 04-28-03, 08:47 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Answer's to your questions Tex in the order you asked

1. It was a hasty quick fix attempt to drill the hole's in the lights (I did that a year ago and regret doing it), answer to your question i was an idiot for drilling holes. But, I never tried thinking of a better way till I recently did all this work on my lights.

2.The angel eyes I have are hand made LED RINGS, I know a guy that makes them, he can make the RINGS for just about any car. Then he ships the rings and further moding to the rings is needed to successfully make them work in a car.

3.There really isn't a need for a DIY on the headlights I would do the following to do it right the 1st time althought you can skip completely removing the lense if you want
A - completely separate the headlight and wetsand the light and use plastic cleaner to get the headlights to a nice shine.
B - Re-seal the headlights with RTV Silicon sealant (which is that gray glue you see around the light currently)
C- after the RTV sealant had completely dried use the Aquarium Sealant and thouroughly apply it around each headlight (don't be shy with the sealant apply a nice portion)

As far as the DIY for the angel eye's goes it's gonna be sorta tuff because they are already installed in my SC and I have the angle eyes in both the high and low beam's and to remove the center lights would require removing my bumper again because I have not found a way to remove them any other way.

4. PM me your email address and I'll send any pics you want.
Old 04-29-03, 12:29 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Aquarium sealant = window sealant = silicone sealant .

They are all the same thing and work great.
I used hot glue because it is easier to remove than silicone for when I want to take apart my headlights again.
Old 04-29-03, 07:42 PM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

What ever get's the job done . I wasn't aware of that because when you read the silicon sealant it is used for a lot of things so i figured since it couldn't do the job on it's own what better to assist it than something made specifically for what you are looking for. But, now that I know it makes me feel better cause i have to things preventing that damn water from getting in there

Thanks for the 411 lex

Vinnie