Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Confused about bulb types plz help~~~

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03 | 12:45 AM
teddyh80
Driver School Candidate

Question Confused about bulb types plz help~~~

Hi, guys.

I am planning to upgrade my halogen lights pretty soon.

I am leaning toward PIAA extreme white and while I was looking around the web to do the research, I came across with a question

1) What is the difference between H-type and 9000-type bulb? I know that 9006 is low beam and 9005 is high beam. So I figured I was going to buy PIAA 9000 series, then I heard you could also put H series in there. Is it just difference in the intensity?

2) Has anyone had a experience with PIAA extreme white? I want my light to be as white as possible, since I have white GS, but I don't want it to be too bright that it will be blinding oncoming traffic.

Thank you guys~~~
Old 05-01-03 | 12:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

it's just two different standards for the same thing. i believe here in the US people refers to 9000 series more, but in japan they refer to HB series. for example 9006 is the same as HB4 (hope my memory is correct)

i have seen extreme white, they are pretty sweet. if you can afford the price i am sure they are good stuff.
Old 05-01-03 | 07:02 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Talking Just a thought....

Why do you want to mess around and buy bulbs that will eventually, sooner or later melt your wires??? Go and get yourself some HID's. I think Lexus deserves this. It's not a Honda. You will end up having to replace your pigtails, and bulbs(if you are lucky and not have anymore damage)..... Been there, done that. Now I have HID and don't worry about that problem. It also looks way better. You will end up like all these guys I see driving around with "HID", but with one light out.... Anyway, just my .02. I speak from experience.

Rock
Old 05-01-03 | 08:21 PM
Mr_Mollari
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Just a thought....

Originally posted by Rockero28
Why do you want to mess around and buy bulbs that will eventually, sooner or later melt your wires??? Go and get yourself some HID's. I think Lexus deserves this. It's not a Honda. You will end up having to replace your pigtails, and bulbs(if you are lucky and not have anymore damage)..... Been there, done that. Now I have HID and don't worry about that problem. It also looks way better. You will end up like all these guys I see driving around with "HID", but with one light out.... Anyway, just my .02. I speak from experience.

Rock
I don't think a replacement with the same wattage usage (or less in the PIAA's case) can melt wires. PIAA and OSRAM/Sylvania are reputable companies making quality products. Not everyone has the $$ for a HID setup, and a DOT/SAE approved Silverstar or Extreme White is a good upgrade for $40-80. It's not like the halogen bulbs are made by some sketchy company like HyperXenonKool(?) or something.
Old 05-01-03 | 11:40 PM
teddyh80
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Just a thought....

Rock
First of all, Thanks for the replys, rominl, rockero 28, and Mr. mollari. It really clarify the confusion

I asked couple of my friends who had changed their halogen bulbs to aftermarket ones, and 2 of them said they had similar experiences like rockero 28 said. They said they bought the right wattage and etc... but they said theirs wasn't from well known companies like PIAA.

Well, I guess I wanna hear if anyone had trouble with PIAA or other premium brand bulbs. I am guessing the company like PIAA would produce some good quality products that shouldn't cause a problem like melting the wire, provided that proper wattage is used. I want my car to look good, but if what rockero 28 said was the case, even with the premium bulbs like PIAA's, I don't wanna take the chance.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, if I do buy PIAA extrem super white, I was going to swap the interior lights also. Does anyone know where to get white bulb like PIAA for vanity light, rear personal lights, etc that is not Wedge base bulbs and has less than 5W?

Thank you guys~~
Old 05-02-03 | 01:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

actually i beg to differ a bit from Rockero28's comment. if you get the right kind of superwhite bulbs like razo, piaa, they look pretty sweet. not everyone can shell out 400 bucks or more for hid, i can understand that. it's definitely the best, but if you don't have the money, you don't. so unless no one gets those very fake BLUE bulbs and give out dull horrible color pattern, i am fine
Old 05-02-03 | 03:14 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up bulbs

I had the piaa yellow ions on the fogs, and the piaa hypers in the headlights... I have the replaced pigtails to show if anyone wants to see them. Only recently had toreplace one of the fogs. Bulb is good, but wires melted. Anyway, I am not saying that it's guaranteed you will have the problem. Not dissing or anything like that. Just thought I would pass on my experiences. Hopefully I did not come off worng...

Rock
Old 05-02-03 | 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Default Re: bulbs

I had the piaa yellow ions on the fogs, and the piaa hypers in the headlights... I have the replaced pigtails to show if anyone wants to see them. Only recently had toreplace one of the fogs. Bulb is good, but wires melted. Anyway, I am not saying that it's guaranteed you will have the problem. Not dissing or anything like that. Just thought I would pass on my experiences. Hopefully I did not come off worng...

Rock
wow, you saying that the yellow ions melted the wiring? this is the first time hear this man any pics? i am sure we all wanna see it
Old 05-02-03 | 09:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

especially me, I'm running the ion crystal as we type. The stock were 55w and the ions are 55w. We shall see. how long did it take for the meltdown to occur? Where there any other modifications to the wiring or lighting that may have rerouted current. Did you happen to rewire you fogs to get them to come on with the parking lights instead of the headlights? Or was this a total stock melting?

The PIAA Xtreme White (9005) are in my highs. They are very nice and almost match my HIDs. I put them in a few months back and will be curious to see how long they will last. If one blows in less than a year, I'm gonna try the Silverstars next.

I paid: $75/pr for PIAA 9005 Xtreme Whites (highs)
$69/pr for PIAA H3 Xtreme White Plus (fogs)
$60/pr for PIAA Ion Crystals (newest fogs cause I like the yellow fog look much better)

you do what you can afford, but always enjoy what you do.

sj
Old 05-03-03 | 12:01 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Bulbs

Well, they lasted about 3 months. I use my fogs all the time, so i don't know if that is why they melted... Unfortunately, I do not have any pics of it... What I did was use the 9005 pigtails instead of the 9006(stock)to work. I have not had a problem anymore(so far) with the fogs in over a year.

Rock