Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

1992 SC400 hid

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 12:39 AM
SexyRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 SC400 hid

I purchase an oem RX300 hid kit and installed it in my 1992 SC400 projector lense. The problem is the light does not have full spread, it is actually not focusing like the oem bulbs. Even trying to adjust the beam it did not help.

Input please; The guy I purchase the kit from used it in a Supra mkiv. He said he had no problem. Do I need to gut the projector housing or use a retrofit.

Thank you
Dan

Last edited by SexyRed; 05-07-03 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 12:56 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure if you want the OEM appearance of xenon lighting on your car. Just putting a kit in there won't guarantee you the performance that say a BMW or Audi with HID will. If you want the look of those cars specifically, you will need their projectors in your car. I hear you can use BMW "E39" projectors in your car. These are the ones from the current 5 series model and I hear they use them on the X5 truck. Good luck on the project. I just finished a retrofit using BMW E46 projectors from the current 3 series for my ES300. Do a search using Lex400sc's screen name and you'll find a search on Retrofitting HID. He's got the same model car you have. I think his is 95-96 style but the overall headlights shouldn't have changed that much. Keep us posted fair enough?
Mike
Old 05-07-03, 01:32 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem could just be a result of a poorly based bulb. Who made the kit?
Old 05-07-03, 08:09 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If those lights were pulled directly from an RX, they're going to be D2R's. That means they will have a pinstripe on the underside of the bulb designed to reduce upglare in free-form reflectors designed specifically for use with the pinstripe pattern on the D2R.

In applications other than reflectors designed specifically for HID light sources, the pinstripe causes havoc. In a projector, the cutoff is a function of an internal glare shield. As one member put it, the pinstripe blocks light from where you want it, while the glareshield fails to cut some of other light you don't want. The result of putting a D2R in a projector is a beam pattern with many hot/cold spots. Your best bet is a quality D2S (unstriped bulb designed for ellipSoidal projectors) that has been rebased so that the arc is exactly where the filament would be in a 9006 bulb. The beam pattern still won't be as clean as using a newer model projector designed for a perfect cutoff/spread with D2S, but better than using a D2R that has a pinstripe and the arc in the wrong spot.
Old 05-07-03, 11:21 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by squarehat
If those lights were pulled directly from an RX, they're going to be D2R's. That means they will have a pinstripe on the underside of the bulb designed to reduce upglare in free-form reflectors designed specifically for use with the pinstripe pattern on the D2R.

In applications other than reflectors designed specifically for HID light sources, the pinstripe causes havoc. In a projector, the cutoff is a function of an internal glare shield. As one member put it, the pinstripe blocks light from where you want it, while the glareshield fails to cut some of other light you don't want. The result of putting a D2R in a projector is a beam pattern with many hot/cold spots. Your best bet is a quality D2S (unstriped bulb designed for ellipSoidal projectors) that has been rebased so that the arc is exactly where the filament would be in a 9006 bulb. The beam pattern still won't be as clean as using a newer model projector designed for a perfect cutoff/spread with D2S, but better than using a D2R that has a pinstripe and the arc in the wrong spot.
That's the problem, light isn't coming from the same spot inside the projector, which will throw your beam patterns off, along with the other things squarehat mentioned. How did you secure the bulbs? I'm guessing they didn't fit right so you had to silicon them in place or something along those lines? OEM HID's aren't meant to be directly put in other projectors or reflectors, your best bet is a quality rebased bulb, I believe the SC uses 9006's.
Old 05-08-03, 11:05 PM
SexyRed
Rookie

Default squarehat

You assessment is correct.
The kit came out of a RX 300 with the D2R bulb. Does this mean this bulb will work fine in reflective type (non-projector headlight) correctly.

Where Can I get the correct bulbs to work with the lexus? Thank you.

Thank you
Dan

Ps Yes I had to silicone it on.
Old 05-08-03, 11:21 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You will need to get a set of D2S HID bulbs. These are the correct specification for your car. These can be found in a variety of places. Go to Ebay and type in D2s in the search engine and you're bound to find several pairs for sale. Also Autolamps sells the correct bulb you are looking for. I bought a brand new set of Osram D2S Bulbs (exact bulbs BMW and Audi use) back in November for $60.00 complete with shipping. Good luck. Maybe you should try selling your set online and using the funds to get the ones you need. People are looking for D2Rs too.
Old 05-09-03, 12:40 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't want any kind of OEM HID bulbs; you'll need to get bulbs that have been rebased to fit the car, you'll want to double check but I believe the SC uses 9006 bulbs. Rebased bulbs are D2S bulbs fit onto a 9006 base and made so the light is emitted from the same point inside the projector as the 9006's, that way your beam pattern remains the same. You still won't get quite the same widespread even pattern of OEM HID optics, but you'll basically have the same factory beam pattern much brighter.
Old 05-18-03, 09:52 AM
SexyRed
Rookie

Default Bad luck again

Hello all,

I just bought a D2S bulb on ebay (not received yet). After re-reading the reply. I realized the D2S rebased takes also in consideration of refocusing the light for non hid projector.

Now I have 2 different bulb and RX300 ballast/controller sitting around.

When I get the D2S bulb will install in the car and see what happen. Hope this work out.

Dan
Old 05-19-03, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Bad luck again

Originally posted by SexyRed
Hello all,

I just bought a D2S bulb on ebay (not received yet). After re-reading the reply. I realized the D2S rebased takes also in consideration of refocusing the light for non hid projector.

Now I have 2 different bulb and RX300 ballast/controller sitting around.

When I get the D2S bulb will install in the car and see what happen. Hope this work out.

Dan
sorry i wasn't around to help out when you fisrt posted the thread. but others are correct, the s2s type bulbs (without the metal piece) should give you a better light output