Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Sylvania Silverstar 9006 review

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 10:13 AM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sylvania Silverstar 9006 review

With it being my birthday recently, my girlfriend bought me some low beam (9006) Silverstars that I have heard a few people here talking about. I installed them the other night and took a couple of pics. The light is noticeably whiter (advertised as 4300k or so against the stock 2700k). Also, despite being the same wattage of 55w, the lights are brighter. I could se the road better in my SC. Especially off to the sides where you need to see if anything is going to run out in front of you. If you go to the sylvania website, there is a$10 mail in rebate with the purchase of 2 bulbs. Also, they have a deal where if you buy one set, the second set is half off.
I purchased the bulbs at autozone, who had the cheapest price I could find at $19.99 each. After rebate, the cost of this mod should be about $30. Well worth the cost IMO. These bulbs will hold me over until I have the $ to do an HID retrofit. Switching out bulbs took less than 10 minutes and I would give it a 1 difficulty level. If you can't do this on your own, go take a class on automotive maintenance or something.

The Silverstar is on the left- notice how much more white and bright it is compared to stock.
Attached Thumbnails Sylvania Silverstar 9006 review-dsc00770.jpg  

Last edited by TGRich; 06-01-03 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-01-03, 06:55 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are good lights. I had those before I installed my HID kit.
Old 06-01-03, 07:35 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I've got them two weeks ago and it's great how they light up the road so much better than stock...
It really makes you ask what has Lexus been thinking all these years with the dim headlights?

Mom's '02 Maxima stock HID's are still better, but can you ask any more from a $50 change can you?

I swapped mine to 9005's though. From what I can tell there is more light, but it shoots out more like a spear pattern. Two beams closer together (no top mounted reflective coating) Still... it's like taking the stock 9006's and making their light pattern brighter and mroe vibrant, then sticking two jet's of light shooting down the road.

Looks very cool in the fog mist LoL!
Old 06-01-03, 11:26 PM
Lvangundy

You guys with newer cars and newer bulbs are soo lucky! You get the benefits a silverstar can really offer.

Lights on the old Lexus like my LS REALLY suck. The light distance is like 8 ft.

Compared to my friends 2003 Subaru 2.5RS regular driving lights, mine look like its parking lights!

Last edited by meZoom!; 06-01-03 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 11:57 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm about to go get me some silverstars this week i think. 9007s for me!

keep in mind though, that regular halogen headlights DIM over time, so if you get a new set of Toyota (N. Denso) bulbs and throw em in, they'll probably be brighter than your several-year-old bulbs. But we all knew that!
Old 06-02-03, 10:33 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 9006 Silverstars in my 1996 ES for over a year, and I'm very satisfied. I have noticed, however, that the passenger-side bulb now appears slightly yellower than the driver's side (which could easily pass for HID minus the color flicker). I don't know if some of the filtering melted off, leaving me with a more clear, and hence yellower bulb, or whether the bulb is experiencing "lumen maintenance"--the bulb is aging, and running less bright and yellower (this has been known to happen on high beam bulbs used as daytime running lamps). I was considering replacing the passenger-side bulb, but afraid that it wouldn't match up (I remember comparing bulbs in the store to find two with exactly the same tint, as the colors seemed to vary).
Old 06-03-03, 12:43 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by squarehat
I've had 9006 Silverstars in my 1996 ES for over a year, and I'm very satisfied. I have noticed, however, that the passenger-side bulb now appears slightly yellower than the driver's side (which could easily pass for HID minus the color flicker). I don't know if some of the filtering melted off, leaving me with a more clear, and hence yellower bulb, or whether the bulb is experiencing "lumen maintenance"--the bulb is aging, and running less bright and yellower (this has been known to happen on high beam bulbs used as daytime running lamps). I was considering replacing the passenger-side bulb, but afraid that it wouldn't match up (I remember comparing bulbs in the store to find two with exactly the same tint, as the colors seemed to vary).

geez, what a perfectionist. I just grabbed any ol' two out of the bunch today. maybe you could pass off your imperfect bulb as HID "angle hue"....or pretend that its the way that its meant to be and accept it...kinda like how if you have imperfect children, you're still supposed to love them. errr, bad example.
Old 06-04-03, 05:40 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

However I don't like them on in the day time because you see a purpish tint and they look like those cheap high wattages bulbs, But at nite they look nice
Old 06-07-03, 05:39 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by purebliss
However I don't like them on in the day time because you see a purpish tint and they look like those cheap high wattages bulbs, But at nite they look nice
Wanna trade? Mine appear yellow during the day, they look like regular halogens. But you've already seen my hypothesis a couple posts up on how I think mine are yellowing. On that note, I checked them the other night, the two looked the same dead on. The ES projectors have just a tiny bit of color flicker that was causing the difference.