Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

projector question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 12:59 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default projector question

i'm pretty familar with HID lighting and how it all works. well i have this problem that i want to confirm with some people. One of my projectors changes color more than the other. i heard that if you bend the metal piece more towards the bulb it will change color more. can someone confirm this for me?

also, when i park my car head on with a wall and i line up both lights and then i get in front of the car and i sit up and down. to see if its even. well for some reason my driver side headlight will glimmer (or what ever you want to call it when you get below the cutoff line) before the passenger side does. but if i adjust the passenger side headlight up some so that both headlights glimmer at the same time. but after i do this when i look against the wall the passenger side now is like way higher then the driver side.

i hope this makes sense. i'll clear things up if you need. just ask.
Old 06-03-03, 09:31 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=cut+off

I think this is exactly what you are describing, modification to the glare shield to increase the amount of blue/violet at the top of the cutoff, thus giving more color flicker. The guy doing the mod got banned for pushing his angel eye kits a little too hard on CL, but EGainer may be able to put you in touch with him.
Old 06-03-03, 10:25 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

How about the adjustment thing. its a little hard to explain but i'll try again. When i aim my light againt a wall and make them both perfectly even as possible. Then when i go stand in front of the car and sit down the driver side will be really bright when i'm about squating position(when your eye gets below the cutoffline) and the passenger side won't do the glare thing until i bend down about 6 inches lower. But if i look on the wall both lights are aimed up perfect. so then i try to move the passenger side up so that when i sit down in front of the car again they will both become glare at the same time. when i do this and i look against the wall the passenger side will be too high. i'll try to get pics for better description
Old 06-03-03, 12:43 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about. Even with my grape Fanta can mod my left side seems to have more color in the cuttoff pattern vs. the right side. Its like they both do the violet flicker but the left seems to have more going for it than the right side. You have two options. If you want to have even distribution, you can open up the projectors and seperate the cuttoff shield from the unit, trace and cut out a new shield (as accurate as possible) from an aluminum soda can making the new margin about 1mm higher than normal. Then attach the new cuttoff sheilds wrapped on top of the old ones making sure both the left and the right sides are even and similar and viola...you have even distribution and even more violet flicker. OR you can do the other trick.....take out both projectors and eyeball the cutt shields to see if both are 110% accurate in shape, form and bend along the straight edge. Most likely the answer is gonna be no because one side seems to have more color projected higher up than the other yet both are aimed correctly. So in this case, you would have to experiment and see if you can get the right side to have the SAME COLOR LINE as the left by bending the edge a tiny bit in the center of it but towards the bulb. If you have any questions PM me or search for my projector mod I did to my E46 upgrade on my ES. Good Luck...I know exactly how you feel. Mike T.
Old 06-03-03, 12:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by tiguy99
....Most likely the answer is gonna be no because one side seems to have more color projected higher up than the other yet both are aimed correctly. So in this case, you would have to experiment and see if you can get the right side to have the SAME COLOR LINE as the left by bending the edge a tiny bit in the center of it but towards the bulb. If you have any questions PM me or search for my projector mod I did to my E46 upgrade on my ES. Good Luck...I know exactly how you feel. Mike T.
Mike, i think you just hit the nail right on the head. so what you suggest is opening up my housing again(this is like the 5th time each side) and bending the metal piece TOWARDS the bulb more? i remember doing this to one of the side just for the hell of it. and it seems like it did make a difference and it looks like it was the driver side that i did it too. lol. this is going to be hard to do because.

#1. i wanna do it during daytime so i can see what i'm doing
#2 but it should be done at night time so i can aim it more perfect

what to do. with no garage. lol.
Old 06-03-03, 04:16 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, if you remove your lamp and then take it inside, you can open it in the oven and then do the mod on the projector. Finally, do a test before you close everything back together by taking the lamp outside. Do the test by inserting the bulb into the projector (alone) and by holding it in your hand, point it to the closest wall you can find and compare it with the left side. Last but not least, place the outer plastic over the light and look and see how the beam color looks on the wall as well. If you notice uniform color and appearance between the right and the left in the dark, then you got it! If not, then you've got to head back indoors and bend that piece slightly until you get the result. You can always create your own cuttoff and place it on top of your original units (takes about 15 mins/side if done right). The benefit is that you'll create a more colorful appearance than using standard OEM cuttoffs. However, you'll have to aim the right headlamp just a tad bit higher to make up for the 1mm difference created because you have a newer edge you just made. Either way, good luck. Colors are remarkable simply becuase you consistantly turn heads when folks find out you're driving a car that wasn't originally HID!
Old 06-04-03, 09:48 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Here's a link to a guy who has done the shield mod:

http://www.houseofthud.com/cartech/hids/index.html

Tell us how it goes John.
Old 06-04-03, 11:10 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think i'll be making a custom shield. i just dont' have the right tools and precision. i'll just stick with the factory one but try to play with it. i love the way the driver side looks like. so i know its capable of looking even better than it already is.