H4 reflector for HID

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-03, 05:32 PM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H4 reflector for HID

Hello

I got my HID from Lexus dealership and I got the D2S bulbs instead of the D2R - which is for the reflector setup. I heard that D2S is more brighter, so I went with D2S. When I installed the bulb into my H4 housing, and turn it on, the beam just goes everywhere. It was like it was on High and Low beam at the same time and it is blinding anything infront of the car.

I wanted to know if anyone have the same problem and what is your solution?

Thanks
Old 06-13-03, 06:26 PM
sc'edGS
Driver School Candidate

D2S bulbs are only for HID kits and projectors. You should switch to D2R bulbs.
Old 06-13-03, 06:45 PM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

I know the D2S is for Projectors... but D2S is alittle brighter than the D2R. D2S and D2R are the same bulbs, but D2R comes with a small black shield.

Some people make their own reflectors for the extra light, just wondering if someone did something similar or came up with something else better.

Thanks
Old 06-14-03, 12:31 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

there is a reason why there is a small shield. go get the right bulbs. till then don't drive at night.
Old 06-14-03, 07:51 AM
1.5RS-T
Rookie

Anybody here ever heard of retrofiting?

I sense alot of confusion on this site for some reason.

Retrofiting - means taking something that don't belong - in this case D2S - and moding it to a refelctor setup that does not belong. I have read alot of ppl doing it, but have not seen it in person.

I am also a member of Toronto Civic Club (toronotcivics.com), I know there is one guy that got it to work but can't find him, still waiting for his reply. He posted some pics, so for sure I know it works.

Another thing, I have not installed it yet, read the post carefully. I said the beam was too intense, way too intense so I took it out. The rules in Toronto are much stricker then anywhere else in the world. There are 2 police forces right now, assembled to hunt races and legal mods. That is why I never left the house with those light and have posted *****d most of the automotive forum to find answers.

So far this site is the worst, get the facts straight or ask questions first.

The results from the retrofiting - if done right - is much better than original. So, I am calling all experts...

Only ppl that have done this, please post, anything else will be ignore

Thanks
Old 06-14-03, 12:28 PM
sc'edGS
Driver School Candidate

Your headlamp was designed to work with the D2R bulb from the ground up; it was designed to take advantage of the glare strip in order to reduce glare. Putting in a D2S bulb defeats all the engineering that went into making the headlamp glare free. That extra light you get from the D2S bulb is shining into other driver's eyes.