Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

96 es300 headlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 01:06 PM
sunshine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 es300 headlight removal

i want to polish my lights w/ that Ziano plastic polish people were talking about. The problem here is- I dont know how to get the headlight out. Is it hard? - (let me stop and say that i'm a girl and have never taken ANY headlight out), but i'm not scared. lol. I just need to know if there is anything tricky about doing it. Thanks- sunshine-
Old 06-19-03, 05:00 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 96 es300 headlight removal

Originally posted by sunshine
i want to polish my lights w/ that Ziano plastic polish people were talking about. The problem here is- I dont know how to get the headlight out. Is it hard? - (let me stop and say that i'm a girl and have never taken ANY headlight out), but i'm not scared. lol. I just need to know if there is anything tricky about doing it. Thanks- sunshine-
(Sorry I don't have any pics available on this computer) To remove them its not hard. Its pretty simple. You need to remove three screws each side. The first ones is easy to get to. The hold the top clip of the assembly and are located on the far top left side for the left headlight and the far top right side for the right headlight. You will need to remove these screws with a socket head type screw driver (like those multi purpose/multi attachment). The final set of screws can be found under the black plastic cover that covers the radiator. You won't need to remove the whole thing but just pop those plastic screws out (should be like three on the left and three on the right). Now pry up the plastic cover that covers the radiator and then look for the final two screws that hold the headlight in place. One is vertically removed and the other horizontially (does that make sense?) Now remove each bulb from the lights (high and low beams) and slowly remove the head lamp assemblies from the car. Slowly because the final bulb for the turn signals is still attached but you will have to remove the wire that clips into place (looks like a triangle socket). Once you got this out you're lamp is free to be cleaned. Now I don't know if you wanna clean the inside but since you got the lamps off you might as well open them up and get in there and clean them 110%. To open them up, there are several methods and I suggest you do a search for that (to tired to type). Good luck and post pics!
Mike T
Old 06-19-03, 06:56 PM
sunshine
Driver School Candidate

Wink headlight removal &cleaning

Once you got this out you're lamp is free to be cleaned. Now I don't know if you wanna clean the inside but since you got the lamps off you might as well open them up and get in there and clean them 110%. To open them up, there are several methods and I suggest you do a search for that (to tired to type). Good luck and post pics!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for the info. I was thinking that I had to clean the inside! So, polishing the -outside- will clear up the foggy, yuckyness of my headlight huh, kewl! I thought all that was on the inside! I'm glad I asked! thanks again!
Old 06-19-03, 08:36 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used regular wax on my 96 ES's headlights last weekend, and that did wonders. Next time I'll probably try Meguiars or Zaino. Nonetheless, it does make an improvement in light on the road, and keeps the light from creating random glare.
Old 06-24-03, 12:27 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

how do I clean the inside on a 97 ES300??
Old 07-05-03, 03:35 AM
BigghookUp
Pole Position

Default quickie

say once you take it out and you DO want to clean the inside, how would you go about doing this? Would you heat it in the oven to soften up the silicone and then pry them apart?

but after you get them apart and clean everything back up do you have to resilicone the bulb back togethor?

Please help asap because i want to do this project today.
Old 07-05-03, 09:27 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bigghookup, use the advanced search box and search the ES forum for "clear corners" You'll find several tutorials on both taking apart and resealing the headlamp assemblies.