Sylvania Silverstars vs. PIAA Xtreme White

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-03, 06:52 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sylvania Silverstars vs. PIAA Xtreme White

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Sylvania Silverstars vs. the PIAA Xtreme Whites. Which lights do you think are better as far as halogens are concerned??
Old 06-27-03, 07:55 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PIAAs but it will cost you.

steviej
Old 06-27-03, 08:37 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I used Silverstars on my '96 ES w/ projector headlamps. I noticed quite a difference in light output between that and the regular halogens. You can still see a little bit of yellow in light, depending on the angle you're looking at. Other than that, it worked real nice for nighttime driving.

I'm currently using PIAA Xtreme Whites on my '01 ES w/ reflective headlamps. Color temperature is a bit higher on this one (4150K vs. 4100K on the Silverstars), therefore just a tad bit whiter. However, PIAAs on reflective headlamps bring out an almost entirely different perspective to driving at night and looking at the headlights from all angles. I believe the light output here is far better than the Silverstars on the projector headlamps because it's more multi-directional, and they're one of the best examples of halogen upgrades.

Steve is right, PIAAs are more expensive than Silverstars, but well worth it. It really depends on what type of bulb your car will accept, and you go from there and see what each brand has to offer. Always research your lighting candidates heavily before deciding. Don't hesitate to ask more quesitons
Old 06-27-03, 11:13 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silverstars are very reasonably priced. I used to have them before I upgraded to HID's and that was the best option.
Old 07-01-03, 08:41 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

I swapped the original 9006 halogens to 9005 silverstars.

WoW is all I have to say.

Light output is great! My only wish was would be that instead of two "spikes" of light shooting down the road, that they would be less concentraded and more of an even spread accross the road.

Damn those Lexus optics LoL!

Anywho's... Either will get your rocks off it so much better than stock. I swapped and cleaned my fogs at the same time to some type of Hella lights. The fogs were must stronger also. Give a nice "strong" yellow color out. Not a weak whitish yellow. (Sorry, clears are in style, I've gone back to liking yellows. That and they actually SERVE a nice purpose if you've ever been in heavy rain or fog LoL!)

Don't ask about the fogs... I went to three stores to find the Silver Stars (Wall-Mart had moved their stock to the new yet to open supercenter, Autozone was sold out) Out of those two AND Advanced Autoparts, the $5 hella lights were the only light in that size I found at three places... How sad is that LoL! It was a conspiricay that day to make an hour or two long prject last all day ROTFLMAO!

Like I said, both the PIAA's and Silverstars are so much stronger than stock, you can't go wrong with either.
Never compaired the two in person, but it seems the PIAA's are stronger but cost more.

Who cares? Makes night driving actually safe for a change!
Old 07-03-03, 07:49 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Anyways... More than a month later, I borrowed a pathetic Mavica for a digital camera for the 4th Weekend.

Here are some weak grainy, blurry shots. It's been a month and I still haven't adjusted them. Both the headlight assemblies need to come up about 2 degrees, and the driver's side needs to go left another 2 degrees (It was originally in the opposite lane, I just adjusted too far) The passenger's fog needs to come slightly down and right, while the driver's will come up slightly.

FYI The color looking at the fog lights is a bit off, IRL it's less of a weak yellow, and much fuller, same color as it is on the road.

The differance is about 2X as much light on the road as the weak 11 year old OEM bulbs. The color is better... Not like the HID's in mom's maxima, but I don't care about the color, I'm poor and the point is more light on the road.

A better way of explaining the Silverstar type halogen bulbs is that they are only slightly off from HID's at their STRONGEST point. The differance is that stock HID's simply throw out much more light at the farther angles and are much better.

I took some angle shots, but the camera never would focus, so they're blurred to hell. In the projector houses the Silverstar's go from a fairly white color, to a yellow as you get off-angle from dead ahead of the projector.

It was *extremely* humid. I threw out 1/2 the photos because you can't see anything. I wish I had the fogs wired to come on by themselves(a project for the next week or two), We could all see the difference of what "real" yellow fog lights can make. Fairly pointless to be required to have your beams on to use them.

The dreaded back road potholes!
theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/blahalabamapotholes.jpg

Out the window looking down the road
theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/downtheroad.jpg

(Hey I dare someone to drive looking throguh a viewfinder!)
Another shot DTR
theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/dtragain.jpg

Ugly frontshot
theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/frontshot.jpg

From inside the fogs make a huge differance and lighting up what the weak Lexus projector beams don't light up on the sides of the main stregnth of the beams. I wouldn't fault the projector design for this and blame it on the fact that I swapped in 9005's, but the simple fact is it was just the same as before, the only differance is more light on the road now.

Anyways... Nothing to brag about, I just thought I might as well post it. I'm gonna swap my side markers to some other color, or clear them or something. That's a project for some other time thoguh, got some finals right after the 4th and another term starting <blah>.

Last edited by Toysrme; 07-03-03 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-03-03, 07:50 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

grrrrrr

How gay is this board? The only one I've ever seen that won't read shots of theforumisdown.
Old 07-03-03, 08:10 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I posted a suggestion but it didn't work, hence the "edited by"

nevermind.

sj

Last edited by steviej; 07-03-03 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 07:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Sylvania Silverstars vs. PIAA Xtreme White

Originally posted by vinster29
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Sylvania Silverstars vs. the PIAA Xtreme Whites.
Amazing! Look what I found

Old 07-04-03, 12:21 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

I'm assuming the bulbs in question are in the low beams, even though the site talks about "you need more output when using the yellow fog housings."
Old 07-04-03, 01:57 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Here's a pic of my silverstars on my is 300 fog lights.
Attached Thumbnails Sylvania Silverstars vs. PIAA Xtreme White-3carssidelights1.jpg  

Last edited by Wald GS; 07-04-03 at 01:57 PM.