Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Illegal to Sell Aftermarket HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 06:44 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Umm actually, the fine is $5,000/day for overt sales and there is no way the US government can fine or regulate anyone operating outside of the United States. The most that could happen is that US Customs seizes the package in transit, and even then, the recipient has every right to claim it at Customs. I doubt it would even come to that since Customs doesn't know how to look for HID kits nor do they even care. Hell you could ship bootleg DVDs and computer software from Hong Kong with Pirated Media Inc. on the envelope and it would still get to your house. I'll bet that Autolamps will continue selling stateside after the 15th.
http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread...5&pagenumber=5

The importer might be the one that gets fined, or at the very least gets his stuff confiscated if they ever do find out. I know, because I had ordered an airsoft gun (basically a non-firing gun that looks very realistic) from overseas and had my goods seized by customs. The seller forgot to add a red marking on the barrel, which technically illegal. U.S. customs conducts random searches... Maybe they'll catch it, maybe they won't. It would still be a risk for the buyer. A major seller of HID kits such as Autolamps has a rep to protect. I doubt they would want to be involved in any U.S. transactions.
Old 07-31-03, 06:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the importer in the case of Autolamps would be the shipper: UPS. How can UPS be held accountable for receiving a paid package that they have no idea of knowing the contents of? When I take a package to the UPS distribution center, they just toss it onto their conveyor belt and directly into the back of a truck. Even if US Customs seizes it, they can't do anything! It's your property since you already paid the $500 and it is postmarked to you. The same is true if youy have illegal drugs. Customs sends you a notice that you have a package with illegal contents and that you need to claim it. Now in the case of HID equipment, it is illegal to sell and use, but unlike drugs, it is not illegal to buy or possess. You could open the package in the Customs office and walk out with the kit in your hand raised above your head. And as far as Autolamps and their reputation, they would be completely unaffected to my understanding. I know Mexican pharmaceutical companies that ship Mexico-legal, US-illegal drugs to the States all the time, and they never get fines from the DEA. If I was Autolamps I would laugh at the NHTSA if they attempted to fine me and I would wipe my *** with every fine they sent me because in Europe they wouldn't be worth the paper they're printed it on.
Old 07-31-03, 07:46 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

When I say importer, I mean the person that wants to bring the product into the country (the buyer). UPS or whoever the shipping company is has nothing to do with it...they only ship the package; it's the buyer and/or seller's responsibility to make sure it's legal to import/export.

Autolamps is already is aware of the fines and has told a customer through an email that they will not import the products in the U.S. So when the regulation comes into play, it would be very difficult to get a hold of replacment parts.
Old 08-01-03, 02:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey gang -

Where on the NHTSA website can I find this "BAN" on HID kits? I looked high and low....used their search function, but still cant find it.

Anyone know?

Pete
Old 08-01-03, 05:42 PM
99SHlude
Rookie

It's not really a "ban"... HID kits were already technically illegal, it's just now that the DOT is enforcing their laws on non-DOT certified lighting equipment. 5k per offense if they catch a company selling the stuff.
Old 08-06-03, 06:39 AM
lcc014
Driver

After 8/15/2003, we may have less topic to discuss about. Nobody can install aftermarket HID kit anymore ...

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 08-08-03, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by lcc014
After 8/15/2003, we may have less topic to discuss about. Nobody can install aftermarket HID kit anymore ...

Ching-Ho Cheng
well not really. you can install it, you just have a very hard time finding it
Old 08-08-03, 09:47 AM
Pagong
Lexus Test Driver

so are there shops out there getting rid of HID kits for really really cheap?
Old 08-08-03, 10:05 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Pagong
so are there shops out there getting rid of HID kits for really really cheap?
Thats a good possibility....if you find seller liquidating their inventory...let us know.

Pete
Old 08-08-03, 06:51 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I've talked to quite a number of people that sell the phillips kit online, and have had all but three of them that even knew of the "ban".
That being said, the government will have to get the word out if they ever wanted to start banning the sale of them. Sending a memo to the makers to send to the resellers at the very least.

All but four said they will continue selling after 8/15 untill told otherwise, as most stated it was problably a hoax to drum up biz.

Anyway you want to look at it dosen't matter; nor do I really care. Just spend your money wisely. AFA I have to say, if they want to lower prices for any reason; more power to them.

*Edit*
Not that I don't believe there will be a ban. It just dosen't currently seem like it, and if there will be it wouldn't really matter either way for quite some time; so I say just approach the entire sintuation with reserved caution.

Last edited by Toysrme; 08-08-03 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-08-03, 08:34 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

#2338 on the petition.
Old 08-10-03, 10:14 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps you can seperate the components of the HID kit and then seperately send the parts to the US.
Customs would probably not know if its for an OEM HID or for an aftermarket HID set
A little bit more work and little bit more postage, but should work.
Old 08-11-03, 12:38 AM
limoZeen
Driver School Candidate

From all that i have gathered from the NHTSA, there is no ban on OEM HID's or HID kits. There is a plethora of information regarding complaints from people regarding HID's being distracting. It seems as those the issue is unresolved at this time as the NHTSA is working with auto manufactures to make HIDs less distracting. The only referance to a fine regarding HID's was with APC http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/annou...e=pr21-03.html They were never charged with anything, they agreed to pay a civil penalty of $650,000 (which in all reality is nothing) to get the NHTSA off their back. I encourage you all to read the information regarding HIDs thats the NHTSA has on their website http://199.79.179.52/search?site=my_...l_no_dtd&q=hid

If there was an actual ban, there would be a formal press release just as there is with everythign else. I couldnt find one.

see for yourself: www.google.com search for "HID ban". every result thats relivant is from an online car forum NOT a .gov

so then search for "hid ban .gov"
you get a power point presentation regarding consirn of hids and a doccument addressing problems w/ a submit your commets section.

Last edited by limoZeen; 08-11-03 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-11-03, 05:24 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Thanks, LimoZeen.

Good stuff.
Old 08-11-03, 07:13 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Yep. You can also note on all of those study's that HID's do not glare any more than regular, provided they are in compitant housings. So AFA right now goes you can't prove they're dangerous in the least bit.(studys...)

Quick Reply: Illegal to Sell Aftermarket HIDs?