Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

How to take *true* color pictures(for all the light freaks)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-03, 10:44 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool How to take *true* color pictures(for all the light freaks)

First of all, no pics today, but I'll show some results sometime between the 18th or 25th.
Now then It seems that there is far and wide dissatisfaction and really just people that take bad pics when it comes to lights and such.

First let's go over what's WRONG!
-Any type of Digital camera (sorry, even in the digital age, it will take decades to replace high quality film)
-Any regular film
-Any film processed by places like Wall-Mart, or a drug store
-Any film that's been scanned by anything an end user, or Wall-Mart/drug store would have access to
(ahhh anyone that's ever done some high quality pics knows where we're getting at!)

Now most people have ran out of rescources, but it now leaves us with one path. The true path to real color!

First of all, we're out of "normal" cameras most people would have ever used. We will be using any standard film size however. When I post some real shots, they'll be taken from a camera older than I am, a Nikon 35mm FA. Which any photo buff will know has changed *very* little in the 20 some odd years and has been a top end 35mm manual adjustment camera for two decades. Anyways... back on topic!

Normal film is going to be color corrected even by the best studios to some extint no matter what you tell them. (unlike autocenters which will ALWAYS turn colors normally to blue or green)

How to get around ALL color editing!!!
I'll tell you!
We use old school slide film.
The good part about slide film is that once the picture is on the negative, there is nothing that can be done in the processing of the film that can change the color of the picture. What we shoot is what we get!

Great! But how do we get it on the internet???
Well we still ahve to cheat and use a scanner, but we're having the studio we go to do it, so they're going to do as little editing as possible; just enoguh to get as close as possible to the printed pictures. That's the best that can be done, and to trained eyes, the normally good turnout of this is very hard to distinguish.

So what we have is cameras capable of using slide film along with good studio houses which can't change the colors on the film to scan and match as best as possible to media of your choice <cough> cd <cough>.

I bet you guys thought I was going to post an "easy 15 min" way to achive it!
Well this is the best it will get! I'll post some pics of my car sometime in the next two weeks.

Just some info of my plans... Currently I have a '93 ES with 9005 Silverstars in the 9006 low beams. Some cheap Hella replacement bulbs in the fogs.

Philips 6000k Ultinon Kit is on its way (should arrive on the 19th) The Silverstars will be moving into their correct 9005 highbeam slot. Who knows, maybe a month from now I'll get some H3 4100 HID's for the projector fogs. That should be some insane light spread! (that's a JOKE)
Old 08-10-03, 01:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very interesting! can't wait to see the results man
Old 08-10-03, 07:59 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Nice indeed, but I don't know how many here have the time, money or patience to spend on this.

I'm really unhappy with the quality (or lack thereof) of my current cheapo digi-cam, but I'm just going to get a better digi-cam. Don't have the time to introduce film -- and all of the associated delays -- to the process.

Modern technology has spoiled me!
Old 08-10-03, 01:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be an interesting read but I think it would be overkill for most people. But when people are ready to do something like this, they can refer back to the thread. Thanks for taking the time to pass on some info.
Old 08-10-03, 08:07 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Where on earth did my first reply go? LoL! Call the police, someone stole my post!

Anyways...

BuyERTS is very correct. Because unless you're unnaturaly lucky by having a very top end photo lab in your area, slide film (*Chrome films) must be sent to Kodak, or one of their spin-offs for processing. That could add a couple days, a week, three weeks...

Either way, I'll be the guinie pig and post some hopefully by the end of August. It would be nice to have some "near perfect" photo's of all different types of lights for a referance.
Old 08-11-03, 07:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

That's very interesting. I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics on my completely uncalibrated monitor
Old 08-13-03, 06:48 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I know Why do it when the internet compression is still only 72DPI.

I'll problably just put barely formatted ones uncompressed on a host anyways, along with amybe for once attaching an image on here =P