Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HIDs on Lexus RX-300

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 12:16 PM
DrRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HIDs on Lexus RX-300

I am seriously contemplating getting HIDs for my 2003 RX-300 from Autolamps-Online / HID-Online, but came across the following interesting thread (edited) over on the HID-forum. Has anyone here had similar problems with HID installs on an RX-300?? What type of wiring harness does Autolamps-Online / HID-Online supply with their kits - i.e. a fused harness that pulls power direct from the battery, or one that mimics the OEM setup?? I am trying to determine my likelihood of running into headaches with such an install on my vehicle before I take the plunge into HID.....

Here is the link for all who want the full story: http://www.hidforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=rx300

I have purchased a 9006 stage 1 4300k kit from Hids4less for my '00 Lexus RX300 and have also purchased the same stage 1 kit w/ H7 bulbs for my '99 Volvo S70.

The Lexus has already been converted. The Volvo is next - but I want to resolve some issues that I’m having with the Lexus first. But I really do love the results of the much improved HID lighting!

On the Lexus I am having some problems. The installation went very easily. Plug-N-Play. The problem that I’m having is – the passenger side bulb will not light right away. When it does light – it stays lit. But I have to flip the headlamp switch on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off, to get it to light. The weird thing is that it doesn’t always do this! Sometimes it lights first try. Other times it takes many, many, many flips to get it.

I have switched bulbs and ballasts from one side to other and get the very same results – passenger side lamp doesn’t fire unless it is switched on/off several times. Drivers side always lights first try.

As a rule because of this difficulty, I now always make sure to turn off the AC, radio and anything else electrical – before stopping the car so that the next time I start the car it is not drawing anything other than the HIDs when I turn them on. That seems to have helped a little – but not even close to all the way!

I have disconnected the DRL fuse (as suggested by Hids4less) but the DRL circuit on this car is kind of strange. Toyota/Lexus has incorporated the DRLs along with the high beams. They are actually the very same bulbs. They have installed a resistor to lower the power to these halogen bulbs for DRL – then boost it when the driver selects high beams. Even though I’ve removed the DRL fuse, as shown in the manual, the DRLs still go on when I start the car – except now the high beams don’t work!! Confusing! I don’t care if I lose the high beams – the HIDs make them almost unnecessary.

Has anyone here ever made an installation on a Lexus RX300? And/or does anyone have any suggestions of what I try next? I think that the Toyota Highlander has the same circuitry (but I’m not exactly sure) so if anyone has made an install on that car it might be of help.

The Lexus also has auto lamps that go on (if selected) when ambient light gets low. It’s a real nice feature that I’d like to get back – only I’m never sure if the lamps have gone on correctly - so I resort to pulling up to something where I can actually see if the bulbs are lit before driving off. (that’s getting real boring!!)

I’m trying to figure this problem out before doing the install on the Volvo in case I run into the same difficulties.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Problem Solved!!!

I just so happened to be in Pawtucket, RI (of all places) last week on a biz trip when I suddenly remembered that HIDS4Less is located there! I gave them a call to get directions and I swear they were only about 5 or 6 blocks from where I was! Small world - I just wouldn't want to paint it! (Stephen Wright)

But I digress....

Anyway, I spoke to Mike in their shop and explained my problems of the pass side lamp not firing. He said that I needed a fused harness to hook it up directly to the battery and supply a direct charge. Just as Nater had suggested. (thanks again Nater!)

Mike gave me a wire harness right there, explained how it’s to be wired and off I went to the airport to head back here to ATL.

Next day I wired it up in roughly 20 minutes (still need to work on cleaning up the wiring a little) and the thing works PERFECTLY NOW!!! I set the auto lamp selector on my car again - and the lights come on when it gets dark or starting in the garage - as it's supposed to! Everything is back to normal operation again!

So - if any one else ever has this problem - be sure to contact your kit supplier (in my case HIDS4Less) and get a harness to wire it up to the car battery. It’s really pretty easy. Sure - it's more wiring and another little box to mount - but that's the only way to go!