Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

retrofit HID projectors for SC300s

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 07:15 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used an entire HID assembly from the bmw e39. here is a pic of the light on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-2.jpg  
Old 11-09-03, 01:03 PM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 96sc
after with cutout

When I had a my SC300 I aways wondered what removing that tab would make the light output and cut off look like. Could you take pictures and post them?
Old 11-10-03, 10:15 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Re: lens

Originally posted by Jmai22
i have bmw E39 projectors bulbs and ballast in my car. its a perfect fit. just cut out the old projector and JB weld on the new projector. they are still fully adjustable up down left right
Wish it was just as easy for the ES300. Mine was a little more of a stretch involving smaller projectors and mounting problems (at first). Now I figured out how to use bigger sizes and will undoubtly upgrade from my E46 DOT to Audi RS-6 ECE in the near future(similar to the E39 Jmai22 used). As far as the light without the sheild, I'll be the first to tell you that its unberable. Imagine your high beams on when the lowbeam switch is activated and you almost have the idea of what is it looks like.
Mike
Old 11-12-03, 12:49 AM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default photos

here are a couple photos of the lights on the car, they look great on the car and are definately not to bright, it all depends on which bulbs, projectors, lenses etc you adapt to fit in your specific car, i have not been pulled over once because of them, nor has anyone complained.
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-hid1.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 12:50 AM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default pic 2

pic 2
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-hid2.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 12:50 AM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default pic3

pic 3
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-hid3.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 07:54 AM
2Lexus430s
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: photos

here are a couple photos of the lights on the car, they look great on the car and are definately not to bright, it all depends on which bulbs, projectors, lenses etc you adapt to fit in your specific car, i have not been pulled over once because of them, nor has anyone complained.

Did you notice a big different compared to not removing that tab?
Old 11-12-03, 09:02 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

96sc, Your cutoff line looks a little uneven.
Old 11-12-03, 06:34 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default lights

There is a huge difference in the light pattern when take out the tab, compared to when its in from the factory. Not sure on the cutoff, it looks good to me in person, pics are good sometimes to illustrate but when looking for fine lines in light i would say its marginal at best.

The best way to do the conversion would be to swap out the entire projector, it seemed to be alot more work than i want to put in and i am pretty happy with the setup in its current state. Good luck with all your conversions, hopefully this illustration will help many others do to the same or similiar with there sc's.
Old 11-12-03, 08:55 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Your cutoff is blinding oncoming driver :O
Old 11-12-03, 09:11 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default lights

I don't know if i have driven past you anytime, but again i have had no complaints or have been pulled over and have seen my car driving towards me, it did not blind me at all and i like to think i have pretty sensitive eyes. This is an oem kit from an audi so in my opinion its not like any of the aftermarket kits which can be blinding.

I put this thread out here for people so they know how to install the hids if they choose. How the hid lights appear to you may differ with your experiences with other kits, it would be pretty hard for anyone to tell how my exact kit looks without seeing it in person or if you have same kit installed the same way as i listed here. This thread was put up here for information purposes only, people actually looking for help on how tos on this forum, not as an open critic section. I am sure anything helpful criticism or ideas would be appreciated by everyone. If you have experience installing these kits that would be helpful to others as well please post away.
Old 11-12-03, 09:57 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Default Re: lights

I don't know if i have driven past you anytime, but again i have had no complaints or have been pulled over and have seen my car driving towards me, it did not blind me at all and i like to think i have pretty sensitive eyes. This is an oem kit from an audi so in my opinion its not like any of the aftermarket kits which can be blinding.

I put this thread out here for people so they know how to install the hids if they choose. How the hid lights appear to you may differ with your experiences with other kits, it would be pretty hard for anyone to tell how my exact kit looks without seeing it in person or if you have same kit installed the same way as i listed here. This thread was put up here for information purposes only, people actually looking for help on how tos on this forum, not as an open critic section. I am sure anything helpful criticism or ideas would be appreciated by everyone. If you have experience installing these kits that would be helpful to others as well please post away.
I'm assuming that the pictures you have in front of your garage door is of your lights when your car is directly in front of it. If so, then the left of your cutoff line is higher than the right. A proper cutoff line should look as such:

A flipped cutoff line, as shown in your pictures will result in blinding oncoming drivers on U.S. roads. I am not judging but my own viewing of your lights, but merely by the pictures you provide.

I have done the X5 retrofit on my SC. Removed the stock projector and put in the X5 projectors. I am aware of the difficulties involved in alignment with HID retrofits. I am also not here to bust your chops so much as I am to warn you that you may be blinding other drivers. I absolutely HATE it when I am stuck in traffic and other drivers do NOT know that their HIDs are not aligned! Again, it's just a warning.
Old 11-13-03, 06:59 AM
JohnnyTCEO
Rookie

From what is said in this thread it seems like the E39 projectors would almost be an exact fit.
Would I be safe to assume that the Projectors from the SC430 would be a direct fit on the SC400 due to it being also an SC ?
Old 11-13-03, 09:21 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JohnnyTCEO
From what is said in this thread it seems like the E39 projectors would almost be an exact fit.
Would I be safe to assume that the Projectors from the SC430 would be a direct fit on the SC400 due to it being also an SC ?
yes
Old 11-14-03, 05:54 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default retrofit HID projectors for SC300s

Hi all, SC96, nice job! So what's the big deal with Audi projectors???

Quick Reply: retrofit HID projectors for SC300s