Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

retrofit HID projectors for SC300s

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 12:40 AM
piaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question retrofit HID projectors for SC300s

Does anyone know which other manufacturer's HID projectors will fit into a 1998 SC300? I heard others were able to install a BMW 5 series projector into the SC. Does anyone have any experience in this department that would like to share their experience?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-03, 12:45 AM
white93
Rookie

Yea, I'm with Piaa. Would love to know myself. I'd love to have a set of Audi A6 porjectors with hid on my car.
Old 08-28-03, 12:49 AM
piaa
Driver School Candidate

White93,

Will the audi A6 projectors fit our SC's? What is the size of the projectors (lenght and diameter) if any one knows...

Thanks
Old 09-04-03, 05:16 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

too small
Old 09-09-03, 05:06 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default audi retrofit

i have a set of audis in my sc, had to do some work to get them to work correctly but definately worth it. Here are some photos to see how it was done.

I used the stock projectors, audi bulbs, ballasts, wiring, and mounting bracket. No use for the projectors. I did have to split the headlights to cut out a piece of metal inside the projector so the light would shine thru equally, prior to this the light was in a v-pattern. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-mvc-011s.jpg  
Old 09-09-03, 05:10 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

factory photo of projector, needs to be cut.
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-mvc-013s.jpg  
Old 09-09-03, 05:12 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

after with cutout
Attached Thumbnails retrofit HID projectors for SC300s-mvc-015s.jpg  
Old 09-09-03, 09:27 PM
piaa
Driver School Candidate

96sc,

How did you get the head light unit off the car and how did you separate the head light unit? One more question, how did the audi bulb fit in the original 9006 bulb housing? Does the bulbs just fit like normal 9006 bulbs?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-03, 11:25 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default lights

Put the light assemblies in the oven at 180-200 for 20 minutes, pull out all clips and screws off back of light, use regular screw driver to pry cover off of lights then cut out metal piece as shown in pictures above, put back pieces in oven for 20 minutes and pull out to reassemble lights by pushing two halves together and reinstalling clips and screws.

The bulbs fit in the factory housings, by unscrewing the 3 screws on the factory projector housings, remove the factory plastic ring, install the hid bulb, and reassemble.

I have a set of extra audis xenons to complete this setup on your sc. Email me direct for info at wjhaggs@aol.com
Old 09-12-03, 02:21 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

96sc, so did you replace the entire projector or just the lens? The projectors were designed for the specific distance that the lens is from the light bulb. In addition, the stock housing covers the outer rim of light projecting from the bulb.

If you just replaced the bulb and wiring and put in the audi bulbs, it's just an HID kit in not a retrofit.

Last edited by siniquezu; 09-12-03 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 04:21 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default lights

i did it without changing the projectors, didn't really make a differnece in color or amount of light, i compared it with other hids in various audis. I did change the glass on one side to the hid glass out of an a6 projector looked the same to me. So from my experience its really not worth all the hassle swapping the projector out on an sc. You have to find the correct projector, i think tt will work good on an sc, or possibly an a6, then figure out a way to mount it with the capability to adjust the light up and down and side to side as our factory ones already do. I will have to take a couple photos at night and post them.
Old 09-12-03, 11:17 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

the projector units were designed to used together. when you mix match the projectors and relfector part of the projectors the beam patter will never be correct again. they have to all line up on the X, Y, Z axis. even if its off 1 cm the light pattern will be messed up. the way you have yours setup its more of a hid kit rather than a retrofit. the lens honestly controls and determines the quality of the light output. at first i thought the same way you did. i thought all lens were the same. but trust me. the stock projector lens have a milky color to them. if you look at HID projector lens they are crystal clear.
Old 09-12-03, 11:32 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default lens

i have one lens from a hid projector and one is stock in my car currently, when i put some pictures up soon, you tell me the difference, i cannot tell at all. The pattern and amount of light seems the same on both sides to me. The only difference in the lenses that i noticed visually, is that the hid one has a small circular pattern, kind of ribbed that starts small at the center and gets bigger as you go to the edges. you have to look really close to see this.

Might be hard to tell from photos a difference, but they look great either way. To me they look the same as any other car with factory xenon's in them. Just trying to help others avoid more work in doing there conversions. I think the most important part is to cut out the little metal as shown in the pictures.

Did you do this conversion as well, did you change out the projectors on yours? Which projectors fit in the factory location good, how hard was it to do? Do you still have adjustments to raise the beam pattern left, right, up and down?

Hopefully this thread will help all others contemplating this modification.
Old 09-13-03, 01:03 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: lens

Originally posted by 96sc

Did you do this conversion as well, did you change out the projectors on yours? Which projectors fit in the factory location good, how hard was it to do? Do you still have adjustments to raise the beam pattern left, right, up and down?

Hopefully this thread will help all others contemplating this modification.
i have bmw E39 projectors bulbs and ballast in my car. its a perfect fit. just cut out the old projector and JB weld on the new projector. they are still fully adjustable up down left right
Old 09-13-03, 04:36 PM
96sc
Lead Lap

Default photos installed

Did you take any photos of them with the headlights split?

Quick Reply: retrofit HID projectors for SC300s