Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03 | 10:12 PM
Iron Chef
Pole Position

Originally posted by altstadt
They gave me a good discount- $550 plus shipping via UPS. You should see the CNC machine work they did on the base- very nice. The bulbs are crystal clear- as they should be from Phillips. The ballasts are huge- much larger than the ballasts from Mcculloch. More difficult to place. But, Phillips is supposed to be the best- So, I bought them. I will post the pics.

Altstadt
550 plus shipping doesn't seem all that great to me. I paid under 500 for mine.

I'm currently working on an SC, is 4100k a better choice for the projectors?
Old 08-30-03 | 03:38 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

i know someone that specialize in HID and retro fitting projectors into headlights.

i have that site bookmark, good read when i found it months ago.

here's something from that site: "The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go"

As far as color selection goes, there are two main color temperatures out there: ~4100 kelvin, which is OEM color, and ~6000 kelvin, which is aftermarket color. By the way, the term 'color temperature' does not have any correlation with the property of 'thermal temperature'. I personally do not see any reason for buying anything other than 4100K OEM, but that's me.

thats me too, im glad he knows his stuff.
i guess some people really do like blue in their light..

4100 = 4300. Manufacture’s just call them 4300 for some reason, i forgot.

from pictures on his site, its too hard to tell how great the HID are. because with digital cameras, you can adjust many things settings to get the best lighting.
i saw a picture where a guy took pictures of his halogen bulb headlight, with no flash, and they look like 4300k HID LOL

If i were to put hid in my sc400, i would get some E46 projectors and retrofit it in my lights. the halogen projectors wouldnt give me the best light =\
Old 08-30-03 | 08:04 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Iron Chef
550 plus shipping doesn't seem all that great to me. I paid under 500 for mine.

I'm currently working on an SC, is 4100k a better choice for the projectors?
I agree with Iron Chef, I mean if you look in the "ClubLexus Approved Vendors" Steve G has/had a Group Buy on McCulloch 5000k HID kits that connect right to the factory setup and I think you could have gotten diff bulbs... I think it was like 500 shipped I could be wrong... Also I am not sure how they measure up to the ones you got altstadt....

Steve G has done alot for CL
Shawn
Old 08-30-03 | 09:24 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

skpark your hids are pretty yellow... i thought mine were yellow yours are even more yellow than mine.... no offense... i'm just jealous of the new cars with hids... their light is so white compared to ours..
Old 08-30-03 | 10:08 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrshabo
skpark your hids are pretty yellow... i thought mine were yellow yours are even more yellow than mine.... no offense... i'm just jealous of the new cars with hids... their light is so white compared to ours..
I didn't post any pic of my hids.....
If your talking about the pics of BALLASTS I posted earlier the lights WEREN'T EVEN ON...

Here is a pic of my HID ON.
Is this look yellow to you....
Attached Thumbnails True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!-mysc2-025.jpg  

Last edited by skpark70; 08-30-03 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-30-03 | 10:15 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by skpark70
I didn't post any pic of my hids.....
If your talking about the pics of BALLASTS I posted earlier the lights WEREN'T EVEN ON...

Here is a pic of my HID ON.
Is this look yellow to you....
We have the same philips kit, but for some reason yours look yellow.
Old 08-30-03 | 10:21 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

LexusAristo,

Hmmmm, you really think so,
Could you post a pic of you HID I just wanted to compare to yours.

Thanks,
Old 08-30-03 | 10:54 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Pictures of headlights aren't really worth jack for comparisons unless you snap photos of two cars next to eachother with the same camera. And that doesn't necessarily mean they are accurate pics either. I can make 600 lumen look like 6000 lumen, I can make 3000 kelvin look like 6000 kelvin, and visa versa---and that's without Photoshop image editting, just camera settings! I've taken dozens and dozens of lighting pics of my and other members' lighting and in spite of my strides to achieve accuracy, I have yet to take a 100% accurate lighting picture. Even with a 100% accurate picture, you cannot capture the depth or intensity of the light to any true degree whatsoever.

That said, you do have HID, but I wouldn't call it "true HID" until it had "true HID" D2 sockets with D2 standard bulbs that plugged into "true HID" optics designed by Hella, Bosch, or any other OEM manfacturers. When you can stop by any Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinti, Porsche dealership and pick up new bulbs from the parts counter, you have true HIDs . Right now, you are still plugging into HB4 sockets and that is a halogen standard .

Congrats on the upgrade though. I don't personally like 6000k, they are too blue on the GS and IS for me, but on the SC they look nicer than 4100k. Never seen an HID4Less kit in person, so I can't judge the quality, but their prices are on the high side. I've always been irritated by that totally false advertisement too. They are noy even in the top 50% percentile of cheap HID kits, yet their company boasts to be so...
Old 08-30-03 | 11:10 PM
skpark70
Lexus Champion

Thanks Lex for clarifying that¡¦.
Old 08-30-03 | 11:53 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Lexsc400:

I can agree with you on the need for the HID optics to be true HID. Let me know of a housing that fits our light assemblies without hanging way out of the front, and is not ridiculously priced, and I will get them and put them in. Until then, I will be perfectly happy to live with my Stock optics (2000 model, brand new housings).

I will say, the lights are absolutely brilliant, I am stunned at the difference of the brightness of my HID's!!!!!!

Even the PIAA Extreme Whites look yellow and very dull next to the Phillips 6000k Ultinon's.

I really enjoyed driving around tonight with my new HID's. Great color, and very bright light right in front of my car (front and center). Love the added brilliance and the look- awesome.

As far as Steve Ganz, he is great- I just did not want McCulloch HID's. I wanted Phillips.

As far as HIDS4less price- I felt $550 was an excellent price for true Phillips ballasts and true Phillips bulbs. To others, well, it was my money that I spent, so I am happy with it. I never let price be my deciding factor, unless the two items are identical- Value and quality are first for me. Almost always, the cheaper the price, the more corners are cut. How else can one make money??????????

Altstadt
Old 08-31-03 | 01:25 AM
808SC300
Pole Position

Pics?
Old 08-31-03 | 01:42 AM
Wald GS

Originally posted by skpark70
LexusAristo,

Hmmmm, you really think so,
Could you post a pic of you HID I just wanted to compare to yours.
Thanks,
Here's the pic and if anyone wants to know where I got this kit, please PM me.
Attached Thumbnails True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!-hidsheadon1cl.jpg  

Last edited by Wald GS; 08-31-03 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-31-03 | 01:43 AM
Wald GS

Attached Thumbnails True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!-hidsheadon2cl.jpg  
Old 09-01-03 | 02:51 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

lex400sc, great post. i couldn't have said it better myself.
funny how i said that it wasnt true HID, but once you step in, everyone agrees? o_O

I think some people in here needs to learn how to take pictures of headlights..
Dont take pictures of the car dead on, infront of the camera, like those pictures above. Try taking pictures of the HID lights shinning on the street, and against the wall.

like i said before, the projectors on the SC isnt all that great for HID. Retrofit is the best way to get the true oem HID lighting. I also hope most of you guys aim your HID right, and if your car doesnt use projectors, i hope you're using some reflectors on your HID.
I just hate to get blind by on coming traffic that have aftermarket HID, with getho setups, which produce glare.
Old 09-01-03 | 02:57 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

oh yea, lets see how smart you guys are.. Can you guess what kind of light setup i have?
Check out my nice cut off, and zero glare
Attached Thumbnails True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!-dsc01114.jpg  

Quick Reply: True HID's.........At Last!!!!!!!!!!!!