Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Check out this install (Bi-Xenon)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 11:38 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
i have read a few good things about the ECE projector. they are suppose to have a much further cutoff line. i wouldn't waste too much money (if you are tight on money) on fog lights. all you need is a good set of low beam and it will ight up the road fine. the fog lights are too low to the ground to be able to light up a far distance.

if you sell your old projectors i may want them.

as for the distant of the projecter from the lens. well when mine was done it was pretty far back. i actually redid mine and moved it up against the lens. the projector is actually touching the lens. if i were to move it back even 1-2cm i would not get the upside down U because of the bumper.

as for new bulbs. i already tried buying 1 new HID bulb and it was just as bright as my old one. i could not even tell which ones are newer or older or brighter or dimmer. sorry to say but i think you may have just wasted money on bulbs.
MAn those ECEs have got to be nice. I believe the only DOT projector that compares is the S2000 Honda model. Man I had the opportunity to drive 200 miles from Chicago to Urbana on the I-57 tonight and I trailed a red 02 S2000 with HID like half way. Those things are AWESOME! I mean the cuttoff was so potent that at 3 car lengths, you can see the lines as defined as if they're right up against a wall. And ge this, you can see any and all color of the cuttoff band in that "picture" cast out by the super sharp cuttoff beam pattern. Its so clear, it's light years away from our stuff. I hope ECE units are like that. I can't wait to get my new projectors. I got one of the New Audi RS6/ Mercedes E55 AMG units that are similar to the E39/ X5 BMW units. It means more cutting and grinding in that headlight metal fixture to make em fit but it'll be worth it. In fact, I'm gonna shift them as close to the clear plastic lense that it's gotta work. John, you've got to see the HID with the Audi TT projectors on the ES300. From oncoming traffic and looking at them head on, they look exactly like the real thing. And I guess for me driving like tonight's little road trip, they worked out pretty well after I made some height adjustments and got more light to show on the ground . BUT I can't wait for those ECE thangs! I'll keep you guys posted. Make me an offer for the TT projectors. They come complete with Aluminum covers (not like BMW ones) that slide over the gaps between the metal brackets that let Godly amounts of light seep through. These things shield all that lost light and focus it right on the road. They'll probably look better on your car?
Mike
Old 10-03-03, 08:41 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
as i said to you before. good fogs will due minimal. from behind the wheel i could barely tell if my HID fogs are on or off. fog light only light up the immediate area right in front of the car bumper out to like 3 feet. but from behind the wheel you usually can't see anything right in front of the car. there is like a 4 feet area that is blocked because of the hood, bumper, steering wheel and engine. you get my point. what i'm trying to say is that the fog lights are way too low to the ground to get any distance. unless you have 300-400 dollars and a day to spare and you are more of a costmetic person sure 4 HID's would look very nice coming from behind.
Fogs were only meant to light up more lateral viewing. They have wider display to light up the side of the road for you. The low clearance is meant to allow additional light without adding to the low beam birghtness. What I wanted to do was just add some really low profile fogs (non HIDs) to complement the staggered light look.

tiguy99, How did you construct the aluminum around the projectors? I don't think it would reflect the light correctly. What I did was make a rubber boot around the stock opening to absorb and block the light instead of attempting to reflect it.
Old 10-03-03, 09:02 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally posted by siniquezu
Fogs were only meant to light up more lateral viewing. They have wider display to light up the side of the road for you. The low clearance is meant to allow additional light without adding to the low beam birghtness. What I wanted to do was just add some really low profile fogs (non HIDs) to complement the staggered light look.

tiguy99, How did you construct the aluminum around the projectors? I don't think it would reflect the light correctly. What I did was make a rubber boot around the stock opening to absorb and block the light instead of attempting to reflect it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 10-03-03, 09:28 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

I don't see one for the E46 projectors....
Old 10-03-03, 10:25 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

E46 and Audi TT are use the same projectors
Old 10-03-03, 11:08 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

whoops, I meant the X5.
I wish I had the E46.

Last edited by siniquezu; 10-03-03 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 11:21 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by tiguy99
MAn those ECEs have got to be nice. I believe the only DOT projector that compares is the S2000 Honda model. Man I had the opportunity to drive 200 miles from Chicago to Urbana on the I-57 tonight and I trailed a red 02 S2000 with HID like half way. Those things are AWESOME! I mean the cuttoff was so potent that at 3 car lengths, you can see the lines as defined as if they're right up against a wall. And ge this, you can see any and all color of the cuttoff band in that "picture" cast out by the super sharp cuttoff beam pattern. Its so clear, it's light years away from our stuff. I hope ECE units are like that. I can't wait to get my new projectors. I got one of the New Audi RS6/ Mercedes E55 AMG units that are similar to the E39/ X5 BMW units. It means more cutting and grinding in that headlight metal fixture to make em fit but it'll be worth it. In fact, I'm gonna shift them as close to the clear plastic lense that it's gotta work. John, you've got to see the HID with the Audi TT projectors on the ES300. From oncoming traffic and looking at them head on, they look exactly like the real thing. And I guess for me driving like tonight's little road trip, they worked out pretty well after I made some height adjustments and got more light to show on the ground . BUT I can't wait for those ECE thangs! I'll keep you guys posted. Make me an offer for the TT projectors. They come complete with Aluminum covers (not like BMW ones) that slide over the gaps between the metal brackets that let Godly amounts of light seep through. These things shield all that lost light and focus it right on the road. They'll probably look better on your car?
Mike
man i just realized how great of a deal you just got on those ECE projectors. that is really really cheap. you gotta tell me the difference between DOT and ECE after you have converted.

i know what you mean by the cutoffline on the s2000. when they are like 3 cars back there cutoffline is still super sharp and at the top of the cutoffline its blue. yours is probly a bit yellow.
Old 10-03-03, 12:21 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Man! How'd you know? I did the cuttoff mod making them do the color flicker thing a while back by adding an additional aluminum shield on top of my cuttoff however, it was 1 mm taller then my sheild which cost me big problems down the line as far as aiming goes. I eventually took them off and now I've got more light but no flicker. (Does that make sense?) However, I plan on modding up the OEM sheilds to project a rainbow of color (either that or an intense violet).

This thread contained my aluminum sheild experiment BEFORE I placed them behind the ES300 plastic lense

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=82312

Imagine that much color actually put out on the road!!!
Old 10-03-03, 12:55 PM
lcc014
Driver

Thumbs up

When you convert your stock halogen low beam to projection HID light with the BMW lens, do you care about making a big hole in the original lamp housing to fit the BMW lens ? This modification means the low beam side original chrome reflector is no longer needed, am I correct ?? The BMW lens will provide the same function as the original chrome reflector in the lamp housing, correct ??

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 10-03-03, 01:46 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally posted by lcc014
When you convert your stock halogen low beam to projection HID light with the BMW lens, do you care about making a big hole in the original lamp housing to fit the BMW lens ? This modification means the low beam side original chrome reflector is no longer needed, am I correct ?? The BMW lens will provide the same function as the original chrome reflector in the lamp housing, correct ??

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
By converting, are you refering to the 97+ reflective lights of the ES300 or are you refering to the projfector version? I think you are talking about the original Acura link above. Either way, when you retrofit the new projector, you need to cut through a hole big enough to fit intellegently. In that case, you really don't care about cutting through you optics because you will no longer need that portion of the headlamp. The projector will supply all the necessary light from this point on and function as the main source of light. Check out this Toyota Camry Retro that was recently done. This should answer alot of questions:

http://www.toyotanation.com/showthre...threadid=22105

Last edited by tiguy99; 10-03-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 01:48 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Here's one more:

http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1007
Old 10-03-03, 02:03 PM
lcc014
Driver

Thank,

That is exactly what I want to confirm.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 01-25-06, 08:43 AM
solive
Driver School Candidate

I'm considering a retro fit for my 98 es300. I'm hereing good things about the new LS430 projectors. It's been said by that they have a very good spread. What keeps me from doing the retro fit is finding someone who is good at doing such as job. I've seen some fits and one project if off will produce a glare. I'm guessing that the glare is produced from the projector being incorrectly installed and angled. Who would you recommand for a good retro fit?